This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Keiji Inafune's 'The Mighty No. 9' (BASICALLY MEGAMAN) hits Kickstarter

#91C810Posted 9/5/2013 9:40:49 PM
mjc0961 posted...
pothocket posted...
joshl94 posted...
BkzIzu posted...
It needs 2.5 million to be even on consoles. Lol is this a joke?

This just in. Video games cost money to make.

Breaking news: GameFAQs poster comments on something he knows nothing about.

Go ahead and have a look around at various kickstarter games. Most of them are asking for funding in the $5,000 - 50,000 range, a few of them go as high as $100,000. Mighty No. 9 is asking for at least $900,000.

Most of them lowball it hoping that they'll at least get some funding and are basically relying on getting more than the pledge to get the game made. That or they have no idea what it actually takes to make a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GhlLVSuX4g

That's surprisingly common among Kickstarters, even with industry vets. Tim Schaffer and Double Fine ran out of money halfway through Broken Age, despite making several times its goal. Now they have to release the first half and use that money to fund the second half of the game. Shadowrun Returns also ran out of money, or came extremely close to it, and they had a studio of vets
---
He has a robot body though, if he farted it would probably come out sounding like dubstep. - ISquat600lbs
#92gamewarrior88Posted 9/6/2013 2:16:43 PM
Only a little under 500k left till consoles. Just crossed the 1.75 million stretchgoal for the making of a documentary. Maybe a few days and then we can see what those mystery stretchgoals are. They also released a new podcast on the site.
---
-----------------------------------------------
In this world, there was only one way...the Valmanway. But now, there is a better way...the Valmanway +1.
#93GGearX(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 3:23:39 PM
NightRain posted...
FFTHEWINNER posted...
GOAL REACHED IN ONE DAY!!!!!:D

Pretty much two days but whatever... :P

The game is happening! Well, unless something bad happens... but i'm not worried... now to 2.5 millions!!!

You mean 2.2 mill.

Yep! It's going to reach it in no time. Wonder what's after console release.
---
GT- Neon KnLght
This world is not made for Kings, only Knights.
#94Dragon NexusPosted 9/6/2013 3:26:27 PM
C810 posted...
That's surprisingly common among Kickstarters, even with industry vets. Tim Schaffer and Double Fine ran out of money halfway through Broken Age, despite making several times its goal. Now they have to release the first half and use that money to fund the second half of the game. Shadowrun Returns also ran out of money, or came extremely close to it, and they had a studio of vets

Schafer was slightly different. He opened the scope of the game up hugely simply because he got more money than expected. He just opened it up too far. It's entirely likely his original idea would have stayed in budget.
Could maybe say the money went to his head.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#95Arucard05Posted 9/6/2013 3:30:00 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
C810 posted...

Schafer was slightly different. He opened the scope of the game up hugely simply because he got more money than expected. He just opened it up too far. It's entirely likely his original idea would have stayed in budget.

Specifically the imagination.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.
#96C810Posted 9/6/2013 3:52:45 PM(edited)
Dragon Nexus posted...
C810 posted...

Even so though, he should have known approximately what blowing out the game would cost. I get that he wanted to deliver larger, better, more polished game with the extra money, that's an understandable goal. But I find it really hard to defend him when he spent all the Kickstarter money and isn't even releasing the full game in one piece. Not to mention that the game is already quite behind schedule, with this only pushing it further back. I remember reading an interview about him in Game Informer and he said something like the original scope of the game was only 10% of what it is now. That means he either needed to ask for a lot more money off the bat, or he needed to keep his ideas under control.

EDIT: Documentary funded, now onto the console ports! Hopefully we'll be able to find out a lot of, if not all, the ??? goals. Although funding is starting to slow down though so right now I'm thinking we won't see every one
---
He has a robot body though, if he farted it would probably come out sounding like dubstep. - ISquat600lbs
#97MUD VIPERPosted 9/6/2013 4:02:29 PM
The fact that a side scrolling game cost $900,000 to make baffles me and leads me to think there are far too many people who have their fingers in the honey pot.
---
Console bug testing has been outsourced to gamers now. For $60 you too can become a game tester.
#98SoincMetalPosted 9/6/2013 4:53:38 PM
MUD VIPER posted...
The fact that a side scrolling game cost $900,000 to make baffles me and leads me to think there are far too many people who have their fingers in the honey pot.

This, plus remember Pier Solar? What happened to that? These projects take way to long to get the actual product out. It's like the time it comes out you forgot you even invested in the damn thing, possibly losing any interest you had with it to begin.
---
SonicMetal? See the error in my name! I Skate DGK All Day. Brawl FC:4511-0201-6892
#99C810Posted 9/6/2013 5:03:20 PM
SoincMetal posted...
MUD VIPER posted...

This, plus remember Pier Solar? What happened to that? These projects take way to long to get the actual product out. It's like the time it comes out you forgot you even invested in the damn thing, possibly losing any interest you had with it to begin.

I remember reading about that game a few months ago. I made the decision to buy it after reading about how cool it was that it was made
---
#100Dragon NexusPosted 9/7/2013 2:46:26 AM
C810 posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
C810 posted...

Even so though, he should have known approximately what blowing out the game would cost. I get that he wanted to deliver larger, better, more polished game with the extra money, that's an understandable goal. But I find it really hard to defend him when he spent all the Kickstarter money and isn't even releasing the full game in one piece. Not to mention that the game is already quite behind schedule, with this only pushing it further back. I remember reading an interview about him in Game Informer and he said something like the original scope of the game was only 10% of what it is now. That means he either needed to ask for a lot more money off the bat, or he needed to keep his ideas under control.

EDIT: Documentary funded, now onto the console ports! Hopefully we'll be able to find out a lot of, if not all, the ??? goals. Although funding is starting to slow down though so right now I'm thinking we won't see every one

Well again, he felt like setting up a second kickstarter would have been insulting, and it would have been. So his current plan is to release the game in two parts. People who funded the kickstarter will get the first part, everyone else buys it (as would normally be the case) and the funds from the sale of the first part will finish off the second part.

And that's not 100% of the money went to only 50% of the game. He has something like 90% of it completed and just needs that last bump to finish off the second part.

Being behind schedule...makes sense when you open up the scope of the game. If you say you can build a house in a year then decide to build an apartment block, it's not going to be finished in a year.

As for asking for more money, I imagine he asked for what he felt he needed for the project he had in mind and had no idea how much of an outpouring of support he'd get, to the point where he had too much money.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde