This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Used Component Cables...

#1smitsonmattPosted 9/16/2013 7:39:21 PM
I used the component cables(green, blue, red. don't know if I had the right name ...lol) but now the yellow white and red ones won't work on my TV which isn't as big of a problem for my Xbox, but it means I can't play my PS3 which only has the yellow white and red cables. I still hear the sound but theres video...

Anyone have an idea on what the issue is? I have a Phillips Smart TV if that helps.
#2TheBlueStigPosted 9/16/2013 7:42:47 PM
Are you constantly swapping cables in and out?

If so, you could have burned out the ports with a random static hit, or stressed them enough so that the connections have cracked and broken.

If you have HDMI ports on the TV, use those.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#3shawnmckPosted 9/16/2013 7:45:56 PM
Just go out and get an HDMI cable...problem solved.
Both XB 360 & PS3 use HDMI, and you'll get a better picture.
#4smitsonmatt(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 7:47:54 PM
No, I haven't changed them at all really. When I first got my TV a couple of weeks ago I was using the yellow white and red cords on my Xbox. Then I realized I had the green/blue/red cords on my Xbox and used those ones with the white and red plugged in for audio. Now today, I went to use my PS3 on this TV but instead of being ''component'' the source channel on my TV has changed to ''Video'' and I can only the hear PS3 turning on but there is no video to speak of ...

I do have HDMI ports, but I don't have a cable for it. I suppose I could buy a PS3 one?
#5TheBlueStigPosted 9/16/2013 7:50:05 PM
smitsonmatt posted...
No, I haven't changed them at all really. When I first got my TV a couple of weeks ago I was using the yellow white and red cords on my Xbox. Then I realized I had the green/blue/red cords on my Xbox and used those ones with the white and red plugged in for audio. Now today, I went to use my PS3 on this TV but instead of being ''component'' the source channel on my TV has changed to ''Video'' and I can only the hear PS3 turning on but there is no video to speak of ...

I do have HDMI ports, but I don't have a cable for it. I suppose I could buy a PS3 one?

HDMI cords are generic, they're not specific to any system. $10 at Radio Shack and you're good to go.
---
#6smitsonmatt(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 7:53:21 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
smitsonmatt posted...

HDMI cords are generic, they're not specific to any system. $10 at Radio Shack and you're good to go.

Alright Looks like thats the way to go! One last quick question for people, can I also use an HDMI cord to connect my laptop to the TV?

Thanks for the help everyone.
#7TheBlueStigPosted 9/16/2013 7:54:47 PM
smitsonmatt posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
smitsonmatt posted...

Alright Looks like thats the way to go! One last quick question for people, can I also use an HDMI cord to connect my laptop to the TV?

Thanks for the help everyone.

If your laptop has HDMI output, yes, you can do that. The 360 also has HDMI if you have a newer system.
---
#8shawnmckPosted 9/16/2013 8:12:48 PM(edited)
Wait a minute...
Are you referring to X-Box (as in X-Box 1), or XB 360 ?
Cause I don't know if the X-Box 1 has HDMI hook-ups...?

But you can check....it's somewhat of a small oddly rectangular shape.
They are unisex, so either end is used to plug into the same socket.
And you can buy them in various lengths.

But yeah, you just use the same chord for both your XB 360 & PS3.
And the HDMI cables are fairly cheap.

They are also becoming more standard, because they allow for a much better transfer rate, which equates to a crisper picture quality overall.
And, if you ever want to watch a movie in 3-D, you will have to have a HDMI cable (if your tv supports 3-D)
#9lokinineteenPosted 9/17/2013 9:38:51 AM
Dumb question but did you switch the little switch on the block that plugs into the Xbox 360? Which changes it from HDTV (component) to TV which is the yellow cable?