This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for games to play with daughter (age 6)

#1SaikredPosted 8/16/2013 2:22:34 AM
Good morning all, I was wondering if any of you knowledgable people know of any good local co-op games that myself and my daughter could play.

She's 6 years old, doesn't like anything mega-boyish (if that's a thing) but I don't really know where to go.

She's not _too_ bad at gaming, so I won't need anything SUPER simple, though the simpler the better.
For the record we've played the following.

DIsney Universe (Finished it)
Battleblock Theater (Had to stop on the last chapter, the platforming became too complex for her and was stressing her out)

She doesn't like Viva Pinata really (can't get into it, not enough going on I think)
I'd consider the Lego games I guess, and Disney Infinity is on my radar, but is there anything else I could try with her
We also tried Spelunky but that was a bit too difficult for her.

NOTE: We DO have Kinect (and Disneyland adventures) but she can't really get the hang of that just yet, so no Kinect games please =)
---
Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live or die on this day... Live or die on this day
#2656stoogePosted 8/16/2013 2:40:39 AM(edited)
Look into Banyo Kazooie and Kameo, but they were a little bit too complicated for my kid sister. A sat there for an entire hour watching here try and complete the jumping tutorial in Banyo. But who knows, maybe your daughter will pick it up quicker.

Funnily enough, my sister adored Mirror's Edge at that age and even managed to finish it. I skipped over any parts that looked like they might be a bit violent though. Not really recommending that, but I was pretty impressed with her for finishing it.

EDIT: Oh, and try ut games like Rayman Origins and Sonic Generations. If you have a Wii then games like Kirby and Mario are fantastic for kids.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#3Saikred(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 2:46:07 AM(edited)
656stooge posted...
Look into Banyo Kazooie and Kameo, but they were a little bit too complicated for my kid sister. A sat there for an entire hour watching here try and complete the jumping tutorial in Banyo. But who knows, maybe your daughter will pick it up quicker.

Funnily enough, my sister adored Mirror's Edge at that age and even managed to finish it. I skipped over any parts that looked like they might be a bit violent though. Not really recommending that, but I was pretty impressed with her for finishing it.

EDIT: Oh, and try ut games like Rayman Origins and Sonic Generations. If you have a Wii then games like Kirby and Mario are fantastic for kids.

Thanks a lot. It's been a looong time since I played Kameo, but she'd probably like that on account of the main character being a fairy.
Not sure she'd like Banjo Kazooie / Mirrors Edge, and Sonic might be a touch "fast" for her lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, pretty sure I'll grab Kameo for a few when I see it

---
#4656stoogePosted 8/16/2013 2:45:25 AM
Pretty sure Kameo has some co-op elements, but I was having a hard time finding games she'd like, so most of the time I'd just swap the controller with her whenever she wanted my help.

...(I also didn't read the co-op part in your post)
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#5Saikred(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 2:46:51 AM
656stooge posted...
Pretty sure Kameo has some co-op elements, but I was having a hard time finding games she'd like, so most of the time I'd just swap the controller with her whenever she wanted my help.

...(I also didn't read the co-op part in your post)

I looked it up and you're right, thanks (I edited my post accordingly also)
---
#6Banana_ManaPosted 8/16/2013 4:33:16 AM
Viva Pinata.
---
Enjoy top ten lists?
Go here: http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/p/blog-page.html
#7SheepinatorPosted 8/16/2013 5:33:09 AM
Rayman Origins for sure. It was on sale recently on GoD.

Sonic Generations and Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed, don't know if they have coop though.

LEGO's.

Check co-optimus web site too.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#8Saikred(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 5:42:43 AM
Banana_Mana posted...
Viva Pinata.

Thanks for not reading my opening post. I appreciate input but if you're going to help, at least try to do it properly.
---
#9DrFeelgood1984Posted 8/16/2013 5:59:38 AM
Portal/Portal 2

Honestly never played them, but my friend and his girlfriend like playing that co-op. I think it's age appropriate, just not sure how complicated it is. I know it's a puzzle game and it's supposed to be pretty awesome.
#10Halo_ForeverPosted 8/16/2013 6:43:41 AM
I hope you don't mind me mentioning a few games without co-op.

It might be a bit difficult to find, but Mini-Ninjas is very cute, not very violent (enemies in the game are actually cursed forest animals and defeating them returns them to their original animal states) and not crap. It is the sort of game that Nintendo could have made for the N64, good fun for the whole family, easy to get into but still contains enough depth, vision and humour to keep adults interested.

de Blob 2 is also a bit like Mini-Ninjas and it sports rudimentary co-op. Much of the humour is fairly adult (as in level of comprehension, not offensive material, e.g. the bottom news scroll having stuff like "Our proud nation will never negotiate with colorists"), but the cute characters and colorful (literally) gameplay should keep younger kids entertained. Even though I'm not the cheeriest guy around the game made me smile and laugh out a decent amount of times.

The Lego games are fairly decent entertainment, just select one in what she likes and it should entertain. They are however very similar so multiple LEGO games might be overdoing it.

One series which I am a bit hesitant in listing are the Earth Defense Force games, basically the successors of those old 2D scrolling shooters. They are fairly simple in terms of mechanics, in 2017 you only have moving, aiming, and shooting as well as dodge and change weapon. However the giant insects might be a bit scary and the thematics might be a bit too militaristic for her liking. They are decent co-op games though (spent around 130 hours on EDF 2017 and 120 on EDF: IA). The games contains green and yellowish blood, however there is no other kind of gore or violence. NPC allies die without blood as does the PC upon death. Civilians are present, but they cannot be killed or harmed. Putting a gameplay clip down below (might ).

http://youtu.be/O7OGTa2MBqM?t=4m12s

It probably isn't in her taste at all, but I have seen some girls who like the series so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Kung-Fu Panda does not have co-op (though it contains some absolutely horrible mini-games that can be played in co-op), but it is otherwise a competently made game, with surprising visual fidelity.

If she has any sort of interest in super heroes those old Marvel Ultimate Alliance-games have co-op, while being fairly tame. You would probably have to help her with the RPG elements though.

Child of Eden is a visually breathtaking rail shooter, I don't know if she is old enough to appreciate it, but it is a very beautiful game. Doesn't have co-op though.
http://youtu.be/6fMJENKblt4?t=7m4s

Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two has co-op.

Beautiful Katamari might be fairly interesting also. The gameplay consists of rolling loads of small things into a giant ball. It is a fairly unique games, though some of the aesthetics can be a bit too Japanese. Gameplay clip below.

http://youtu.be/DwaZnlyNKuY?t=29s

When she is a few years older she might start liking the Warriors series as well (Dynasty, Samurai, Orochi, Gundam). Fist of the North Star however is inappropriate (blood and gore). Plenty of characters to choose from and co-op is usually present. The downside is that a lot of the female characters are sexed up, though you can find exceptions like Ginchiyo Tachibana and Joan of Arc (in Warriors Orochi 3). The Gundam games usually have more covered costumes for female characters.

Joan of Arc
http://shurage.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/joan-d-arc.jpg

Tachibana
http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/File:SW2_Ginchiyo_Tachibana.jpg

If you have any questions just ask.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....