This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games where the main protagonist is killed? (Potential mega spoilers, obviously)

#1Ryuji YamazakiPosted 9/2/2013 8:15:07 PM
80/80

I started thinking about this after playing Red Dead Redemption and I can't recall any other games where this happens. Specifically though I'm talking about cases where the protagonist is replaced by another playable character (such as in the aforementioned game), because not only is it quite easy to get the protagonist purposefully killed in the vast majority of games ever made, I'm sure there's also tons of games with multiple non-canon endings where your character dies (just about every Silent Hill for example).
#2simonbelmont2Posted 9/2/2013 8:17:40 PM
I can't think of that many games where the main protagonist dies and is replaced, it's a rare thing for me. The only game that springs to mind is the one you mentioned.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#3SheepinatorPosted 9/2/2013 8:20:57 PM
Mass Effect.

Fable's dog.

Gears' Dom.

Halo Reach.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#4Ryuji Yamazaki(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 8:25:07 PM
Just thought of another right after posting this :-P Although your character doesn't die, in Deadly Premonition he sort of... becomes his true self? I guess is the quickest and least spoilerish way to explain it? :-P
#5GnadoCoveredWarPosted 9/2/2013 8:32:24 PM
I can't really remember but I'm pretty sure Fatal Frame 2 had it, and it's teenage girls to boot. Also never played Saw or Ju-on but I have an inkling it might be the same if it follows the pattern of their respective movies. Also Friday the13th and endings where you DON'T follow the story in the Dead Rising series.

Oh yes of course! House of the dead 4 had the main of the 2 main characters sacrifice himself (which turned out to be pretty pointless). Same thing with Resident Evil 6 except the sacrifice was helpful and it was a new character.

Anyways the tvtropes page for Heroic Sacrifice, killed off for real, and Downer Ending might all have more examples.
#6Carribean_CoolPosted 9/2/2013 8:39:30 PM
At the time, Saints Row 1.
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#7beautifuldreamsPosted 9/2/2013 8:42:27 PM(edited)
Mark of the Ninja one of the 2 endings, arguably the good one (commits seppuku)
---
nyuuuuuuuuu~
#8glassghost0Posted 9/2/2013 9:16:07 PM

-Turning Point Fall of Liberty
-Assassin's Creed 3 (eh)
-CoD 4
-The Darkness (eh)
-Far Cry 3
-Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
-L.A. Noire
-Singularity (eh)
-RDR

---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#9GnadoCoveredWarPosted 9/2/2013 9:25:32 PM
glassghost0 posted...

-Assassin's Creed 3 (eh)
-CoD 4
-The Darkness (eh)
-Far Cry 3
-Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
-L.A. Noire
-Singularity (eh)
-RDR

Left 4 dead 2? What? Are you talking about the Sacrifice? Since I don't recall any of the main l4d2 characters ever dying.
#10glassghost0Posted 9/2/2013 9:33:40 PM
GnadoCoveredWar posted...
glassghost0 posted...

-Assassin's Creed 3 (eh)
-CoD 4
-The Darkness (eh)
-Far Cry 3
-Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
-L.A. Noire
-Singularity (eh)
-RDR

Left 4 dead 2? What? Are you talking about the Sacrifice? Since I don't recall any of the main l4d2 characters ever dying.

So much for spoilers but yes, Bill is canon but yes, one person has to "die"
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122