This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kinda sad what happened with Phil Fish...

#1adampeltzPosted 7/28/2013 4:29:41 PM
I posted this on the Fez board, but I decided to re-post here. I want to open a serious discussion here.

He had so much promise. He was almost like a young Shigeru Miyamoto when you see what he was capable of designing. It sucks that he didn't exhibit a more reserved decorum when addressing the media and interacting with others via social media.

I feel like he didn't deserve all the hate he got. His ego was backed up by one of the deepest titles I've ever played. His message, though esoteric, is an overall positive one. And his game was a respectful celebration of many other great titles that preceded his. And all of Fez's many dimensions compliment each other in a really cool, yet subtle way that reveals itself in many layers slowly for a gamer with enough curiosity to poke around.

It's truly a shame that he came off as someone who was hateful, when in reality, anyone who played his game can see there is genuine love for the gaming community and industry at large right there in the world he created.

It's really too bad. I wanted to see what else he could make. You should just see the tons of trolls on Polytron's website. It's no wonder he decided to walk away.

I posted in June that Fez II's announcement was the highlight of my E3. Now, it really seems like we'll never know what could have been. In fact, many gamers who have not played Fez really don't realize the damage that was done, and the brilliant mind that we lost as a gaming community.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#2TheBlueStigPosted 7/28/2013 4:31:31 PM
Not sad at all, you won't find any defenders of Fish here, he's a dick.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#3glassghost0Posted 7/28/2013 4:32:31 PM
TheBlueStig posted...

This ^

He got what he deserved. Fez was a garbage game anyway.
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#4snowboard340Posted 7/28/2013 4:35:04 PM
#5adampeltz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2013 4:37:45 PM
I'll defend him, then.
---
#6Bac0n01Posted 7/28/2013 4:37:53 PM
The guy needs a filter. He came off like a total whiny baby.
---
Michael: "What was the most inspiring thing I ever said to you?"
Dwight: "Don't be an idiot. Changed my life."
#7adampeltz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2013 4:39:09 PM
People blew his public statements way out of proportion. And Fez was amazing, not garbage.
---
#8CaIiber345Posted 7/28/2013 4:39:16 PM
I never played Fez. All I know is there was a nasty gamebreaking save bug that never got fixed, and it pissed off a lot of gamers.

As for Fish, well... Take your ball and go home, man. Yes, we all have emotions and react differently to criticism, as well as the other crappy stuff that people say. But if everyone just up and quit when people said things they didn't like about what they do for a living, or how they do it...

If he's no longer interested in the industry because he wants a new direction in life, fine. We're all entitled to that. But if "whiny gamers" and his critics and negative reaction to his game and his opinions put him off...later, Phil. You made an Arcade game. Good for you. Gaming will move on just fine without you.
---
The Price is Right, Don Mattrick, and a nuclear submarine all walk into a bar...
"Someone saw a cockroach up on twelve." - Dr. Peter Venkman
#9adampeltz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2013 4:39:48 PM
Bac0n01 posted...
The guy needs a filter. He came off like a total whiny baby.

I agree with you there.
---
#10adampeltz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2013 4:41:19 PM
CaIiber345 posted...
I never played Fez. All I know is there was a nasty gamebreaking save bug that never got fixed, and it pissed off a lot of gamers.

As for Fish, well... Take your ball and go home, man. Yes, we all have emotions and react differently to criticism, as well as the other crappy stuff that people say. But if everyone just up and quit when people said things they didn't like about what they do for a living, or how they do it...

If he's no longer interested in the industry because he wants a new direction in life, fine. We're all entitled to that. But if "whiny gamers" and his critics and negative reaction to his game and his opinions put him off...later, Phil. You made an Arcade game. Good for you. Gaming will move on just fine without you.

Yea, but did you actually see his own company's website? This went beyond criticism. This was collective online bullying. It was abuse.
---