This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People Steal Indie Games : We All Know It

#71WinternovaPosted 9/4/2013 9:52:18 AM
Perfect Light posted...
I like you, you're a smart guy, but remember that the rest of us are just regular dudes who like talking about games. You don't have to turn everything into a law argument when it's just isn't that serious.

I've done this my entire life - accuracy in communication is essential. It doesn't matter to me what the "common person" thinks - if they're wrong, they should be informed of that so they can correct themselves in the future. That's what I do when I find something I have been incorrect about...I have a hard time believing that other people would rather stay wrong than learn.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#72Perfect LightPosted 9/4/2013 5:53:13 PM
Winternova posted...
I've done this my entire life - accuracy in communication is essential. It doesn't matter to me what the "common person" thinks - if they're wrong, they should be informed of that so they can correct themselves in the future. That's what I do when I find something I have been incorrect about...I have a hard time believing that other people would rather stay wrong than learn.

Trust me, I'm the same way and in most cases if I am completely wrong I would like to be informed of it. But sometimes you have to pick your battles. Someone using "theft" to refer to stealing digital goods isn't such an atrocious error that it warrants this kind of discussion in order to prove this kind of point, which I still don't agree with. Words evolve and change over time, and when the definition of the word "theft" was decided upon, digital goods weren't even a thing. Now, "theft" has come to, in the common sense, mean a lot more than just physical items.

Just to let you know, you're on my friends list for a reason, I highly respect you and everything you post on this board. I think you bring a unique perspective in many cases (pun completely intended) and I'm glad to have you around.
---
Playing: Splinter Cell Blacklist
Waiting: Grand Theft Auto V, Batman Arkham Origins, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed IV
#73zyxomma100Posted 9/4/2013 7:50:36 PM(edited)
Seanie1200 posted...
To all you saying theft has to involve a physical item bear in mind that most money in the world only exists as numbers on a computer screen, not as actual physical cash. By your logic if someone hacked your online bank details and transferred the money to another account it wouldn't be theft as no physical cash was involved. Or would this be theft after all as you were the victim?

The point is that theft deprives the victim of the item in question. Piracy does not. There's a huge difference. I think the "digital vs. physical" got thrown in when it really shouldn't have been. I'm no lawyer, but I suppose you could make the case of theft if you purposely cut/pasted important data with the intent of depriving the victim of that data, even if you left the hard/flash drive itself alone.

In any case, illegally downloading a game is wrong, it's piracy, and it's copyright infringement, but it's not theft. Theft is theft, piracy is piracy, fraud is fraud, and murder is murder. They're all illegal and you shouldn't do any of it, but don't go mixing terms.

Edit: Oh Christ, I'm never going to get used to losing addon functionality with the goddamn site redesign. I didn't realize there was a whole second page where this point has been brought up to death. Ignore me.
#74WinternovaPosted 9/5/2013 12:28:56 AM
Perfect Light posted...
Words evolve and change over time, and when the definition of the word "theft" was decided upon, digital goods weren't even a thing.

There's another word that is used incorrectly - "good". A good, by definition, is a physical item. There are items that are intangible personal property - licenses you've purchased, copyrights you hold, stock you've bought, etc. - and digital items would fall under this category. They're not goods though. ;-)

I know, I know...common usage says otherwise. I'm just not fond of incorrect common usage. That's the reason why words like "irregardless" are in the dictionary now, despite the fact that if you break down the word it's a double negative and the antithesis of what the speaker using it is trying to say.

Words are the tools of my profession. They're all I have, really. I tend to get a bit defensive about them because misconceptions about words cause problems...not just in the legal arena, but also in business. People think that lawyers are verbose, but the interesting thing is that in my legal writing classes we were given a maximum page length, not a minimum. You had to get your point across clearly and concisely. That's why I argue definitions often - if the definition is followed, it's easier to communicate clearly and concisely. :-)

I'm not mad at you or anything. I'm just arguing vehemently against your position, not you as a person. Please don't take it personally.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#75FredSavage27Posted 9/5/2013 8:59:33 PM
As long as everybody knows what you mean, who the hell cares? Or are you going to point out that that not "everybody" knows because there are billions of people who don't even speak English?