This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

does 120hz and 240hz have any benefit in console gaming?

#1greekgamerPosted 8/6/2013 5:59:33 PM
I understand that TV's just can't do it and they use some sort of technology that doubles the frames. Wouldn't that just cause input lag because most of those extra stuff is sometimes recommended to turn off. Anyone have a TV with these settings and enjoying it over a normal 60hz. TV.
---
[ = [__] = ]
[ + [__] -:- ]
#2vigorm0rtisPosted 8/6/2013 6:01:25 PM
Not yet.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF http://i.imgur.com/D9R0iaQ.gif
#3NightSadPosted 8/6/2013 6:02:14 PM
I do have it s called true motion and yes it really improves the display but causes some serious input lag...

I have the lg 42wl5700 3d smart tv
---
I used to post a good thread like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.
xbox x360:GT: El Sadshadow
#4oasisbeyondPosted 8/6/2013 6:04:38 PM
no
#5greekgamer(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 6:20:06 PM
so i should avoid 120hz if i mostly use it for console gaming?
---
[ = [__] = ]
#6no1oblivionfanPosted 8/6/2013 6:54:02 PM
greekgamer posted...

It's pointless. We are never going to see a console game require 120 Hz TVs. it makes no difference.
---
Steam: An_Orang3e
GT: DanDan4000
#7greekgamer(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 7:06:42 PM
no1oblivionfan posted...
greekgamer posted...

It's pointless. We are never going to see a console game require 120 Hz TVs. it makes no difference.

I understand that it may not require it. But i did stat if it made it look nicer. But it seems that the performance will be lost. wonder how noticeable it is. never actually played on a tv with high hz.

Well on my samsung tv i don't notice any difference in games with it's effects on, gaming mode on and off. It's a old tv and only 720p thou.
---
[ = [__] = ]
#8NeoGeoXSegaPosted 8/6/2013 8:31:34 PM
120hz & 240hz LCD's TV have Motion interpolation modes.
They have two purposes.

1) It lessen ghosting. The highest settings can make the games look they are running on a CRT monitor & not on a LCD.

2) They also basically convert the framerate to 60fps. Even if the game isn't 60fps.
The 240hz TV's do this better than the 120hz though.
---
"gone are the days of creativity, and playing japanese games because you secretly wish you were japanese" -CinisterX
#9SheepinatorPosted 8/7/2013 6:46:36 AM
IMO you need to turn that crap off for gaming, and/or turn on Game Mode if you have it. For the TV to smooth the image over multiple frames, meaning the image you see at any moment is a blend of the real-time image plus previous image(s), means it is introducing lag. Plus it means the TV is introducing more motion artifacts since some games already do motion blur anyway.

As for console games running >60fps, not in the next 10 years. They often run physics simulations much faster, but not graphics.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#10greekgamer(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2013 5:24:53 PM(edited)
So if primarily all you do is console gaming on your tv. better off getting a 60hz tv?
I bet if you get a more expensive TV it would actally look better and be able to process the picture better? It could be there but it's not noticable. Even without gaming mode.
---
[ = [__] = ]