This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are you guys with huge backlogs of games thinking?

#1Dante729Posted 9/1/2013 3:12:56 PM
Now, I'm not trying to be condescending here, so I apologize beforehand if I come across as such, but I never understood why or how people end up with such huge backlogs. I can understand a couple of games, sure, but I when I see people list off ten games or more, I start to get confused.

I understand the, "Well, it was on sale, so I couldn't pass it up!" mentality, but that ends up biting you in the ass when you have so many games that you haven't played to the point where you're thinking you're not going to bother playing them at all. Spending ten dollars on a game that is normally thirty, and then not playing it, is still wasting ten dollars. Then one could say, "Well, it's nice to have it so that I can eventually play it!" but then who is to say that it wouldn't be cheaper in the long run?

Of course, it's all other people's money, and not mine, which is why if you have a huge backlog of games that you may or may not end up playing it's fine, I'd just like some insight as to how one gets to the point of having so many games that they haven't played, and then continue to get more.
---
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
#2SkilzMCPosted 9/1/2013 3:25:39 PM(edited)
I'd rather snatch up cheap games and get around to them eventually than constantly wait for the next $60 release.

Plus I'm late to the party since I got my Xbox 3 years ago.
---
"I wanted to buy a candle holder but the store didn't have one, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC
#3glassghost0Posted 9/1/2013 3:17:44 PM
I collect games. Got tired of always trading games in then wanting to play them again, etc..

What does it matter what someone else buys?

I've never spent more than 10 bucks to add a game to my backlog
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#4Dante729(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 3:21:06 PM
glassghost0 posted...
I collect games. Got tired of always trading games in then wanting to play them again, etc..

It doesn't matter what someone (you) buys, as I said, it's their (your) money, so what they (you) buy is completely up to them (you). I was more curious as to what people are thinking when they buy the games.
---
#5pothocketPosted 9/1/2013 3:26:15 PM
I'm thinking: this game that has been on my radar is right here and it's only a few $$
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#6knives outPosted 9/1/2013 3:30:35 PM
as a young man i loved games and had plenty of time but couldnt afford to get all the ones i wanted. as an old man i can afford games but have a lot less time to play. i dont feel old and i dont often consider time when i see a game i like on sale. now my backlog is enormous and id need a year off to get through it.

it was not a conscious decision to accumulate a s***ton of games. it just happened.
---
Remember.... violence is NEVER the answer. Sometimes, though, it's the question... and the answer is "Yes".
#7glassghost0Posted 9/1/2013 3:32:19 PM
Dante729 posted...
glassghost0 posted...

It doesn't matter what someone (you) buys, as I said, it's their (your) money, so what they (you) buy is completely up to them (you). I was more curious as to what people are thinking when they buy the games.

I answered your question then..

I collect games.

Game is under 10 bucks, why not buy it? I don't live at home on an allowance.

If me and my fiance go out to eat, it'll cost more than 10 bucks, so we eat at home and I can buy a game for cheaper...
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#8Dante729(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 3:33:37 PM
glassghost0 posted...
Dante729 posted...
glassghost0 posted...

I answered your question then..

I collect games.

Game is under 10 bucks, why not buy it? I don't live at home on an allowance.

If me and my fiance go out to eat, it'll cost more than 10 bucks, so we eat at home and I can buy a game for cheaper...

Yes you did answer my question, I was merely acknowledging yours.
---
#9JoboHotepPosted 9/1/2013 3:51:43 PM
Dante729 posted...
I understand the, "Well, it was on sale, so I couldn't pass it up!" mentality, but that ends up biting you in the ass when you have so many games that you haven't played to the point where you're thinking you're not going to bother playing them at all. Spending ten dollars on a game that is normally thirty, and then not playing it, is still wasting ten dollars. Then one could say, "Well, it's nice to have it so that I can eventually play it!" but then who is to say that it wouldn't be cheaper in the long run?

Who thinks that? I have a <huge> amount of games, and I'm quite certain I will eventually play them all.

I don't collect games really, but I keep track of deals, and when I find something I want for $20 or under, I buy it.

To try to answer your question though, I enjoy having a large amount of games so there's always <something> I'll feel like playing.
---
If I don't meet you no more in this world then uh, I'll meet ya on the next one..And don't be late- Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child
#10TheBlueStigPosted 9/1/2013 3:56:31 PM
Dante729 posted...
I understand the, "Well, it was on sale, so I couldn't pass it up!" mentality, but that ends up biting you in the ass when you have so many games that you haven't played to the point where you're thinking you're not going to bother playing them at all.

Very few people get to that point, most people with backlogs from games they bought on sale have every intention of playing every game they have.

Spending ten dollars on a game that is normally thirty, and then not playing it, is still wasting ten dollars. Then one could say, "Well, it's nice to have it so that I can eventually play it!" but then who is to say that it wouldn't be cheaper in the long run?

Given the way that game pricing works, when you find a 2 month old $60 game on sale for $20 or less and it's a game on your most wanted list, and you've got the excess money to buy it, you buy it, period, because you know it won't be put on sale that low again for a long time. The same goes for buy 1 get 1 free deals, take advantage, because the sales won't last.

I haven't paid more than $20 for a single game in the last 2 years.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.