This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

YO how likely is Microsoft to BAN you from XBL if you replace the HDD yourself?

#11beautifuldreamsPosted 9/10/2013 5:00:55 PM(edited)
last i recall you could only use specific western digital drives which will set you back $50 if you can find one. amazon and other places have the official one for $70-75 fairly often, so it's only a marginal savings really, and you still have to set the drive up right before putting it in the x360.

i'd be shocked if MS ever banned people for it, the majority of people banned would be innocents who bought a third party drive without knowing there could be a problem
---
nyuuuuuuuuu~
#12kungfuj0Posted 9/10/2013 6:01:05 PM
Well, I bought a drive off ebay a few years ago now, and they haven't banned me yet!

I don't think they care that much about the drive, as they can't really tell if you have a 'legit' one or not. It's the modding of the console itself that they care about.

Btw, the one that I bought was a 250gb drive that came from another 360, but there were plenty of others out there as well.

Also, as I understand it, the drives in the slim models are the same 2.5" drives, just in different cases. If you have the right tools, you can just buy one of those drives, take the case apart, get a 'fat' 360 case off ebay, and put that drive in that case and just go from there. It's not hard.
---
And to think...people laughed at me when I said MS could out-EA EA any day of the week.
Who's laughing now, *****es???
#13Dragon NexusPosted 9/10/2013 7:20:19 PM
kungfuj0 posted...
I don't think they care that much about the drive, as they can't really tell if you have a 'legit' one or not. It's the modding of the console itself that they care about.

They definitely can tell if you're using a legit drive. The drive has a serial on it and in it. If it doesn't match the list of approved MS hard drive models, they can detect it and ban you.

Now the question is simply whether they've bothered to do so. So far I've yet to hear any widespread bannings for this reason. The mods on the official Xbox forum have confirmed it's against the ToU, but I have never heard of it being enforced.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#14TheBlueStigPosted 9/10/2013 7:23:32 PM
Replace it with an Official HDD, you're fine.

Replace it with a 3rd party or counterfeit piece of s*** bought from ebay or some other shady seller and they illegally flashed the HDD, you're f***ed.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#15ValzacardXPosted 9/10/2013 7:49:47 PM
Just bought a 250 gig off Amaozon for a little of $50. Though it was legit till reading reviews, and and when it came in the mail a day later. Got put it right into the 360 and has been working fine no problems. BIG upgrade to my 60 gig.

Still miss my 250 gig FF 13 HDD. Wish I never sold it.
---
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement
#16TheMuffinPosted 9/10/2013 7:58:54 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Replace it with an Official HDD, you're fine.

Replace it with a 3rd party or counterfeit piece of s*** bought from ebay or some other shady seller and they illegally flashed the HDD, you're f***ed.

Just ignore this fella.
---
SnowFox7 ~I heard him use the term 'tarantula downpour', which would actually have been significantly worse than the rain we had that day.
#17infinitexxPosted 9/10/2013 8:21:42 PM(edited)
Unlikely, so long as you don't send MS a message with a video of you flashing a third party drive and installing it while providing proof of your gamertag.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.
#18Hucast9Posted 9/10/2013 10:28:38 PM
NOM posted...
I have a Pro model 360 with a 60GB HDD and it's full. I want to upgrade but Microsoft doesn't even offer the older, bigger HDDs anymore, just the Slim ones. GTA V is coming out and I have no room to install it on the HDD. This is not good.

How likely is MS to ban me from Live if I just buy a 2.5" HDD and stick it inside the casing of my old one?

Also, am I even allowed to talk about this on GameFAQs? So many rules I can't keep track.

Gamestop sells official used 250gb older model hard drives for $60. I got one a few months ago. You'll need a transfer cable to transfer your saves.
#19OverburdenedPosted 9/10/2013 11:21:34 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#20OverburdenedPosted 9/11/2013 1:32:03 AM
Damn G, Gateaux iz like dis light cake to, filled wif da cream and *%#$,
It's lite on da tounge and yum yum yum.

You thinkin Gheto braa, where we hook da xbox up to a 64flat, surround sound yo, and packin chrome gats.
---
Obliteration never felt so divine._
Crappy spelling due to my iPod.