This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As An Aging Gamer ...

#11TenzhiPosted 9/11/2013 1:49:42 AM
My taste in genres hasn't changed much with age. However, I no longer have the same tolerance for high difficulty gaming. In my youth I would repeatedly hurl myself at a challenging game without regard for any frustration caused, whereas now if a game frustrates me too much I'll quit without looking back. My gaming priorities have shifted to relaxing and having fun.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#12oasisbeyondPosted 9/11/2013 2:10:58 AM
Always the same, they just expanded over time to deeper game experiences.

From adventure / Action platformers, to Adventure / Action games, Too now Adventure / Action games with Rpg elements in times.
#13kungfuj0Posted 9/11/2013 2:23:08 AM
I am 38.

Started gaming when I was 5 with Pong.

I got an Atari 2600 after that and an NES and then SNES after that.

Then N64, PS1, PS2, XBOX, and finally 360. I've also had a gaming-capable pc for much of that time.

My tastes have changed some as I've grown, though not that much. I'd say my biggest change is that I used to love some JRPGs, and now I can't stand them. Last one I liked was FFX, and I can't even imagine trying to play it now.

I used to love a lot of Japanese-animated cartoons as a kid as well, and now, I can't stand that stuff either. I actually went back and watched some of the stuff I used to watch as a kid, and I just sat there and wondered WTF I was thinking...

Dunno what it is, but that is my biggest change. Most of the other stuff I still like. I still love sports and racing games, fighting games, action games, and WRPG's as much as I ever did. I even still love cartoons, just not the Japanese-looking ones.
---
And to think...people laughed at me when I said MS could out-EA EA any day of the week.
Who's laughing now, *****es???
#14SS_MetalSonicPosted 9/11/2013 6:08:46 AM
kungfuj0 posted...
I am 38.

Started gaming when I was 5 with Pong.

I got an Atari 2600 after that and an NES and then SNES after that.

Then N64, PS1, PS2, XBOX, and finally 360. I've also had a gaming-capable pc for much of that time.

My tastes have changed some as I've grown, though not that much. I'd say my biggest change is that I used to love some JRPGs, and now I can't stand them. Last one I liked was FFX, and I can't even imagine trying to play it now.

I used to love a lot of Japanese-animated cartoons as a kid as well, and now, I can't stand that stuff either. I actually went back and watched some of the stuff I used to watch as a kid, and I just sat there and wondered WTF I was thinking...

Dunno what it is, but that is my biggest change. Most of the other stuff I still like. I still love sports and racing games, fighting games, action games, and WRPG's as much as I ever did. I even still love cartoons, just not the Japanese-looking ones.

I agree with this. but I never thought much about JRPG's .
I am 42 years of age . I have also been gaming since Pong. Had the Atari 2600 ,NES , Genesis , PS1 ,N64 ,PS2 , Dreamcast , Xbox, and 360/PS3.

My gaming habits have not changed much I still like fighters but I don't play them religiously anymore. I love racing games and always will. I love adrenaline filled action shooters because they are awesome!
---
PSWiiPC60DS - Sonic Generations, Asura's Wrath, Sleeping Dogs, Metro 2033, Borderlands, Darksiders 2, El Shaddai, Far Cry 3, Halo 4, Skyrim, Tomb Raider
#15DtooheyPosted 9/11/2013 6:36:40 AM
Nice to see some older games on this site. I'm 44 and still going strong with my XBOX360. Funny that when I had the time for all these games and different systems I didn't have the $$$. Now that I have the $$$ I don't have the time.
---
Enjoy Every Sandwich
#16casedawgzPosted 9/11/2013 6:41:17 AM
I used to be all about JRPGs but I never can get through them anymore. Last one I finished was Chrono Trigger on ds and I feel like that doesn't count because I played it way back when. The convoluted stories are too much for me to tolerate nowadays.
---
Official Justin Gabriel mark of the PWB
#17SheepinatorPosted 9/11/2013 7:01:03 AM(edited)
My tolerance for two things has gone way down:

Poor quality - I mean bad graphics, poor controls, broken camera, bugs, etc. There are simply too many good quality games out there including at super cheap prices, to spend time on games that can't get the basic requirements of being a game up to an acceptable level.

Forced replay - Again, too many good quality games out there to keep replaying early parts of games as forced to by the designer, often to cover for a lack of content in the game. High difficulty is fine, just don't throw me back to long before the part where I died.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#18ssj5goku2005Posted 9/16/2013 10:04:11 PM(edited)
I'm with you on that one...I used to love fighting games, but they don't hold my attention anymore for longer than 10-15 minutes unless it's Mortal Kombat

I also used to play FPSes a lot, but, again, they only one I can really play for longer than 10 minutes anymore is Halo

Now I mainly play open world-type games like GTA, Saints Row, and Assassin's Creed

However, if I had to pick a favorite it will probably always be platformers, even if only for the nostalgia of playing Super Mario Bros. 3 at my grandma's house when I was like 3 years old
---
not changing this sig until i feel like it - started 6.23.2009
#19VortPosted 9/17/2013 9:02:33 AM
Dtoohey posted...
Nice to see some older games on this site. I'm 44 and still going strong with my XBOX360. Funny that when I had the time for all these games and different systems I didn't have the $$$. Now that I have the $$$ I don't have the time.

THIS! Nicely said! 41 years old who also now gets his butt kicked by his kid on fighting games.
---
Jesus is Lord
#20darren19822000Posted 9/17/2013 9:09:12 AM
mine have changed because my genre is dying...TURN based jrpgs are what drove me when i was a teen. before ff7 it was all sports and mario..and whatever crap game my mom would bring home that was on sale
---
gt darren reefnugs gfaqs worst speller