This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking For Opinions On Some Games

#1JohnHalo343Posted 8/26/2013 10:13:08 PM
Was at my local GameStop the other day thinking, "Man, they have NO good games here!" Obviously that is hyperbole, but I seen some that caught my eye and have been looking on getting some good info on them first.

Dark Souls
Darksiders II
Crysis III
Mass Effect (Any of them)

I am generally into RPGs, hence the list right here. I thought the dude with the nanosuit looked real cool on the cover of Crysis III, so I decided to out that up there too. I have not played any other games in the series on this list, so any of them would be pretty much be a new experience for me. I am interested to know what you guys think are strong points of the game and what they do well.

Likewise, I am also interested in negative opinions on any of these games as well. Way I see it, if somebody found something they didn't like about a game, it would be good to know about it.

Also, I have a strong bias against Mass Effect because it I dare not play an RPG in space that isn't KOTOR, but I might be swayed.
#2HambodiasPosted 8/26/2013 10:27:25 PM
Mass Effect was my favorite series to come out this gen. GREAT story, interesting characters, and pretty fun gameplay and tons of it

that being said, in order to get the full enjoyment you must play in order and some a bit of DLC.

Also, I was doing another playthrough of Mass Effect and it hasn't aged all that well, at least after playing the other two.

So, yeah I would highly suggest playing through, but don't let ME1's gameplay sway your opinion, it gets better.
---
Dertbag Clothing
#3DrFeelgood1984Posted 8/26/2013 10:37:48 PM
JohnHalo343 posted...
Was at my local GameStop the other day thinking, "Man, they have NO good games here!" Obviously that is hyperbole, but I seen some that caught my eye and have been looking on getting some good info on them first.

Dark Souls
Darksiders II
Crysis III
Mass Effect (Any of them)

I am generally into RPGs, hence the list right here. I thought the dude with the nanosuit looked real cool on the cover of Crysis III, so I decided to out that up there too. I have not played any other games in the series on this list, so any of them would be pretty much be a new experience for me. I am interested to know what you guys think are strong points of the game and what they do well.

Likewise, I am also interested in negative opinions on any of these games as well. Way I see it, if somebody found something they didn't like about a game, it would be good to know about it.

Also, I have a strong bias against Mass Effect because it I dare not play an RPG in space that isn't KOTOR, but I might be swayed.

Dark Souls is great. It can be frustrating at times but it has really cool environments, weapons, armor, and boss battles. It's challenging so you feel accomplished as you progresses through the game. It's all combat, no story. (people will argue that last part, and they are wrong)

Mass Effect is amazing. 1 is kind of a chore gameplay wise but the story is good. 2 & 3 improve the gameplay and cut out all the tedious BS that drags the first one down. There's a DLC comic thing for ME2 that sums up what happened in ME1 and lets you make some decisions so you can skip the first game if you want.

Crysis 3, I did not play. I thought the Crysis 2 was terrible. I bought Crysis 1 for $5 and I really enjoy it. So not sure about 3.

Darksiders 2, never played.
#4Dark_SpiretPosted 8/27/2013 1:37:14 AM
Dark Souls--
+beautiful and intimidating world and enemy design
+good sense of exploration
+good combat with lots of ways to approach character customization
+amazing sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.
+lots of content and replay value
+great sound design overall
-/+very unforgiving. its difficulty wont be for everyone.
-/+limited storytelling. its story is told through the world and objects so you have to pay attention. nothing is handfed to the player.
-technical issues
-less traditional rpg aspects. its basically a dungeon crawler so npc interaction are kept to a bare minimum, theres no towns to wander or side missions to under take.

HIGHLY recommended

Darksiders--
+unique visual design
+decent storytelling(DS1)
+nice action combat(DS2)
+good overall and addictive rpg elements(DS2)
+good sense of level progression, exploration and dungeon crawling
+lots of content
-horrible padding(DS2)
-shallow combat(DS1)
-lackluster story(DS2)

good series, but start with the first.

Crysis--
+great visual presentation
+open combat. lots of ways to approach it
+satisfying shooting and mechanics(C2/3)
+nanosuit provides lots of gameplay possibilities.
+good replay value
-/+been there done that multiplayer. still its decent fun and nothing bad.
-fairly short games (6-10hours) considering there more open design.
-lackluster story overall.
-first games shooting is mediocre, but does offer larger areas to experiment.

overall good shooters and pretty unique in a lot of ways. start with Crysis 1 or 2 (or warhead if you got a pc that can run it). 3 is good, but is the worst in the series.
---
Currently playing: Saints Row 4 - Spelunky - The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
#5Dark_SpiretPosted 8/27/2013 1:37:28 AM
Mass Effect 1--
+great storytelling
+great VO, characters and world (this continues into me 2-3)
+diverse gameplay and scenarios (includes ME2)
+nice soundtrack (all the games)
+AMAZING final act. one of the best this whole generation.
-/+janky and unpolished gameplay, but does feel more rpg-y than the sequels
-short for a bioware rpg. 15-20hours to do all of the meaningful content.
-unpolished in a lot of areas
-biowares traditional good vs evil morality system (all the games)
-repetitive side content (for the most part)

Mass Effect 2--
+good combat
+great beginning and ending
+great new characters
+more varied side content
+far more polished
+features the best dlc's in the series
-/+lacks core story instead focuses on character interactions
-lacks rpg elements
-bigger emphasis on shooting

Mass Effect 3--
+even better combat
+some GREAT story moments
+surprisingly fun multiplayer mode
-less polished with "cheap" production moments
-worse writing and character progression
-unsatisfying conclusion

Overall the series is quite good despite their hickups at times. by far the best trilogy this gen. If i had to choose onyl a few try then id pick Dark Souls and Mass Effect 1.
---
Currently playing: Saints Row 4 - Spelunky - The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing