This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do I have to pay for XBOX LIVE GOLD to use Netflix and Hulu?

#1SolnotPosted 8/18/2013 10:18:38 AM
All I wanted to do was watch all my most favorite shows on Hulu and Netflix on my XBOX 360 but to do that I have to pay for the XBOX LIVE Gold subscription, and it costs $60 a year! What kinda craziness is that? Why does Microsoft make me pay for XBOX LIVE Gold to use that stuff when I'm already paying for Hulu, Netflix, Internet, and electricity?
#2moondog84Posted 8/18/2013 10:27:53 AM
Solnot
---
Spaceballs the Signature
#3gudamanPosted 8/18/2013 10:28:33 AM
Because they can...

#Dealwithit

also, if your a smart consumer then paying $60 a year is just not a good choice... There are deals on Subscription time and points (though starting to be rarer) and even offers to get FREE GOLD SUBSCRIPTIONS through promotions and such. Heck, there is a US promo that's been bouncing around the boards for awhile and again now because I'm trying to keep it up to date for people.

If you live outside the USA i can definitely see the frustration with having to pay for gold membership but even outside the USA there are occasionally promotions for free or cheap gold.

It's not like MS is the first to have paywalls for services and you can bet every penny in your wallet MS won't be the last.
---
gt: gudaman / PSN: OvaryPuncher9000
I'm open to pretty much any game you wanna play as long as I own it.
#4Solnot(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 10:28:36 AM
moondog84 posted...
Solnot

I am here!
#5ptreemf12Posted 8/18/2013 10:47:36 AM
You also have to pay for gold to access the internet explorer app. If that's not wrong, I don't know what is. XD

I doubt many people use it that frequently... but still.
---
Every dang time...
#6glassghost0Posted 8/18/2013 10:54:35 AM
You don't....

You don't have to pay $60 for Gold, hell you don't even have to pay for Gold.

You don't have to use Netflix and Hulu on your 360.
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#7Solnot(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 10:57:44 AM
glassghost0 posted...
You don't....

Yes, I have to because my PC is broken and my XBOX 360 is the only thing I have that lets me get Netflix and Hulu but to use them Microsoft says I have to pay for XBOX LIVE Gold first and that's just rediculous they are making me do that!
#8glassghost0Posted 8/18/2013 11:04:01 AM
Solnot posted...
glassghost0 posted...
You don't....

Yes, I have to because my PC is broken and my XBOX 360 is the only thing I have that lets me get Netflix and Hulu but to use them Microsoft says I have to pay for XBOX LIVE Gold first and that's just rediculous they are making me do that!

You don't even have to pay for Gold. There's a promo that lets you get 1 month for free, it's been going for months and is still active.

It's no ones fault but your own for paying $60 for Gold.
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122