This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should Microsoft put up a site to warn people of content about to be delisted?

#11rttnPosted 9/5/2013 7:59:26 AM
Totally agree. I've missed out on a few things I was just waiting to see if they would go on sale, but then just got taken off. Ion Assault being one of them
---
ยกPowerGuides 1.11! If you own any XBL Indie Games, Please rate them
GT: rttnCRAFT
#12TheBlueStig(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 8:46:37 AM
Ginsu Victim posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
Do you really think DLC should just disappear and be lost forever? If so, why?

That's a different question than your poll question.

Not really, because most of the time delisting is permanent as I said in my first post. So once it's delisted without warning, it's gone forever.

Right now Turn 10 is in the hotseat with Forza fans because they started up the Forza Rewards program, which gives rewards like Unicorn cars and ingame cash for both FM4 and Horizon. That program gives credits based on the amount of purchased DLC in FM3, FM4, and Horizon.

They started that program, and put all the FM3 DLC on sale around the same time, now all the FM3 DLC is gone, with no warning from Turn 10 at all, and the program is still going, which makes it totally impossible to fill up those credits now.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#13FredSavage27Posted 9/5/2013 1:39:48 PM
It's a competely different question: the first time you ask if Microsoft should give us advance warning for delisted content. The "rephrasing" asks if the content should be removed in the first place. I don't think anybody wants content to be removed, but if Metallica aren't letting Harmonix renew the rights to their Rock Band songs, or if the rights to Mortal Kombat or Ninja Turtles change hands, there's nothing that can be done about it.
#14scoobydoobydontPosted 9/5/2013 1:44:28 PM
Winternova posted...
If it's not their content, they may not have much warning at all before the content is de-listed. It's asinine to expect Microsoft to anticipate other companies' decisions.

MS is more than capable of requiring a warning period for anyone wanting to sell/distribute content on their network. Come the **** on, not giving a warning is inexcusable. MS also has de-listed their own content without warning us. It's an anti-consumer **** you, pure and simple.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png
#15MachineZedPosted 9/5/2013 2:01:08 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Winternova posted...
If it's not their content, they may not have much warning at all before the content is de-listed. It's asinine to expect Microsoft to anticipate other companies' decisions.

MS is more than capable of requiring a warning period for anyone wanting to sell/distribute content on their network. Come the **** on, not giving a warning is inexcusable. MS also has de-listed their own content without warning us. It's an anti-consumer **** you, pure and simple.

Yet a game like Too Human had to get taken down due to the Developers litigation. IIRC they were issued what amount to a cease and desist from selling the game due to the developers using the Unreal Engine. There was no way of knowing that the judge would tell them to recall all copies unsold from stores and take them down from their digital distribution.

Not to mention the distribution rights of the games once a company files for bankruptcy, in the case of THQ. Or the IP holder signing a new deal with a different publisher like Marvel did, which meant no more Marvel Ultimate Alliance DLC.

So you are telling me that MS should have the where with all to know that companies are going to file for bankruptcy or getting sued for using technology they should have been using to begin with, or that the IP holder is shopping around its IP to new developers/publishers. Cause if you can guess where and when each of those things will happen you can be making Billions of dollars, and can bend the stock markets to your will.
#16TheBlueStig(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 10:42:23 PM
MachineZed posted...
So you are telling me that MS should have the where with all to know that companies are going to file for bankruptcy or getting sued for using technology they should have been using to begin with, or that the IP holder is shopping around its IP to new developers/publishers. Cause if you can guess where and when each of those things will happen you can be making Billions of dollars, and can bend the stock markets to your will.

Every single one of the situations you just described had an end date on it, a final day by which all that content had to be removed. MS could EASILY set up a site to warn people that "Content X" must be removed by this final date, get it while you can.

They already know for a FACT that giving people a warning of impending delisting makes sales go UP, which makes money for both Microsoft, and for the publisher/developer, after all Microsoft is taking a 30% cut of every sale on the marketplace.

In your scenario of an IP holder shopping around to new developers, that IP holder has to abide by the distro contracts already signed or face a massive cash penalty for breaking the contracts.

Every single digital distribution contract has a start date, and an end date. All (most) 360 owners want is to know the end date, it's not that difficult to do, just set up a site, list the games in alphabetical order, add a search function to find specific titles, and list the final date for that content.

Technically they wouldn't even need to set up a new site, they could easily add a final distribution date to every item on xbox.com, do it right on the marketplace. That would be the easiest solution, everybody could see the start and end date of the content they want.
---
#17FredSavage27Posted 9/6/2013 9:48:40 AM
The publishers are the ones who take the content down, so it's on them to let us know. Sony and Nintendo don't warn people about de-listed content either.
#18TheBlueStig(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 10:01:35 AM
FredSavage27 posted...
The publishers are the ones who take the content down, so it's on them to let us know. Sony and Nintendo don't warn people about de-listed content either.

The content is on Microsoft's servers, so they'll know exactly when it's coming down. Publishers don't get to take content down on a whim, they're under a CONTRACT to have that content for a specific amount of time.

Remember that word....CONTRACT....now go research what happens when people try to break a contract.
---
#19FredSavage27Posted 9/7/2013 8:34:52 AM
Publishers can take down content at any time, and with licensed content they're often forced to.
#20TheBlueStig(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 8:48:29 AM
FredSavage27 posted...
Publishers can take down content at any time, and with licensed content they're often forced to.

You just don't get it, when content is put up, it's there under a contract with specified dates, whether it's as short as 6 months, or as long as 15 years (shortest and longest contracts demonstrated within the gaming industry).

That means, since you need it explained to you, that they have obtained the digital distribution rights to put that content up for that specified amount of time.

If they take that content down BEFORE that time, they are in breach of contract and they can be SUED by Microsoft for breaking the contract. There are very few provisions in those contracts to break them before the end date without massive cash penalties and/or lawsuits.

So no, they CANNOT just take content down on a whim without violating the contract they signed.

In the case of games involved in a lawsuit where the DD rights are in question, a judge's order is a sufficient reason to break the contract without penalties.
---