This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is hardcorps really this hard???

#31SheepinatorPosted 9/7/2013 9:08:08 PM
CammyApple posted...
Sheepinator posted...
I've rarely seen such a collective failure of critical thinking in one place. Nowhere did I suggest anything remotely like any of these comments. Plenty of games can be hard without forcing the player to replay early levels ad nauseam.

So let's say Mikey has finished the game. It took him 2 hours from start to finish. He thinks he's "hardcore". Let's say Jimmy also finished the game. He played it for 6 hours a day for a month, replaying early levels over and over and over and over to finally get past them by rote learning and/or luck, like a million chimps recreating Shakespeare. Is he also "hardcore" and possessing elite gaming skill? Or is he just another chump who paid full price for a game sorely lacking in content and designed by a sadist who takes joy in watching all the little hamsters running along his wheels over and over and over again?

You don't provide enough info.

Did either person research the purchase first?
Did they enjoy their time with the game?

Your analogy to the chimps is a failure too.

Simple question for you, do you enjoy replaying early levels of a game ad nauseam when the designer forces that on you? Do you at any time think, "I've got better things to do than replay level 1 for the Nth time?", or do you instead revel in the wonderful game design for the Nth time?
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#32CammyApplePosted 9/7/2013 9:12:39 PM
Sheepinator posted...
CammyApple posted...
Sheepinator posted...
I've rarely seen such a collective failure of critical thinking in one place. Nowhere did I suggest anything remotely like any of these comments. Plenty of games can be hard without forcing the player to replay early levels ad nauseam.

So let's say Mikey has finished the game. It took him 2 hours from start to finish. He thinks he's "hardcore". Let's say Jimmy also finished the game. He played it for 6 hours a day for a month, replaying early levels over and over and over and over to finally get past them by rote learning and/or luck, like a million chimps recreating Shakespeare. Is he also "hardcore" and possessing elite gaming skill? Or is he just another chump who paid full price for a game sorely lacking in content and designed by a sadist who takes joy in watching all the little hamsters running along his wheels over and over and over again?

You don't provide enough info.

Did either person research the purchase first?
Did they enjoy their time with the game?

Your analogy to the chimps is a failure too.

Simple question for you, do you enjoy replaying early levels of a game ad nauseam when the designer forces that on you? Do you at any time think, "I've got better things to do than replay level 1 for the Nth time?", or do you instead revel in the wonderful game design for the Nth time?

Depends on the context. If a game is enjoyable then I don't mind replaying levels even when "forced" too. I'm a Shmup player. I'm used to it. You eventually get good enough at it that it's a nonissue.

If I have better things to do then I do those things instead. So again a nonissue.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#33SheepinatorPosted 9/7/2013 9:26:17 PM
CammyApple posted...
Sheepinator posted...

Depends on the context. If a game is enjoyable then I don't mind replaying levels even when "forced" too. I'm a Shmup player. I'm used to it. You eventually get good enough at it that it's a nonissue.

So, no. Nothing you said there confirms you actually enjoy it or think it's good game design.
---
#34CammyApplePosted 9/7/2013 9:28:41 PM
Sheepinator posted...
CammyApple posted...
Sheepinator posted...

So, no. Nothing you said there confirms you actually enjoy it or think it's good game design.

I don't live in a world where there is only great and terrible game design. I understand why some games are the way they are. I don't play things that are not fun.

Whether I enjoy something is vastly more important than "game design".

How do you feel about Rogue-Likes? Bad game design there too?
---
#35JamanjaxPosted 9/7/2013 9:29:10 PM
"Dark Souls is hard." - Sheepinator, 2011
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#36CammyApplePosted 9/7/2013 9:30:06 PM
Jamanjax posted...

Only if you don't use your brain.

Go Slow
Shield Up
Roll Roll Roll
---
#37SheepinatorPosted 9/7/2013 9:37:14 PM
Jamanjax posted...

"Still making up straw men." - Jamanjax, today.
---
#38JamanjaxPosted 9/7/2013 9:57:55 PM
"I frequently buy games that I know will be too difficult for me, so I can ***** and moan about said difficulty." - Sheepinator, 2013
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#39JRDeBoPosted 9/7/2013 10:11:20 PM
Sheepinator posted...
JRDeBo posted...
So your saying all games should just have a toggle for invincibility so if someone deems the game too hard they can finish it no matter what?

I pretty much took what you said and took it to the extreme. If you can consider having to replaying a level (or an entire game (which most of the time in these situations, isn't all that long)) "an arbitrary difficulty level" then why can't someone else say "A monster/trap killing me is cheap and I should be able to just go past it without actually beating it. If I've paid for it, I should be able to experience it all without all these cheap enemies. They're just an arbitrary difficulty level made to waste my time."
---
Oakland Raider fan till I die. Let's just try not suck this year.
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=jrdebo http://raptr.com/jrdebo
#40DiscernPosted 9/7/2013 10:40:34 PM
When I saw Hard Corps was on sale here I was pretty stoked. Then I went to DL it and it wasn't the Sega Genesis version. I dled the trial and played through it for a bit. Thought it was decent but not nearly as awesome as the Sega one was.

Remember as a kid hating that Aaarrrrghhh! Every damn time you died though. The multiple endings and paths were amazing though along with the cool music and little cut scenes for the system too.
---
GT- Discern88