This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playing my first "war" game...

#1jimm120Posted 8/18/2013 10:12:59 AM
<blogfaqs>

So, I'm playing my first war game. Ya know...like Call of Duty and all those games like that. I've played stuff like Quake/Halo/Gears of War...but we all know that those really aren't the same.

Anyway, I recently got a "humble pack" for $5 bucks in which I got Medal Of Honor, Cyrsis 2 (which I don't think is a war game..its more like Quake, right?) and Battlefield 3 (amongst other games).

Anyway, I'm trying out this Medal of Honor game...and it being my 1st war game, I am not too impressed. These type of games never attracted me.

Now, I DID pick to play Medal of Honor first since I knew it wasn't that good...I was hoping that there'd still be something that would appease me here and then I'd get the "real quality" war game in Battlefield 3 as the main course later on.

But really, what makes these war games so addicting? COD to Medal of Honor (back in the ps1/2) to battlefied...none ever got me pumped or even interested in them.

Think Battlefield 3 will show me how good these "war games" are?
---
Worthy Indie: Breath Of Death - Cuthulu Saves The World - EvilQuest - Trino - Shoot 1UP - Weapon of Choice - Your Doodles Are Bugged - Vintage Hero
#2glassghost0Posted 8/18/2013 10:19:37 AM
jimm120 posted...
<blogfaqs>

So, I'm playing my first war game. Ya know...like Call of Duty and all those games like that. I've played stuff like Quake/Halo/Gears of War...but we all know that those really aren't the same.

Anyway, I recently got a "humble pack" for $5 bucks in which I got Medal Of Honor, Cyrsis 2 (which I don't think is a war game..its more like Quake, right?) and Battlefield 3 (amongst other games).

Anyway, I'm trying out this Medal of Honor game...and it being my 1st war game, I am not too impressed. These type of games never attracted me.

Now, I DID pick to play Medal of Honor first since I knew it wasn't that good...I was hoping that there'd still be something that would appease me here and then I'd get the "real quality" war game in Battlefield 3 as the main course later on.

But really, what makes these war games so addicting? COD to Medal of Honor (back in the ps1/2) to battlefied...none ever got me pumped or even interested in them.

Think Battlefield 3 will show me how good these "war games" are?

lol no. Play Call of Duty.

Battlefield 3 has a terrible single player campaign.

Which Medal of Honor is that? The 2010 game?

And are you talking about playing single player or multiplayer.
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#3gudamanPosted 8/18/2013 10:22:49 AM
As far as "war" games go, IMO, none of the games in that bundle really do well, they are almost on-rails shooters depending on who you ask. The only place that the actual war like feel comes through in them is the multiplayer and I wouldn't count Crysis 2 in with any of the others for that either though, again, that's just me though.

If I had to suggest a "war" game then I would say see if you can find a copy of Tom Clancy's End War. Its a RTS that though struggled did a great job of simulating war but like I said previously this all just my opinion on this.

I'm sure there are other people on thee boards or others that have much better suggestions for games your looking for of this type

I hope you enjoy all those games though, they can at least be enjoyed somewhat if you can get into them.
---
gt: gudaman / PSN: OvaryPuncher9000
I'm open to pretty much any game you wanna play as long as I own it.
#4G2584Posted 8/18/2013 10:44:13 AM
Getting your first impression of war games by playing Medal of Honor is like getting your first impression of steak by eating a burnt piece of rubber.
---
Let's share a tall cup of Jesus.
#5natevinesPosted 8/18/2013 10:45:45 AM
All the Call of Duties are pretty realistic war games!
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
#6WinternovaPosted 8/18/2013 11:20:34 AM
SHALL WE PLAY A GAME?

Love to. How about Global Thermonuclear War?

WOULDN'T YOU PREFER A GOOD GAME OF CHESS?

Later. Let's play Global Thermonuclear War.

FINE.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#7Deathx113Posted 8/18/2013 11:45:53 AM
Winternova posted...
SHALL WE PLAY A GAME?

Love to. How about Global Thermonuclear War?

WOULDN'T YOU PREFER A GOOD GAME OF CHESS?

Later. Let's play Global Thermonuclear War.

FINE.

Now that's a war game.
---
Name: Ernest (Yes, I've been to camp)
Add me, GT/PSN: Deathx113
#8Just_The_TipPosted 8/18/2013 12:11:54 PM
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
---
well i don't really hate you with a burning passion because i don't really give you that much thought, but i do think you're a ****ing idiot.
#9Gold25onePosted 8/18/2013 1:09:47 PM
Dont listen to these guys about call of duty, play BF3 much better game much more balanced and better servers
---
This isn't some Video Game, this is DARK SOULS. - Souldepriver
#10stawg007Posted 8/18/2013 1:14:40 PM
Gold25one posted...
Dont listen to these guys about call of duty, play BF3 much better game much more balanced and better servers

They're talking about single player
---
lPayneToTheMaxl