This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Worst thing about gaming today?

#1flame030191Posted 9/2/2013 10:00:47 PM
Let's face it, there's a lot wrong with gaming today. From endless pointless DLC, multiple patches, boring missions, and more, there's a lot to not like.

To me, the worst of all is when a game tries to treat you like you're stupid. For example, I remember when Magna Carta 2 started up, they actually explained what color each button should be when you went through the tutorial. Not many games go that far, but that aggravated me. One of the more common offenses is in action games, such as Assassin's Creed and God of War. Whenever you get somewhere, the game shows what needs to be done. This is fine and dandy, show us the objective. However, when they show you the exact path that needs to be taken, and repeatedly show it to you, some games even show it slower or with more detail (especially if they give written/spoken hints), then it's too far. Show us an idea of where to go, and let us figure it out is what I'd rather have.

Thoughts? Other things you find worse?
---
PSN ID: armyflame (formerly Troll_Face_Flame) X360 gamertag: That Guy Flame
Call of Duty 2 is still the best of the series.
#2zerooo0Posted 9/2/2013 10:03:17 PM
I think gaming has been doing pretty well actually.

Dare I say gaming is at it's strongest point than ever, you just have to get around the shady business practices & enjoy the ones who does it right like R* & CDPR.
---
Starwars Battlefront+Destiny+Titanfall+Battlefield 4+Halo 5=Me in FPS heaven for these next few years.
#3656stoogePosted 9/2/2013 10:05:20 PM
Puzzles for 2 year olds in a game rated mature

Walk into a room, see the puzzle. Game goes into a cutscene that flies around the room one at a time showing you each and every step you'll have to do in order to complete it.

Then, once that's over a message will appear telling to press a button for hints or to highlight everything in the room you can interact with.

So you walk up to an object and a giant flashing button prompt will appear. Instead of just pressing it though, you have to mash it for 30 seconds.
Do this 4 times to solve the puzzle.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#4C810Posted 9/2/2013 10:21:42 PM
zerooo0 posted...
I think gaming has been doing pretty well actually.

Dare I say gaming is at it's strongest point than ever, you just have to get around the shady business practices & enjoy the ones who does it right like R* & CDPR.

Hell yeah, CDPR is the best!

But I think the worst thing about gaming today is the causalization of everything. Before this gen, every game existed in its genre and stayed there. It competed against other games in the same genre, but that was fine and to be expected. But then the Wii happened and showed everybody what kind of money they could make if they watered down the gaming experience so everyone can play it. Now every game tries to have something for everyone and games have gotten much easier since then. There was nothing wrong about releasing an RPG/FPS/RTS that only those fans would play. Those are the real fans, and watering them down is just going to piss them off.

Games should be a master of their genre, and not try to be a jack of spades. An RPG should have a grand story, but should require a high level of skill to beat. An FPS should have solid mechanics, but doesn't need an overblown story. Games should be made for the fans, not for their grandma's
---
He has a robot body though, if he farted it would probably come out sounding like dubstep. - ISquat600lbs
#5NevercomingdownPosted 9/2/2013 10:49:21 PM
Games are all about the bottom line now.. which means endless sequels and lazy rehashes, left out content for later dlc, special editions or preorder bonuses. Also leading to casualization (Mass Effect), which ruins games.
---
GT: Elesp || PSN: DestroyTheEnd
#6CammyApplePosted 9/2/2013 11:13:12 PM
ITT: People think an industry is "suddenly" about money. Also they think "casual" gamers are to blame when they are the ones keeping things afloat.

Worst thing about gaming, the consumer. We are the worst thing. The internet makes us even worse.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#7Dante729Posted 9/2/2013 11:15:40 PM
...I'd say taking the player's ability away to save, and forcing them to rely upon autosaves is something I'm not too huge a fan of.
---
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
#8WinternovaPosted 9/2/2013 11:30:50 PM
flame030191 posted...
Other things you find worse?

Gamers complaining about gaming on internet message boards.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#9EagleEyedTigerPosted 9/2/2013 11:37:30 PM
Winternova posted...
flame030191 posted...
Other things you find worse?

Gamers complaining about gaming on internet message boards.

---
GT/PSN:BigKhoJones
Demonstrate Engage Nurture Neglect Inspire Separate
#10656stoogePosted 9/3/2013 12:12:46 AM
CammyApple posted...
ITT: People think an industry is "suddenly" about money. Also they think "casual" gamers are to blame when they are the ones keeping things afloat.

Worst thing about gaming, the consumer. We are the worst thing. The internet makes us even worse.

Get over yourself. I bet you think the music industry is just as good today as it was during the 60's, 70's and 80's as well?
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.