This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playing Halo 3 again after 5 years made me realize 343 needs to step up.

#31JamanjaxPosted 8/22/2013 3:59:46 PM
blackhrt posted...
Jamanjax posted...
I feel that, with Halo 4, 343 did just fine. Best campaign since CE, and best multi since 2. Leaves me excited for next-gen Halo.

And what's with the ODST hate? That game was stellar! I guess Halo fans are just difficult to please.

Some of the dislike for me with Halo ODST came from who you played as. I want to play as a Spartan because he's different than the marine NPC's. If I wanted to be a regular marine, I would play Doom 3.

ODSTs aren't just regular marines, though, and you now have five games in which you play as a Spartan.

Variety is nice.
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#32blackhrtPosted 8/22/2013 4:11:03 PM
I get you. But don't forget that the Spartans are the main characters, not the ODST squad.

If Halo Forward Unto Dawn was a game, that would be okay because I would control the ODST for a while and then Master Chief.
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#33JamanjaxPosted 8/22/2013 4:15:12 PM
blackhrt posted...
I get you. But don't forget that the Spartans are the main characters, not the ODST squad.

Considering how massive the Haloverse is, I just can't agree with that.

It'd be like seeing all future Mass Effect games with Shep, or playing as Alucard in all Castlevania titles.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy that last one. Lol
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#34YAYSAYPosted 8/22/2013 4:29:32 PM
ODST had the second best campaign in the Halo series (behind CE) amazing atmosphere, god tier soundtrack, walking through the city at night was incredible I don't care what you say.

4 was crap, Campaign was decent but the Didact was like a comic book villain and 343 crapped all over the forerunners.
---
http://i.imgur.com/NgvXx.gif http://i.imgur.com/RxHnY.gif
http://i.imgur.com/AggbcLv.gif http://i.imgur.com/UtCcG9r.jpg
#35Fixer_40Posted 8/22/2013 4:32:44 PM
Jamanjax posted...
I feel that, with Halo 4, 343 did just fine. Best campaign since CE, and best multi since 2. Leaves me excited for next-gen Halo.

And what's with the ODST hate? That game was stellar! I guess Halo fans are just difficult to please.

Halo 3's multiplayer was way better than 4. 4 had boring forgetful maps, ordnance drops, flinch, perks, and every gun was obsolete compared to the DMR until they updated it a month ago.
---
http://i.imgur.com/iYj84.jpg
#36C810Posted 8/22/2013 4:45:37 PM
Agreed. I found Halo 4 to be the worst in the series for me. Besides adding the irritating Prometheans to the game, specifically Knight variant, the whole campaign was very bland. Even though during Bungie's reign the campaigns weren't very interesting, although I found Reach's to be the best, they at least had a sense of scale and grandeur. You fought your way through Halo's and Covenant battleships. But in 4 you just felt kind of aimless with no reason sense of purpose or direction. It felt very deus ex machina to me.

However, the biggest problem with Halo 4 is the multiplayer. In all the previous entries, you fought for map and power weapon control. If you get to the rockets/sniper/whatever first, then your team is going to get the leg up. But since everyone knows where they are, you have to think of how to deal with the enemy going for them too. You fight to lock that stuff down so you have an easier time fighting off the other team. But with power weapons being dynamic, that's lost. It's total luck if you happen to get a power weapon now since they spawn haphazardly around the map. Along with this, any sense of teamwork goes right out the window. It makes more sense to split up and look for the weapons solo so there's a better chance your team will get them. For better or worse, Halo multiplayer was built upon the tenet being able to utterly smash your opponents if you gained control of the map/power weapons. Without that, it isn't really Halo.

Also, say what you want about Firefight, but Horde style modes are here to stay. And replacing Firefight with Spartan Ops was a terrible idea since Spartan Ops sucks. Replaying the same levels from the campaign with Palmer constantly shouting at you and horrible spawns? Pass
---
He has a robot body though, if he farted it would probably come out sounding like dubstep. - ISquat600lbs
#37blackhrtPosted 8/22/2013 4:59:49 PM
Jamanjax posted...
blackhrt posted...

Considering how massive the Haloverse is, I just can't agree with that.

It'd be like seeing all future Mass Effect games with Shep, or playing as Alucard in all Castlevania titles.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy that last one. Lol

Those stories are different. But since you mentioned Mass Effect I will add that they did some variety with Halo Reach that they finally fixed after 3 games.

You have you're team assisting you throughout the game. You finally got a TEAM of Spartans in this game. And I see folks complaining about Reach. Well how was in it Halo 1 with your Marines helping you? oh wait you never had help in Halo 1. your "help" died 2min in against 2 Grunts.
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#38ZDT_LeaderPosted 8/22/2013 6:31:52 PM
Just a heads up..
You made me buy halo 3 early too.. I couldn't wait :p.

Didn't really read this topic haha.
---
LoL IGN/Gamertag: Zerochronic
R.I.P Mom..Aug 30th, 2007