This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does my Xbox Live keep disconnecting whenever I'm AFK?

#1BrownPackPosted 8/28/2013 1:22:19 AM
There are times when I'm on the Xbox 360 Dashboard and I just feel like either talking to my friends, or I'm waiting for them to switch games. Usually, my live just disconnects while I'm waiting. Whenever I'm playing though, it almost never happens, if not at all like when I'm on the Dashboard. On the Dashboard, it's pretty much guaranteed, and happens like every few minutes.

What can be wrong with my xbox/connection?
#2levelshooterPosted 8/28/2013 2:50:08 AM
Are you connected by wire or wireless?
---
-Stop arguing about who is gonna win. No matter the choice you are gonna be screwed either way!!!!!
#3BrownPack(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 3:54:22 AM
levelshooter posted...

Wireless, and although it may seem simple and easy to say that that is my problem, I use a PC with a wireless connection too and that never fails on me like the Xbox does.
#4xninjagrrlPosted 8/28/2013 5:16:22 AM
I know this is a dumb question but when was the last time your router/modem was powered off and on again? Usually this fixes any network issues I have with disconnecting.
---
Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.
#5georgiaboy11Posted 8/28/2013 8:42:32 AM
BrownPack posted...
There are times when I'm on the Xbox 360 Dashboard and I just feel like either talking to my friends, or I'm waiting for them to switch games. Usually, my live just disconnects while I'm waiting. Whenever I'm playing though, it almost never happens, if not at all like when I'm on the Dashboard. On the Dashboard, it's pretty much guaranteed, and happens like every few minutes.

What can be wrong with my xbox/connection?

I'm also having this issue, tc. If I go idle or pause a game and give it ten-fifteen minutes it'll always disconnect. Wireless also.
---
That's what she said. - Steve Carell
#6BrownPack(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 8:14:20 PM
xninjagrrl posted...
I know this is a dumb question but when was the last time your router/modem was powered off and on again? Usually this fixes any network issues I have with disconnecting.

I do it quite frequently whenever my router seems to be doing bad.
#7RenamonPosted 8/28/2013 8:21:21 PM
BrownPack posted...
levelshooter posted...

Wireless, and although it may seem simple and easy to say that that is my problem, I use a PC with a wireless connection too and that never fails on me like the Xbox does.

Keep in mind PCs aren't XBOXes. PCs have all kinds of programs running that may access the internet, including the OS itself. Windows Update, antivirus software, etc, that would keep the connection alive. With an xbox just sitting on the dashboard, all it's doing is sending a keepalive packet to the XBL servers to say you're still connected, but that may not be enough.

What kind of routers and xboxes do you guys have?
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#8LuckysCharm777Posted 8/28/2013 9:25:43 PM
Mine too, it's really annoying when I'm trying to download a game.
#9natevinesPosted 8/28/2013 9:30:29 PM
LuckysCharm777 posted...

This a million times over. I have to sit there and constantly reconnect to the internet. Half the time, it won't even reconnect without me rebooting the console.
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
#10BrownPack(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 12:40:57 AM
Renamon posted...
What kind of routers and xboxes do you guys have?

I have a Cisco N router or something. I don't know the specifics about it.

LuckysCharm777 posted...

YES. I was downloading Max Payne 3 because it was only $10 for the Rockstar sale, and I had to reconnect probably more than 20 times during the process. I didn't know how to set my Xbox so that it downloads while I turn it off... so I had to sit and watch my Xbox for an hour and a half while it downloaded.