This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm supposed to die in Castlevania HD, right?

#1656stoogePosted 9/11/2013 1:27:06 AM
Just die over and over and over in the first level until I have enough equipment to make it through?
If so, that's cool. Just making sure I'm not doing anything wrong and that the game is meant to played as a grind fest.

Also, can you level up, or is it all equipment based? And can you exit the game while still keeping all your equipment without having to die on purpose or wait for the timer to expire?

And one more question: what's the best DLC map to get first?
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#2NevercomingdownPosted 9/11/2013 1:55:17 AM
Well yeah, to an extent, a lot still depends on player skill but you will be doing many runs to get good equipment.

Its been a while since I've played, but there isn't a real level up, but with Soma you become stronger the more souls you get (I think).

Best dlc map.. probably that 8 bit draculas castle one. It's hard but has good loot and is a fun nostalgia trip
---
GT: Elesp || PSN: DestroyTheEnd
#3Enix BelmontPosted 9/11/2013 2:01:10 AM
Not really. I beat the first level with default equipment. It does ramp up and it's gonna be very hard beating level 2 without something new, though.

Best DLC map depends, but I recommend staying away from 7(pyramid), it's the least fun IMO. 8 is a bit big and bland 2, but I love the boss and the equips(depending on who you main). 9 has Beelzebub and was very fun. 10 is the entire game of castlevania 1 made into a level, and definitely recommended. 11 is maybe my favorite for one of my favorite video game soundtracks ever and is sorta the entire game of Getsu Fuma Den, which most people havent played, but it's another 8 bit game from NES by konami.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXiTtik0bW0

Worth it to set this song to multiple stages alone. Love it.
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.
#4PunkMcThrustPosted 9/11/2013 2:10:31 AM(edited)
I actually made my account specifically to partake in the Castlevania HD board back in the day.

Yeah it's a loot grinding game, you run the dungeons again and again hoping for good drops.
You're not supposed to die though, you're supposed to kill the boss.

You can level up but the conditions are different depending on who you play as.

Most of the characters level up based on how many times you use their skills (B button moves), their skills will level up after enough use which will have noticable effects (more fireballs, different type of axe thrown, etc.) which will level up your character's stats slightly.
Most of it is equipment based otherwise.

Alucard levels based off of exclusive scrolls he finds in chests. Soma uses the soul system from the Aria games.

iirc you can keep equipment upon quitting, I think it's how I got some spells for Shanoa.

You'll want all the DLC maps otherwise you'll be missing some important gear, start with the pyramid (first DLC level released, Ch. 7)

Oh, and if you really want to know what the characters are like, Soma is absolutely broken beyond belief, Richter is the second best due to extreme speed and attack power, Julius is up there for having tons of invincibility frames, Yoko does loads of damage but sadly has no jump kick, the rest aren't worth jack ****
---
#1 hater of Capcom, casual games, casual gamers, and the God of War series
#5Enix BelmontPosted 9/11/2013 2:03:53 AM
I recommend starting with Shanoa. She's the easiest to start with IMO.
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.
#6656stooge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 2:13:43 AM
Been playing as Alucard.

Thanks for the tips though.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#7infinitexxPosted 9/11/2013 4:40:36 AM
Yeah, Shanoa needs very little to get powerful. Her spells take a lot of grinding to maximize, but you can get access to all of them quickly, and even at the low end they perform well.

That said, once you're good at the game you can clear level 1 solely with combo boots without much issue, so it's definitely possible to do it with default gear, you just need to get used to dodging everything.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.
#8GGearXPosted 9/11/2013 6:37:29 AM
If you like the game stooge. DONT FORGET TO BUY THE DLC STAGESSSS! I highly recommend all of the them. Pretty fun to fight the other bosses. (especially the old dracula from CV1).
---
GT- Neon KnLght
This world is not made for Kings, only Knights.
#9moondog84Posted 9/11/2013 11:13:08 AM
I bought the game last week and I'm having a blast with it. My main character is Jonathan. I can finally beat the first level solo. The game is really fun in multiplayer.
---
Spaceballs the Signature