This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Great parts in bad video games?

#1mtjormitchPosted 8/14/2013 9:17:38 PM
Basically, this topic is for you to talk about a bad or even horrible video game which legitimately great part in it which made the whole journey through the crap game to get to worth it.

Odin Sphere's true ending.

Let me just say this, this game has one of the most insane endings ever in terms of scope and just with it's epic storytelling capabilities. The game overall is average due to how hard it is along with all the slowdowns. However the ending elevates the game to honestly being a classic.

Alpha Protocols system of choices.

Honestly, I love this game, janky gameplay and all. But the choices in this game is what ALL video games should aspire to do. Mass Effect doesn't even come close to this games awesome choices.

Super Paper Mario's story is honestly amazing.

SPM can be said to have the worst gameplay in the Paper Mario franchise... other than sticker star, however, the story in SPM is honestly amazing in terms of how well told and well done it is. It made me sad people. That is how damn good the writing was! Also, the best villain other than Fawful in the entire Mario franchise.

And finally, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou versus the Soulless army. Yesp, that is the actual name of the game.

The game is a detective game as you battle demons and monsters as you try and find out what is happening with Tokyo as mysterious forces keep trying to do something behind the scenes. Now. I am going to say this, this game has quite possibly the most kick butt final boss in video game history even with it's mediocre gameplay.

SPOILERS FOR THAT GAME!!!

The final boss is the spirit of the main character from the future as he goes back in time to basically stop the world from becoming a hell on earth like how the other SMT games has it be. The spirit possess's a young girl and you fight her first, simple enough. Then suddenly, it pulls out a BATTLESHIP you have to fight! Oh, and this fight takes place in the space between time and space where visitors and check out all of human history from terminals. From WW2 to the space launch with Niel Armstrong going to the moon all the way to flat out nuclear war later on.

Then, as you defeat that thing. It becomes a giant mech known as the soulless god and you have to basically fight a giant mecha battleship! Then, as you dismember it's arms it transforms into somethink more akin to John Carpenters The Thing which still has battleship parts attached and has some of the toughest spells to use against you in the game! Then you finally kill the damn thing and beat the game!

Quite possibly the most awesome final boss in video game history in a average video game overall.

END SPOILERS!!!

So, what moments in average to bad video games have you thought were quite awesome?
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#2656stoogePosted 8/14/2013 9:31:29 PM
Assassin's Creed 3 (I feel it was a bad game): Ship battles. The only time I was actually excited while playing the game. Big production values didn't make up for the fact that I was so, soooo bored while playing it.

Alone in the Dark: First hour. I like the whole game, but the first hour was really well done, IMO. I loved the car chase section and climbing along the side of a building as it was torn to pieces, and searching for car keys in a dark carpark while zombies tried to drag me out the car, was awesome.

Sonic 06: Everything about it except for all the glitches, stupid story, loading screens and human characters. Loved the level design and gameplay when it worked though.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#3mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2013 9:50:42 PM
656stooge posted...
Assassin's Creed 3 (I feel it was a bad game): Ship battles. The only time I was actually excited while playing the game. Big production values didn't make up for the fact that I was so, soooo bored while playing it.

Alone in the Dark: First hour. I like the whole game, but the first hour was really well done, IMO. I loved the car chase section and climbing along the side of a building as it was torn to pieces, and searching for car keys in a dark carpark while zombies tried to drag me out the car, was awesome.

Sonic 06: Everything about it except for all the glitches, stupid story, loading screens and human characters. Loved the level design and gameplay when it worked though.

Damn, how could I forget AC3!? I fully agree with you there. The only good parts of that game.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#4Merc123Posted 8/15/2013 2:31:52 AM
Bulletwitch - I actually found enjoyment in the game and its still in my collection actually but it was a bad game. The great part imo was the Meteor Spell once you unlocked it. Meteors just dropped from the sky and destruction everywhere, it was awesome....although parts of the environment would most likely crush you.
#5gabriusPosted 8/15/2013 4:38:02 AM
Hey look more insane Mitch opinions!
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#6mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2013 8:41:42 AM
gabrius posted...

Hello stalker number 51275645! How are you doing this fine day?
---
#7simonbelmont2Posted 8/15/2013 8:57:46 AM
Merc123 posted...
Bulletwitch - I actually found enjoyment in the game and its still in my collection actually but it was a bad game. The great part imo was the Meteor Spell once you unlocked it. Meteors just dropped from the sky and destruction everywhere, it was awesome....although parts of the environment would most likely crush you.

I agree and I thought about Bullet Witch when I came into this topic.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#8fiasco86Posted 8/15/2013 9:44:45 AM
There is no story moment or cutscene in any game that makes up for drudging through bad gameplay.
---
Game Conquerors Top 100 Games of All Time
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBdvbVOHRybalW-7GExzgqbbBf1bGVV3L
#9gabriusPosted 8/15/2013 10:28:49 AM
mtjormitch posted...
gabrius posted...

Hello stalker number 51275645! How are you doing this fine day?

If by "stalker" you mean "dude who laughs at the crazy guy every time he says something wacky".... then yes.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#10moondog84Posted 8/15/2013 11:27:15 AM
Darkest of Days-standing there at the Civil War with a fully automatic machine gun, while everyone else is using muskets.
---
Spaceballs the Signature