This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where does exploration rank in your favorite things to do in video games?

#1Dr JackalPosted 9/14/2013 2:33:35 PM
I was thinking about this with GTA V coming out. I've always liked the GTA series, but I've always been more drawn to the open world than the actual gameplay. I'm a sucker for games with big areas to explore.

Especially when they feel real. Even in a fictional setting.
---
Undefeated lifetime.
Currently playing: Tales of Xillia, White Knight Chronicles, Far Cry 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Ni no Kuni, Pandoras Tower
#2vigorm0rtisPosted 9/14/2013 2:34:58 PM
It's become one of my favorite things.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF http://i.imgur.com/D9R0iaQ.gif
#3orangeneePosted 9/14/2013 3:07:14 PM
Depends what mood I'm in. Sometimes I want to crack on and do something productive, sometimes I want to see how high I can jump this car into a building.

Then sometimes I like to wander around and see what the street peeps say.

As for other open world games, if there's creepy places to go I'll be exploring for hours.
---
How to divide by Zero: Find person named Zero, get him/her to divide something.
GT/PSN:Hellsteeth30
#4stawg007Posted 9/14/2013 3:19:46 PM
Very high

The more exploration you can do in a game the better
---
lPayneToTheMaxl
#5brunbbmercPosted 9/14/2013 3:21:07 PM
it depends on if there is something to do or its just a lot of nothing like every rockstar game seems to be
---
Dignity. Intelligence. Class. brunbbmerc. S&R's number one Rams fan.
http://www.gif-man.com/Animatedgifs/Spinning-SkullRedEyes.gif
#6takidigits2005Posted 9/14/2013 3:56:28 PM
I love the exploring in open-world racing games. Crack a beer (not that I'd do this in real life, obviously), turn on some quality tunes, and just drive around wherever I feel like. Games like Fuel and Test Drive Unilimited 2 were a huge time sink for me. Now, I'm looking forward to doing this in GTA V! I've heard the driving is much improved over previous installments. Just a few more days...
---
"I don't hate you for having an opinion. It's just that your opinion is irrelevant to my enjoyment of the game."
#7Arucard05Posted 9/14/2013 4:01:54 PM
Depends on the level of care the developer puts into making the world worth exploring. Bethesda games are pretty good for that sort of thing. GTA IV had the most detailed and interesting world to me. Just walking the streets, down alleyways, examining storefronts and billboards. Making the world interesting simply to exist in. That's, to me, where Rockstar is streets ahead of everyone else.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
It's better than bad.
#8JackBurton85Posted 9/14/2013 4:18:46 PM
Depends on the game.

Red Dead Redemption i spent VASTLY more time just traveling around, exploring, making my own fun then i did on anything else(and i still loved everythihg else). Took me like 2 years to finally complete the games story cuz of this.

So it can range from one of my favorite aspects to something i don't care to do much at all.
#9jrb363Posted 9/16/2013 7:58:20 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
It's become one of my favorite things.

---
Systems owned: Genesis, SNES, TG-16, PSX, PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, 360, Wii, PS3, GB, GameGear, GB pocket, GBA, GBA SP, Virtua Boy, Neo-Geo Color, PSP, DS, 3DS
#10Dragon NexusPosted 9/17/2013 2:48:29 AM
brunbbmerc posted...
it depends on if there is something to do or its just a lot of nothing like every rockstar game seems to be

Pretty much this.
Exploration without the end goal of being able to find something feels like a waste of time to me.

I'm not the kinda guy who plays games to make his own adventures up, I like a bit of structure, some kind of clear goal and context.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde