This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As An Aging Gamer ...

#1lightfighterPosted 9/10/2013 4:23:54 AM
...I notice my favorite genres change.
(I started gaming in the mid 80s w/Atari)

My favs went from sports and platforming, to RPGs and Puzzle. I now need some mental challenge/stimulation with my games.

How about you?
#2LapanuiPosted 9/10/2013 4:32:14 AM
I grew up playing on the SNES. I played platformers, SMW and DKC, mainly.

Got a PS1, played a mixture of platforms, RPG's, Racing.

PS2: mainly RPG's.
Gamecube: Simulation, RPG's.

Wii: Hack & Slash, Platformers, Simulation.
PS3: Shooters, Open World, Action/Adventure, RPG, Racing...
360: Shooters, Open World, Action/Adventure, RPG, Racing, Fighting, Hack & Slash, Platformers, Simulation, Sports, Strategy...

My handhelds usually have RPG's, Simulation, Hack & Slash, etc.

We didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid, so I only owned SMW and DKC. We rented a game or two a month for a few days, but they didn't have a lot of choice. Same when I had a PS1, mainly demos, but I would use whatever money I could to buy FF games, and other RPG's. We were much better off when I had a PS2, would get games quite often. A lot of RPG's.

Could afford my own stuff throughout this gen and have been able to play a whole range of games. I wouldn't say my tastes in games has changed, I just have a restriction on how many games I could play.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1
#3GuideToTheDarkPosted 9/10/2013 4:44:13 AM
I favor whatever I haven't played much of recently, with the exceptions of fighting and stealth games, which are eternal. Fighting games because the competition never ends, and stealth because there are too few stealth games and I need more, forever.
---
SHUTUPPU ANDE EAT! TOO BAD NO BON APPETIT!
#4DarthOdinPosted 9/10/2013 4:49:20 AM
I still have the same favorite genre RPGs and TPS
---
GT: Evil Metalbeast
#5JukainPosted 9/10/2013 5:04:44 AM
I started with JRPGs (Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger), and they're still my primary genre. I also played platformers, fighting games, and action games back then and I still play them now. So I wouldn't say I've changed much.
---
"In peace, vigilance. In war, victory. In death, sacrifice." ~ The Grey Wardens
http://www.trueachievements.com/mygames.aspx?gamerid=71900
#6pakathecatPosted 9/10/2013 5:34:49 AM
I'm 33 and really got into gaming with the NES and Sega Master System. Even back then, the first RPGs I played-- Phantasy Star, Dragon Warrior, and Final Fantasy-- quickly became my favorite games.

Over the years, what has changed is I got away from platformers. As a kid, I was great at the Wonder Boy games, but going back and playing Monster World off the arcade, even with save-anytime, I was horrible. Got away from racing games too. Don't play point-and-click adventures much these days simply because the genre has about died. This generation, have a little more interest in shooters, but still only ones that have elements from other type of games I like, like loot or big open worlds.
#7MR_SorenPosted 9/10/2013 10:21:58 AM
During the SNES era, I started getting really into RPGs, and I considered them to be intellectually superior to other genres.

I now realize a good shoot-em-up or fighting game is at least as mentally stimulating as an RPG, and I tend to prefer them due to the shorter play sessions and typically better pacing.

Although my preferences now lean towards short and fast-paced games, I enjoy a little of everything.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
Blog: http://www.red-grenade.com
#8lightfighter(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 7:16:14 PM
Well-said posts - some interesting perspectives.
#9GGearXPosted 9/10/2013 7:38:12 PM
I'm young, and I noticed a shift between Handheld and console games, can
t even play more than 5 minutes of my favorite legend of zelda game ( Links awakening DX) without dropping it and playing something on my console. Seems like I just got spoiled on graphics, I can't play any GB game, and had trouble playing super metroid (my first time ) , 2d games are just meh now for me, and it's sad.
---
GT- Neon KnLght
This world is not made for Kings, only Knights.
#10Dagoth_WitPosted 9/11/2013 1:18:58 AM
If you have a PC, Antichamber is on sale on Steam. It's an excellent puzzler.
---
Maybe God made a monkey that doesn't like to think it's a monkey and lies a lot.