This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People complain that 60$ for a game is much?

#151TrugamerPosted 9/1/2013 8:17:26 AM
The bottom line is that in a flooded market where most older games are just as good as the new ones the new games become less valuable unless they increase the quality significantly .
#152WinternovaPosted 9/1/2013 8:52:32 AM
shawnmck posted...
Winternova posted...

$49.99 in 2002 (the year the Xbox was released) has the same buying power as $64.91 in 2013.

$59.99 in 2013 has the same buying power as $46.20 in 2002.

You're not missing those days - they're still here!

^ Your skewed price adjustments aren't fooling anyone.

Skewed? They're using the official inflation figures. Just because you engage in confirmation bias doesn't change reality for the rest of us.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#153josh924Posted 9/1/2013 11:43:06 AM
Sheepinator posted...
So don't try to make out like games cost $120 OMG so expensive rip-off.

This. I agree that we should be paying less than $60 per game, but you can't honestly say that modern games have a "hidden cost" that totals twice the amount you initially would pay (assuming you don't wait for a price drop). For example, I doubt you have to beat GTA IV's "The Ballad of Gay Tony" DLC to get what's going on in GTA V. And you certainly don't "need" any map packs for any games.
---
I like how the GameFAQs spellcheck shows that the word "Wii" is fine, but the words "Xbox" and "Kinect" show up as typos.
#154GeminiX7Posted 9/1/2013 7:41:51 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
GeminiX7 posted...
Gaming has ALWAYS been this expensive, if not more-so in the past. Why the hell are you complaining now?

Outside of the MVS carts for the NeoGeo, exactly which games were more expensive than today's games that START at $60 and go up from there with multiple DLC packs, up to and surpassing $120 for a single title with all available content added on?

Currently looking up old scans of ads. but before I do... yeah, no, games don't "start" at 60 universally to begin with. If you want a true "starting rate" for games, it'd probably say, $20 bucks for titles that come out the gate as titles. 40 bucks for the average portable title, and 60 for console titles.

Now, you seem to treat every game like it's Skylanders or CoD, where you are absolutely forced to buy more to play the singleplayer(former) or multiplayer(latter) completely. Most(literally all) DLC is side content or cosmetic changes to the games(if they have any DLC at all, and many games don't) rather than required buys for the title. If your car had an option for a hot pink dashboard or an extra spare tire you couldn't claim your car would be undrivable without the additions.

Now, I miss the concept of unlockable items in game, and can agree that DLC has unfortunately taken the place of these little additions to the game. But again, I'm not delusional enough to act as if this somehow means we are being robbed of many and back in the good old days we could but grab AAA titles by the handful for a few bucks.

Lets Re-cap:

1. Inflation. Go Wikipedia it.
2. Rose Tinted Glasses Effect. Look that up as well.
---
3DS FC: 0662-3353-4779
PSN: GeminiX7
#155TheRobPosted 9/1/2013 7:47:03 PM
overlordlaharl0 posted...
Did you know 60$ IS alot of money actually, but having a decent paying job (Hell even mcdonalds) 60$ won't seem that much for you anymore. ~ The more you know.

Are you assuming that said working people don't have other things that require being paid off more urgently (i.e. bills, food, transportation/gas, etc.)? If that's the case, then, yeah, I assume $60 isn't that much.

But in the real world, most people do have more urgent things that have to be paid for first.
---
The People's Heel
IF YA SMEELLLALALAO..WHAT THE ROB IS COOKING !!!
'B-|
#156GeminiX7Posted 9/4/2013 7:18:16 PM
TheRob posted...
overlordlaharl0 posted...
Did you know 60$ IS alot of money actually, but having a decent paying job (Hell even mcdonalds) 60$ won't seem that much for you anymore. ~ The more you know.

Are you assuming that said working people don't have other things that require being paid off more urgently (i.e. bills, food, transportation/gas, etc.)? If that's the case, then, yeah, I assume $60 isn't that much.

But in the real world, most people do have more urgent things that have to be paid for first.

Gaming has always been this expensive. And there are cheaper alternatives to buying brand new console titles, something that, for the most part, didn't exist in the past. What exactly are you actually complaining about?
---
3DS FC: 0662-3353-4779
PSN: GeminiX7
#157TrugamerPosted 9/5/2013 8:37:42 AM
$60 is the pre ordering fanboy price point for video games and they could probably go higher if they wanted and all the DLC gimps and overpriced map packs are priced for them as well.
However when you look at the big picture and the market overall and how game prices decline so quickly the average thrifty consumer just looks at the $60 tag points and laughs knowing full well they can get any just about game they want at half price within a few months for release.

Anyone ever look at Gamefly used game prices? I have not bought a full priced game since Oblivion thanks to Gamefly and get to play every game before I buy it to make sure it does not suck.
#158VasDeferensPosted 9/5/2013 9:37:16 AM
My only beef about the $ 60 price, is that for some games, in less than a year, that game will be at bargain bin prices for $ 20 or less . So I just tend to wait .