This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

when are you meant to change gears up when playing racing games?

#1madness82Posted 7/25/2013 5:40:25 PM
I have never been sure about this - are you meant to change up when the dial gets to the start of the red bit, or when it goes all the way to the end of the red bit? Or are different games different? What do racers do in real life? (I don't drive) etc
#2skiguy1981Posted 7/25/2013 5:44:41 PM
madness82 posted...
I have never been sure about this - are you meant to change up when the dial gets to the start of the red bit, or when it goes all the way to the end of the red bit? Or are different games different? What do racers do in real life? (I don't drive) etc

the start of the red
---
The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
#3madness82(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2013 5:49:44 PM
skiguy1981 posted...
madness82 posted...

the start of the red

Thanks, that is what I thought but I am currently playing Rage Racer on PS1 and using automatic gears it changes when it gets all the way round to the end of the red

I might try Forza sometime if I get it again to see what that does as I can't remember - I always used to use automatic on race games but a while back started using manual
#4TheBlueStigPosted 7/25/2013 7:41:16 PM
Depends on the track, the car, and the horsepower and torque curve of the engine, and whether or not the game has engine damage for revving too high.

You shift up at the point where you get the highest RPM on the NEXT gear, to keep the engine in the highest horsepower range throughout the rev range.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#5SoincMetalPosted 7/25/2013 7:59:50 PM
Ahhh GT3 was the only game I played in MT, good times. I might have played Forza 2 like that at one point but went to AT. Quick note: in GT3 that Cadillac CTS has 6 gears in MT, 5 in AT.............. im sure there's a few more cars like that also.
---
SonicMetal? See the error in my name! I Skate DGK All Day. Brawl FC:4511-0201-6892
#6TheMuffinPosted 7/25/2013 8:02:58 PM
In Forza I do it by ear. You can hear when the gear has reached peak and it's time to shift.
---
JascoD~ He said black ops 2, not Battlefield 3. CoD can be played at the same time you're making a sandwich.
#7TheBlueStigPosted 7/25/2013 8:11:20 PM
TheMuffin posted...
In Forza I do it by ear. You can hear when the gear has reached peak and it's time to shift.

That's not always the time to shift.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#8kungfuj0Posted 7/25/2013 10:30:23 PM
TheMuffin posted...

I sometimes do it that way as well. If you get to know your car pretty well, it will kinda tell you what it needs.

That is certainly not the most precise method for learning when to shift, but for someone who is going from AT to MT, it is a good starting point. It is how I learned when I made the change from AT to MT in Forza 2. I was all AT up until then, but for some reason, I decided to switch when Forza 2 came out, and I haven't looked back since. I even have to use manual in arcade racers now, and it bugs me when I can't do it in games like GTA!
---
And to think...people laughed at me when I said MS could out-EA EA any day of the week.
Who's laughing now, *****es???