This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Never Played a Saints Row Before, Should I Start With 4?

#1BBBanks03Posted 8/22/2013 5:54:59 PM
I know that 3 was generally considered to be disappointing, while most people seem to say that the second game was the best. This one, however, actually looks pretty damn fun and different enough from number 2 that if I were to enjoy this I could still go to the second one and enjoy it. On top of that, I heard that most of the best parts of 3 were in 4, so it seems like the best choice.

Anyone played it yet? Anyone think this might be a good starting point for the series? It seems like the plot is wacky enough that it wouldn't be much of a big deal that I'd missed the story from the previous 3 games.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#2Gary StantonPosted 8/22/2013 6:02:57 PM
Start with the first. When it was serious.
---
"War as a video game; what better way to raise the ultimate soldier?" - Solid Snake
#3RPGNinja123Posted 8/22/2013 7:19:54 PM
Definitely want to start from the beginning and then realize the decline of a potentially good series.
---
3DS FC- 0232-8140-1787(send PM if u add)
If Obamacare is so amazing, how come nobody in Congress abides by it?
#4DarthOdinPosted 8/22/2013 7:22:43 PM
RPGNinja123 posted...
Definitely want to start from the beginning and then realize the decline of a potentially good series.

Yup this
---
GT: Evil Metalbeast
#5JamanjaxPosted 8/22/2013 7:44:55 PM
Lol

Definitely start with 4.

SR1 is a boring GTA wannabe, SR2 came closer to being GTAIV than GTAIV itself did, and SR3 was the series finally carving a niche of its own.

If you want to see that little niche perfected in a ridiculously fun game, SR4 is for you.
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#6i b LinKPosted 8/22/2013 7:49:22 PM
Get the first two, skip the last two. I think you'd have a much more joyful experience with a fraction of the cost.
---
GameFAQs, where there's an opinion... there's a fight.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
#7MasterFoxCheif3Posted 8/22/2013 9:13:19 PM
Start with Two and don't play anything else.
---
http://3image.com/images/2013/06/21/Bron_umad.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aalYQjedc1s&t=1m4s
#8ukokira1Posted 8/22/2013 10:46:25 PM
Before we start telling you to
do SR2 first or SR4
what are you looking for in it?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#9kungfuj0Posted 8/23/2013 1:20:39 AM
Play ALL of them.

I have them all and they are all very fun games that I have (or am in 4's case) thoroughly enjoying.

I'll break it down like this...

SR1 was about 75% serious and 25% over the top stuff.

SR2 was about 55% serious and 45% over the top stuff.

SR3 was maybe 25% serious and 75% over the top.

SR4 (so far.. I'm only 25% or so in) looks like maybe 10% serious and 90% over the top.

Note also that the gameplay in both 3 and 4 is much better than it is in 1 and 2, but the customization in 1 and 2 is WAAAAY better than it is in 3 and 4. They changed game engines after 2, and that helped the gameplay but hurt in other areas.

All of the games are good for silly, violent fun, but the stories in both 1 and 2 just have a more serious tone than those in 3 and 4 do. If you want more serious, stick with the first two. They are serious but not GTA4 serious. I mean there's a restaurant in the games called Freckle *****'s for example, so there was still a lot of humor in both games.

Here's how I'd advise you to play it.

Get the first two games and beat them in order. By the time you get through with those, 3 will be even cheaper than it is now and you can get that. By that time, Black Friday will be closing in, and you can probably snag 4 for $25 or less. If/when you get 3, get the "Full Package" version, as it has all the dlc with it.

Overall, I've had a helluva lot of fun with this series, but I do hope that in the future if they make another one, that they go back towards the serious side with it....not GTA 4 serious, but I think superpowered President of the United States is probably going just a bit too far! I liked being the ordinary street thug who had to work his way up, and they kinda took that away in the last two games. I miss it.
---
And to think...people laughed at me when I said MS could out-EA EA any day of the week.
Who's laughing now, *****es???
#10singhellotakuPosted 8/23/2013 4:11:37 AM
2 sucks get 3