This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Video game writer quits due to graphic threats against her children

#111TheBlueStigPosted 8/17/2013 7:38:33 AM
Winternova posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
Forcing political correctness by law is not civilization, it's fear-driven brainwashing that creates spineless pacifists who can never speak freely out of the massive mental fear that they might offend someone. It creates people who can't listen to the most innocuous of comments without reading too far into them and hearing things that don't exist.

Steve Hughes said it perfectly - "Nothing happens when you're offended".

Straw man.

We're not talking about being offended. We're talking about being held accountable for online stalking and/or threats. 2 different things entirely.

There are already laws that cover that, we don't need a restriction/licensing system that won't effect jack s*** where stalking or other criminal activity is concerned.

It's just like a liberal sheeple to want more bandaid laws that are the same thing as the laws already on the books. Making more laws has never and will never stop or slow the crime, they only make things worse because everything under the sun is being made illegal.

We already have people getting arrested and put in jail on Identity Theft charges just for making parodies of politicians, the First Amendment is already being infringed and you want to make things even worse???????

Every time you open your mouth you prove how much of a pacifist liberal you really are, between twinkie bites that is....
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#112Winternova(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 7:52:54 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
We already have people getting arrested and put in jail on Identity Theft charges just for making parodies of politicians

Source? I haven't found a single instance with any Google search. I did find one where a local politician is asking for prosecution because of a Twitter account...but there's been no arrest.

TheBlueStig posted...
It's just like a liberal sheeple to want more bandaid laws that are the same thing as the laws already on the books.

Really? There's a law that says you must disclose your identity online? So what's your real name and address, Stig?

Only a true coward would fear his anonymity being breached...and you're cowering and pissing your pants at the thought of it.

It will never happen, but I wouldn't mind it if it did...if only to drill into people's heads that their actions online have a consequence.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#113TheBlueStigPosted 8/17/2013 8:03:00 AM
Winternova posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
It's just like a liberal sheeple to want more bandaid laws that are the same thing as the laws already on the books.

Really? There's a law that says you must disclose your identity online?

I was talking about cybercrime laws covering stalking and threats and you damn well know it, now shut the f*** up and crawl your ass back under your bridge.

And yes, there's a federal law that says you must disclose your identity and you can be jailed just for ANNOYING people, not stalking, not threats, just annoying people, gotta love that hidden pork....NOT.

http://news.cnet.com/Create-an-e-annoyance,-go-to-jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#114Arucard05Posted 8/17/2013 10:25:21 AM
Arucard05 posted...
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

Really?
---
I'm not a fan of old women that are scared of their pot going cold but I still loved Deadly Premonition - HeLeeham
#115ukokira1Posted 8/17/2013 10:37:56 AM
How pitiful.

For both sides.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#116HandsomeLukePosted 8/17/2013 11:30:35 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
I got death threats for saying I liked a game a lot. Some dude apparently researched me, found my Youtube (and sent a message), found my Facebook, created a fake Facebook, tried to add me, and sent me violent message after violent message.

WOW! #TeamPeople
---
GamerTag/PSN:HandsomeLukeG
#117ILikesCheesePosted 8/18/2013 9:50:17 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
I (received) death threats for saying I liked a (particular) game a lot. Some dude apparently researched me, found my Youtube (User ID), sent (me) a message, found my Facebook (account), created a fake Facebook (account), tried to add me (as a friend), and sent me violent message after violent message.

This may actually be a good reason why NOT to create a law which forces one to reveal their true identity online: The result being that the very same crazies in the news item this thread relates to will come after anyone who disagrees with them, mocks them, or ticks them off in some real or imagined way.

We've read stories over the years about COD players tracking down and knifing each other, and players of online games actually killing each other over the deaths of virtual characters. Such an Online Identity Law could possibly escalate that activity a hundred-fold.

In other news, you are welcome SunDevil for cleaning up your grammatically challenged post. :D

-
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#118TantrumBullPosted 8/18/2013 9:56:30 AM
Hell, we even have clowns being treated like an enemy of the country because he made fun of Obama.........
---
For what ever reason G_gglypuff completely forgot Ninja Gaiden Black is an Xbox game even though I told him it is and even told him I have it. >_<
#119adampeltzPosted 8/18/2013 11:15:55 AM
This post is pretty much directed at Winternova... but anyone else who knows the Constitution may chime in.. here are my two cents on the government license suggestion....

It presents a substantive Due Process issue under the 14th Amendment for two reasons:

1. It denies people a fundamental right that can be considered deeply rooted in American history and traditions... namely the freedom for private individuals to conduct business, perform discrete transactions, and gain information without having to obtain a license. I'd argue the internet medium doesn't change the nature of this right nor its fundamental character.

2. The violation of that privacy right would not be reasonably related to a legitimate government purpose... Unlike other types of licenses required for various types of specific behavior, to work in various industries, and/or to provide safety and accountability, the government would have a difficult time establishing a succinct motive and proper rationale for this type of incredibly broad licensing and monitoring of literally everyone who owned a connected internet device.

Not to mention, such regulation if presented for notice an comment by an agency would never gain political support due to its inherently self-aggrandizing nature. Congress also would never be able to pass such a thing, nor would any politician have an incentive to make such a proposal or establish a body to implement it.

The whole notion sounds preposterous to me.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#120SunDevil77Posted 8/18/2013 11:36:04 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
In other news, you are welcome SunDevil for cleaning up your grammatically challenged post. :D

I appreciate it, Cheese.
---
Justice...is what I seek, Kemosabe.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539