This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What video games are the equivalent of Best Picture Oscar bait?

#1GuillermoGagePosted 7/26/2013 3:04:15 PM
1998 Game of the Year:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Metal Gear Solid
Pokémon Red Version and Pokémon Blue Version
StarCraft
Half-Life

1999 Game of the Year:
Super Smash Bros.

2000:
Perfect Dark
Deus Ex
Majora's Mask
Pokémon Gold and Silver

2001:
Halo: Combat Evolved
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Pikmin
Ico
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Grand Theft Auto III

2002:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Metroid Fusion

2003:
Viewtiful Joe
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Beyond Good and Evil
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

2004:
Halo 2
Half-Life 2

2005:
Shadow of the Colossus
Psychonauts

2006:
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Bully
Okami

Then stuff like Portal, and whatever artsy indie games and whatnot.

Yeah I'm not very knowledgeable about 1999 video games.

I'm not specifically talking about fan favorite video games, but games that have that fancy prestige about them. That would make them get nominated for an Oscar or a Golden Globe. Not just a People's Choice Award or MTV Award.
#2EvilCactusPosted 7/26/2013 3:17:58 PM
There is no equivalent to the Oscar in gaming. Most AAA games today are designed by marketing departments and focus groups before they are even touched by an auteur. The closest you get is probably the indie games section on Steam.
---
sig here
#3Enix BelmontPosted 7/26/2013 3:21:03 PM
Games like Last of Us practically seemed design to get GOTY, if that makes sense.

Not knocking it, but it seems to hit the notes that journalists love intentionally.
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.
#4EvilCactusPosted 7/26/2013 3:23:26 PM
But if you want to get technical, the most widely known video game awards are the laughable Spike TV VGAs, which are run by major publishers. In which case, your so-called Oscar bait games are stuff like Call of Duty, Uncharted, Just Dance, Farmville, etc. Games that are tailored for the lowest common denominator to appeal to a mass market.
---
sig here
#5Arucard05Posted 7/26/2013 3:27:39 PM
Games like Journey and The Walking Dead.
---
I'm not a fan of old women that are scared of their pot going cold but I still loved Deadly Premonition - HeLeeham
#6GuillermoGage(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2013 3:28:10 PM
EvilCactus posted...
But if you want to get technical, the most widely known video game awards are the laughable Spike TV VGAs, which are run by major publishers. In which case, your so-called Oscar bait games are stuff like Call of Duty, Uncharted, Just Dance, Farmville, etc. Games that are tailored for the lowest common denominator to appeal to a mass market.

Those are the Teen Choice Awards, or even the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards.

I'm talking about the Oscars and the Golden Globes.

The closest equivalent, altho not widely televised or televised at all, it this: http://www.interactive.org/
#7Arucard05Posted 7/26/2013 3:30:39 PM
The Academy of Interactive Arts and Science's DICE awards are the closest equivalent.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
It's better than bad.
#8oasisbeyondPosted 7/26/2013 3:36:43 PM
What's the point of this topic? You just mentioned games of the year...
Do you see Transformers winning best movie? Come on. It might win some mtv trash "Kinda like what we have with video games, or some special effects awards but it won't win best picture.

The more years go by the more sites put up games like Ico, Shadow Of The Colossus, and soon Journey will be in their top #5 of all time, yet they barely put them before in their top 25 on the system... That's how it works I guess in this industry.

But, you did a good job mentioning the best games of the year and that's not so easy with movies. Games have a more emotional effect on us, so we tend to remember the year, what happened, and what were we doing in life when we played that game.

1999 Was a great year.
Quake III Arena
Unreal Tournament
Rayman 2
Soul Reaver
GT2
Lots of other great games, but they weren't near grand like games like Zelda OoT. Silent Hill, Driver, System Shock 2, Age of Empires 2, Final Fantasy VIII... Was a great year for all gamers from console to pc. One of the last great years for pc imo.
Was a fun year for gaming.
#9velvet_hammerPosted 7/26/2013 4:05:21 PM
Enix Belmont posted...
Games like Last of Us practically seemed design to get GOTY, if that makes sense.

Not knocking it, but it seems to hit the notes that journalists love intentionally.

I'm pretty sure most journalists love good games.. but that could just be me
---
"Hope you got a powerful chin, b/c they say a blow j** is flowers for men"
#10HulkxxSMASHPosted 7/26/2013 4:16:04 PM
The lack of Shenmue in this topic made me die a little inside.
---
Hulk is strongest one there is... Hulk is... only one there is... only one... there... is... Hulk feels... cold