This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Basic Features Every Game Should Have. Round 2

#11orangeneePosted 8/28/2013 6:10:09 PM
SixStringHero posted...
Ability to skip cut scenes.

Unfortunately one of my favorite games this gen, Max Payne 3, suffers from not having this immediate ability. It' only becomes problematic on subsequent plays however.

That's because the cut scenes are load screens in function. There's a good few games that do it like that.
---
How to divide by Zero: Find person named Zero, get him/her to divide something.
GT/PSN:Hellsteeth30
#12glassghost0(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 6:16:31 PM
Yeah I love MP3 too much to hate on the loading

And I love all of the dialogue so it's cool in my book
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#13Oldskool_RulezPosted 8/28/2013 6:17:17 PM
Sound and music test in the options menu. It is one of my favorite features in games from the earlier generations, which seems to not be used anymore.

Also, secret unlockables. IMO, games are better when they contain secrets such as characters, bosses, stages, and so on. Plus, finding a secret on your own without a guide feels amazing.
---
The DEATH cannot die!
You don't need a reason to help someone.
#14JRS511Posted 8/28/2013 7:45:49 PM
Being able to customize your characters appearance in multiplayer.
---
GT/PSN - BULLETSandBLOOD
My skeleton is melting My soul is in flames.
#15Bac0n01Posted 8/28/2013 8:01:41 PM(edited)
Ability to pause and skip cutscenes
Button mapping
% complete for story and a seprate % for collectibles
Easter eggs
Split screen
Ability to skip tutorial
Manual save points
---
Fact: Every single episode of every TV show ever needs more Londo and G'Kar.
# of people who agree:
#16glassghost0(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 8:37:28 PM
Manual save points are cheating...

Just saying...
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#17Dante729Posted 8/28/2013 8:49:05 PM
- Manual saving
- Button mapping
- Some type of good completion indication for collectibles.
---
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
#18oasisbeyondPosted 8/29/2013 2:14:12 AM
Camera changes for up down and left and right movement.
Music lower or off but keep voice.
#19kryllion007Posted 8/29/2013 5:02:46 AM
Pausing and skipping cutscenes are fine. But only on subsequent viewings. If it's your first time, you shouldn't be able to go BLAH BLAH BLAH MORE SHOOTY/STABBY/PUNCHY/etc.

Manual saves are uneeded as long as the checkpoints make sense and are well placed. Savescum are the worst of the worst anyway, no one should cater to them.

Button mapping, yes.

Valve-esque enviromental subtitles.

Some way to distract yourself during a loading screen. Max Payne 3's loading screens are a thing of beauty, as are Beyonetta and Okami's.

Multiplayer centric games need something to end each map besides staring at the scoreboard for 15 seconds while we wait for the next lobby to pop up.

Replay theaters that are worth a damn on any multiplayer games. Even non shooters.

Mission replays in open world games. I'm looking at you, Saints Row.

Drop in, Drop out co-op for applicable games.

FoV changing.

Bloom/lens flare tonedowns.

Achievements doing something ingame. I loved when DA:O's dlc achievements unlocked things for me in other games. I want more of that.
#20Dragon NexusPosted 8/29/2013 5:21:47 AM
The ability to near instantly retry a failed section, preferably from a checkpoint.
AC Brotherhood intruduced full synchronisation, an idea I liked. Complete the mission exactly how Ezio did. Fun idea! But if you fail a part then restart from a checkpoint, the part remains failed even if the checkpoint is from before you could achieve it...so you have to restart the whole mission. Why they thought *that* was a good idea I'll never know. Fixed for AC3 thankfully, though they did make them more asinine to complete.

Following on from this, I hate trial and error style games that have an obnoxious restart time to them. What Rayman Origins and Legends does so well is not punish the player too harshly. You die, you see a 1/.5 second long death animation, a quick flash of black and a second later you're back. Dying takes maybe 3 seconds.
Die in Mario and you have to watch him die, the screen turn slowly to black and then re-load where you were. Takes a lot longer.
Or a racing game, especially in short segments (like the speed trap activities in Project Gotham), where you restart and have to watch the camera roam around your car then count down "Three!.....Two!.....One!.....GO!" Ugh, just start do "Ready? Go!" to hurry this up, I don't want to wait 6 seconds because of a simple mistake. Especially when this event only takes 20 seconds total anyway.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde