This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ever think about retiring from gaming at the close of this gen?

#41SVT52986Posted 9/8/2013 5:41:43 PM
I am one of those in their 40s that visit this site and gaming is my main hobby. Was playing various recreational sports in leagues but injuries suck once you get older and you lose that spark to compete. Now with gaming I have never lost that spark as I have been playing since the days of the Atari 2600 and still enjoy it. The only thing I will most likely do with this new generation coming is make smarter purchases. I have bought quite a few games that I have played once, conpleted and honestly will never play again. I plan on only picking up those titles that I am 100% certain that I will play and put a lot of time into. If I am unsure about a game then I will wait for some user reviews then most likely pick it up after a price drop or two. Also not buying and more Collectors Editions of games that dont offer something I consider valuable to me.
#42MatrixAndrAIaPosted 9/8/2013 7:49:11 PM
I'll never retire from gaming. I've been gaming since 1985 starting with our old TI99 computer, and this hobby has never gotten boring to me.

I may not like the direction that the industry is headed (social gaming, multiplayer, etc.), but as long as there are solid single player experiences and excellent old school style games, I'll always stick with it.
---
Your name is sung and tattooed now on my heart - here I will carry you forever
Carry Tori Amos
#43MarkMiltonPosted 9/8/2013 8:05:41 PM
ever since the Xbox One was announced, along with the PS4, i really started to get fed-up with gaming in general.

nowadays, i've pretty much exclusively play my 3DS, and have only been turning my Xbox on to download the free games and see what games are on sale that i might want to play in the future.

i'm turning 36 this month, and i've been gaming my entire life, but i think i'm just getting tired of the crap Microsoft and Sony have been dishing out. i'm tired of the fanboys that measure a person's character based on what game system they own. i'm tired of games that are more about looks than actual gameplay.

i'm just tired of it all in general.

so i won't be buying either of the new systems anytime soon.... and maybe not ever.
---
If on Decepticon turf you happen to stumble, watch out robot, HERE COMES RUMBLE! ~~ Rumble... duh!
Gamertag: MarkMilton FC: 1977-0327-3304
#44CaIiber345Posted 9/8/2013 9:11:28 PM
darren19822000 posted...
TheMuffin posted...
darren19822000 posted...
Winternova posted...
I've been playing home video games since my dad brought home a Pong console in 1976. I doubt I'm going to stop any time soon. In three years, I'll have been playing video games at home for 40 years.

That's a sobering thought.

whats worse is your around 40 since you couldnt be gaming in diapers...and you post here all day every day. can you say no life....

I'm in the right mood to straight up call you a god damned idiot for that comment. What's worse is that you feel superior to him even though you wouldn't pass a third grade English test with those writing skills of yours. The amount of failure you just typed makes me hope a nuclear weapon hits just so I don't have to see the world taken over by people like you.

this guy is super mad. do you know i could care less about grammer and spelling on a message board...and now i do it just to upset grammer cops like you. if you must know i graduated with straight a's thank you very much. by the sound of your post you need to have some anger management classes if your this upset over some spelling errors in a post not directed at you

A few spelling errors is one thing. Your complete lack of disrespect for written communication is pathetic. You are posting a message in text; it would be nice if it was coherent. If you cannot take some pride in how you present yourself, even here on a video game website, you clearly lack the ability to achieve "straight a's". I completely agree with Mr. Muffin that annihilation is an acceptable alternative to living in a world where people like you are permitted to spew what serves as an opinion without even bothering to use some form of Spell Check, in a medium that is completely presented in the written word.

In order to know that Winternova is on here all day, that must mean you are on here all day as well. Next I suppose that you will argue that you are younger than he is, which mystically nullifies the relevance of the amount of time that you spend here.
---
"There is a lot of middle ground between superhero powers and "Niko, let's go bowling." Dr_Mojo
GTA V: Jet Fighter Deer Hunting
#45CaIiber345Posted 9/8/2013 9:30:27 PM
On Topic!

I'm 34 and I've been gaming for 30 years since the Atari 2600. Gaming has always been my main hobby. I've owned NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS, PS2, Xbox, Wii, Xbox 360, several Gameboys, the original Nintendo DS, and the original PSP.

While I can find my way around a PC just fine, and I love my iPad2 and iPhone, I also like gaming in its simplest form:

Turn on TV.
Turn on console.
Insert game.
Play game.
The End.

While that still exists, the age of multimedia has changed what gaming consoles are and the experiences they deliver. I am not against the inclusion of apps and services like Netflix. I believe they are great alternatives to people for various reasons spanning the different lifestyle choices. However, as things like Kinect and digital distribution continue to push gaming into different territories, I don't believe that the "simplest form" will be able to exist for much longer. I personally use my console to play games and that's it. Although my singular tastes and experience do not adequately reflect the entirety of gamers, the shift in the other direction is going to alienate me if it becomes extreme.

As an example, I love my Xbox 360. I wanted to stay with the Xbox brand next gen, but because of Kinect's mandatory inclusion with the console, I am buying a PS4. It may be stubborn and "on principle," but I will only support modern media trends to a certain extent. I really want to support Xbox, and may choose to do so in the future if Kinect becomes optional with the console. But the original Xbox One reveal and initial policies surrounding the console soured me in a way that nothing else has in thirty years of gaming. I completely accept that Microsoft is a business and saturating the widest possible customer base is a business strategy and the point in their eyes. Yet they haven't been in the gaming world for decades, and the shifts in attitude over technology and its means of distribution are changing the landscape of that world. As always, it comes down to our personal preferences and whether or not they align with those attitudes. Advances in technology have caught up to developers' imaginations, as well as how they deliver their content and products.

All of that shiny technology has made it a great time to be a gamer in many ways; in other ways, it has muddied the core concepts of what games and gaming represent and what they should be. I don't know that I will always be along for the ride. I do know that my tastes and enthusiasm for games and gaming is waning, although being more particular has allowed me to focus more closely on fewer games each year and that has been a good thing. Many people have made their choices regarding this upcoming console generation, and even beyond into the foreseeable future of gaming. I think that I'm somewhere in between that child that found adventure and imagination in those pixelated worlds of long ago, and the older man that has watched the evolution of a medium and finds that it just isn't quite the way it was "in the good old days." As it usually ends up, only time will tell.
---
"There is a lot of middle ground between superhero powers and "Niko, let's go bowling." Dr_Mojo
GTA V: Jet Fighter Deer Hunting
#46SexPantherPandaPosted 9/9/2013 12:04:16 AM
I haven't got a Wii-u and will be very cautious on what system to buy next gen, I don't seen myself buying all 3 systems like I did this gen.
#47Infinite 2003Posted 9/9/2013 2:54:27 AM
I'll retire from gaming, when I also retire from living. So no.
#48LapanuiPosted 9/9/2013 3:49:35 AM
I plan on entering the industry, so I can't just up and retire... I have to stay up to date. I also enjoy gaming to much to give it up.

I missed out on a lot of games as a kid, had a SNES and two games for years, even when the PS1 was released. When I got a PS1, my parents couldn't afford to just buy games, they would buy me magazines with the demos inside.

I only had a few games. I also lived on a main road as a kid, and wasn't allowed to go out, we did move, which allowed me to go outside. So I spent a lot of time outside. I still played games, but didn't really get into properly until I could earn money myself. This generation is really only generation that I was able to concentrate on.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1
#49NemerlightPosted 9/9/2013 5:19:57 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#50GeistPosted 9/9/2013 7:16:13 AM
Nope. I am a gamer and I will always be a gamer. If one thinks of giving it up they should, they were obviously not a real gamer in the first place.
---
Currently playing : Anything Kairosoft