This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people ask "do I need to play the first one to understand this one"?

#1usmovers_02Posted 8/10/2013 5:34:57 AM
I can't think of a single instance where the answer to that question has been "yes". There are SO few games with complex stories and characters. Even the games WITH complex stories ALWAYS tell an isolated story for each game. Just look at the Mass Effect series. And any story that connects a series of games is always addressed in the sequels too so new players aren't left in the dark.

Of course there are plenty of games where playing the previous titles is a good idea simply because the story told is really good. For an instance you can definitely play Bioshock: Infinite w/o having played B1 or 2 and love the story but playing Bioshock 1 will add to the experience. Even still playing the previous titles is completely unnecessary because the common themes and story elements are all addressed in Infinite.

/pointless rant
---
www.nohomophobes.com
#2656stoogePosted 8/10/2013 5:39:58 AM
Go play the Xeno Clash 2 trial and try to explain what the hell is going on.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#3RumbleSmithPosted 8/10/2013 5:44:22 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4SunDevil77Posted 8/10/2013 6:05:54 AM
If you don't care about story, just say that. It goes much deeper than just the basic plot. For example in Halo 4, Chief and Cortana's interaction is much more emotional if you've been with the series for a long time. The ending is so much more impactful
---
Justice...is what I seek, Kemosabe.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#5656stoogePosted 8/10/2013 6:13:09 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
If you don't care about story, just say that. It goes much deeper than just the basic plot. For example in Halo 4, Chief and Cortana's interaction is much more emotional if you've been with the series for a long time. The ending is so much more impactful

Not to mention more story driven games like MGS. Sure you could start with the forth part, but I doubt you'd know half of what was going on.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#6usmovers_02(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2013 7:34:59 AM
SunDevil77 posted...

But you still don't need to play the earlier games to understand whats going on. I admitted in the first post that there ARE advantages but games aren't like a book series. If you started in the middle of Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings you'd be completely lost. If you started with Halo 4 you'll hardly miss a thing (not that the Halo games have any real depth to their story).

And good stories absolutely do matter to me. But I have yet to play a game with a story on par with a book or movie. While you can tell a pretty good story in a video game it's not the strength of the medium. For an instance Half Life and Mass Effect are both franchises that are generally considered to have really good stories. But if you remove the gameplay and leave nothing but the story you have nothing more that a typical summer blockbuster.

This is not a topic that actually matters to me at all. I'm just really bored and depressed (lost my job) so here I am.
---
www.nohomophobes.com
#7TheBlueStigPosted 8/10/2013 8:29:56 AM
usmovers_02 posted...
But you still don't need to play the earlier games to understand whats going on.

Every sequel, even prequels, for movies and games and books, all use information from previous games that will have a greater impact on the story if you played the original. There's parts you would never know what they mean if you never played the original, and there's parts they leave out because you're supposed to know about them already.

Here's a hint for you that might send that point home. If you've seen all the Star Wars movies in the originally released order of 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, then go watch them in Episodic Order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and see all the information they leave out because you're supposed to have seen it already.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#8RE2LeonSPosted 8/10/2013 9:19:02 AM
In terms of story

Resident Evil 1 - 2
ObsCure 1 - 2
Dead Space 1 - 2
Saints Row 1 - 2
Assassin's Creed 1 - 2 (Desmond's story)
Condemned 1 - 2
F.E.A.R. 1 - 2

Need more?
---
My views on DLC, if it takes longer for me to work to pay for it than actually play it, it's not worth it. Don't buy Capcom games! GamerTag - RE2LeonS
#9AnonymousFriendPosted 8/10/2013 3:41:22 PM
Mass Effect 2 barely touches any of the information to expain the different aliens. My love of the very aliens comes from the groundwork provided by the first game.
---
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend
#10Dragon NexusPosted 8/10/2013 4:40:54 PM
Assassins Creed gives you no catch up time at all, it just dumps you straight into the story and tells you to move your stupid monkey ass.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde