This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Out of curiousity, at what price do you take a chance on a video game?

#1gadragodPosted 8/13/2013 5:31:31 PM
To clarify, for me to take a "chance," on a game, meaning I'm uncertain or know little about it, I refuse to go above $15.00. A $7.50 price tag and below is damn-near a sure thing for me to buy in, but I could go as high as $15, if I hear good things about the game.

I am willing to spend full price on a game ($40-60), and often do, but only on games that I "know" that I'll be into. I've been burned too many times in the past by taking a chance on a game over a certain price.

You?
#2liquidblue4Posted 8/13/2013 5:39:40 PM
Anything that looks good or awesome: $60 - $150 usually bought new + LE
Anything that looks decent: $15 - $30 depending
Anything that I don't know about or that looks meh: $0 - $12
---
Do you like beer?
https://www.facebook.com/WvBeerGuide
#3orangeneePosted 8/13/2013 5:39:53 PM
15. Anything below that is worth a gamble.
---
Official Official of the Official board!!!
GT/PSN:Hellsteeth30
#4DieMyBridePosted 8/13/2013 5:48:04 PM
Well for me I put a lot of research and thought into the games I'm looking at. It really depends on what kind of game it is, how much content it has (this rule probably has costed me many great experiences with games) and the reception it has gotten.

I just purchased Final Fantasy 13-2 for $10. That was the highest I'd pay for it. Based on a major reason, I practically never play traditional JRPGs (last one i ever played was Star Ocean on PSone). The only 2 other JRPGs I've played are Nier and Dragon's Dogma, if you would consider those JRPGs at all. I've wanted to really get into JRPGs but haven't found one that felt right.

At $10 I can deal with giving it a shot. If not, my sister might like the game. She likes this stuff more than me.
#5SolGerXPosted 8/13/2013 5:49:30 PM
liquidblue4 posted...
Anything that looks good or awesome: $60 - $150 usually bought new + LE
Anything that looks decent: $15 - $30 depending
Anything that I don't know about or that looks meh: $0 - $12

i'm kinda like this. i try not to have backlog. i just buy if i'm going to play it or just rent from redbox if it's a short game. i pay the 60 if i know for sure i'm going to like the game. other than that i wait on price drop or buy super cheap.
---
GamerTag: SolGer360
#6Justice98405Posted 8/13/2013 5:53:46 PM
Nier is the PERFECT example, and I honestly cannot remember how much I paid for it online. I think it was 20 dollars. And that's about the threshold for me for 'taking a chance' on a game. And I'm glad it was in that range for me, because I ended up liking it. It was looking not good from the footage and reviews, and so I passed on it. And I think I found it online for whatever price, looked over the game again, and decided to take the plunge.

I think I paid the same for Deadly Premonition, come to think of it. Upgraded to the Director's Cut on PS3 when it came out a couple months ago, and gave my 360 copy to a friend.
---
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#7WinternovaPosted 8/13/2013 6:34:36 PM
I'll buy anything for $5 or less. Case in point: Duke Nukem Forever...which I'm actually enjoying!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#8the36thchamberPosted 8/13/2013 7:46:16 PM
nothing really. if i like a game "enough" ill buy it at any price if i have the money. anything below "enough" im not buying period because its basically at the point of not liking it. i know exactly what ill like and not like so i very rarely have this problem
---
GGXRD Location test > every fighting game ever.
PSN/GT- xNinjaScrollx
#9davepescPosted 8/13/2013 8:31:58 PM
I almost never pay more than $20 for anything.
I'll take a chance for $10
I'll buy darn near anything < $5
---
"**** you'll thats all you mofos know how to do iss pick on people cause there typeing **** this site" DarkAssAssIn051
#10TheBlueStigPosted 8/13/2013 8:37:49 PM
davepesc posted...
I almost never pay more than $20 for anything.
I'll take a chance for $10
I'll buy darn near anything < $5

Pretty much this, but I only buy what I want at the $5 price point.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.