This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

going to gamestop for the midnight release of gtav? read this.....

#1rauwolfPosted 9/14/2013 6:52:22 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_273/8145-Confessions-of-a-GameStop-Employee-Part-One

this is the most brutally honest story I have ever read. like all of you I also hate gamestop (power to the players). when I walk into their stores and im greeted by that voice (welcome to gamestop, you are being videotaped in this store) I get this anger that swells inside me, I wish I could just punch who ever is behind that counter! But this story made me kind of sad. How can a company as big as gamestop be run by old farts that dont game? and why do they bend over for all the nasty indiviuals that call them?!
#2MalefactionPosted 9/14/2013 7:02:49 PM
Brutally honest? really? sounds like every other crummy retail job in existence. No better no worse. Nice hyperbole though.
---
There is no love in your violence.
#3SunDevil77Posted 9/14/2013 7:04:21 PM
Do I get to buy a video game I want and play it? That's all that matters, to me.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#4Dragon NexusPosted 9/14/2013 7:14:17 PM
I know how flippant this sounds but, why does this come as a surprise?

I can only assume the people who complain hardest about Gamestop have never worked retail. Most managers simply want the profit, because if they don't get it, they don't get their bonus. It's about appeasing *their* managers.

Gutting the boxes also makes plenty of sense from a retail standpoint. The store I worked in actually did have pre-made dummy boxes, but it's a supermarket that takes a lot more money than a games retailer. It could afford to.

Also from a knowledge standpoint, most customers aren't the hardcore message board frequenting gamers. They're the kind who liked something they saw in a magazine or something a friend has, or they just want the popular thing right now and they go and buy it. Not a lot of knowledge is required from the guy behind the till other than "where is it". Again, working in retail 98% of my customers already know what they want and they just ask for it or got it themselves. I'm there to take their money and smile.

People have a skewed idea of what retail work is about. I don't mind people hating a company or its policies, assuming they actually understand the policies and aren't just complaining for the sake of it, but to hate on the people who work there is just ignorant.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#5TheBlueStigPosted 9/14/2013 7:29:37 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Most managers simply want the profit, because if they don't get it, they don't get their bonus. It's about appeasing *their* managers.

GameStop managers right now are pushing whatever they're told because they're all working to get 100% FREE next gen systems. They get both systems, PS4 and X-Bone, for free.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#6CaIiber345Posted 9/14/2013 7:45:38 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
I know how flippant this sounds but, why does this come as a surprise?

People have a skewed idea of what retail work is about. I don't mind people hating a company or its policies, assuming they actually understand the policies and aren't just complaining for the sake of it, but to hate on the people who work there is just ignorant.

Having been through the retail ringer, I completely agree.
---
"There is a lot of middle ground between superhero powers and "Niko, let's go bowling." Dr_Mojo
GTA V: Jet Fighter Deer Hunting
#7infinitexxPosted 9/14/2013 7:47:53 PM
rauwolf posted...
when I walk into their stores and im greeted by that voice (welcome to gamestop, you are being videotaped in this store)

They say this when you walk into the store?

I only ever have someone asking if they can help me with anything.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.
#8levyjl1988Posted 9/14/2013 7:52:01 PM
The worst of the gutting was when I purchased a GBA game. The box was in utter bad condition, banged up and probably molested by children. It was the last copy the EB Games associated said, the game wasn't played. But for the collector in me who likes to leave thing in mint condition on my shelf, it was a sad day.

The fact is EB Games broke the manufacture's seal and from that it is used. Then there's the sticky residue from the display copies. Often people even steal the game cases of the game. For used copies of the game, the instruction manual is left out and people take them out if they want to replace their old one.

A game store near me in downtown Toronto Game Centre has the right idea. They put games in a glass case. No one can touch them unless asked. This keeps the game in a like new condition which I like and can purchase for dirt cheap compared to Gamestop.

Chances are you'll catch a sickness from handling the cases of games that was touched by many kids. It looks to be another film of dirt and snot.

Lucky for me when I bought Star trek the game however, even if it was gutted that game was in pristine condition surprisingly.
---
I hate games with bad game design
#9Dragon NexusPosted 9/15/2013 6:27:46 AM
levyjl1988 posted...
A game store near me in downtown Toronto Game Centre has the right idea. They put games in a glass case. No one can touch them unless asked. This keeps the game in a like new condition which I like and can purchase for dirt cheap compared to Gamestop.

Again, there's an issue of room.
How many games can you display in a glass case compared to a stack of shelves?

And to everyone who hates Gamestop every time they go there, I ask...why do you go there? Shop online where you'll always get a new product.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#10M_TollitsonPosted 9/15/2013 6:36:32 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
levyjl1988 posted...

Again, there's an issue of room.
How many games can you display in a glass case compared to a stack of shelves?

And to everyone who hates Gamestop every time they go there, I ask...why do you go there? Shop online where you'll always get a new product.

Also its about stock management. If they sell the gutted copies then there's no more on display so its clear that there's none in stock.