This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who here has a third-party high GB hard drive into their console?

#1AmazingDanyPosted 9/17/2013 11:23:12 AM
Does it work as good as a Microsoft one? Lighter on the checking account too, yes?

I asked because I might recommend a friend of mine who is stuck on a basic slim 4GB and he might need to upgrade if he'll want to play GTA5.

Unless he can go even cheaper with two usb sticks?
#2NeVaRmoorePosted 9/17/2013 11:26:22 AM
*waits for BlueStig*
#3TheBlueStigPosted 9/17/2013 11:26:24 AM
Didn't you already make this topic a couple days ago and you were told NOT to get an unofficial drive because they violate Microsoft's ToS rules, don't last as long, and are potentially counterfeit?

As moderators from MS's forums have said, "there are no licensed 3rd party HDD's".
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#4AmazingDany(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 11:39:23 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
Didn't you already make this topic a couple days ago and you were told NOT to get an unofficial drive because they violate Microsoft's ToS rules, don't last as long, and are potentially counterfeit?

As moderators from MS's forums have said, "there are no licensed 3rd party HDD's".

Dude, this is the first time I make this kind of topic in 13 years of frequenting this gaming forum.
#5MonoculusPosted 9/17/2013 11:42:50 AM
I said this in another thread recently, but I took the 320GB WD drive out of a new laptop I got at the end of 2011, set it up for use with the 360, flashed the BC partition from my official 60GB drive, stuck it in the 60GB's enclosure, and it's worked fine since. Plays all the Xbox games my old drive did, never had any read or write issues, haven't been banned by MS.

USB sticks might be a tad cheaper than a 120GB or 250GB drive, but speed varies and there's something like a 32 or 64GB limit and it's pretty dumb.

Technically, unofficial drives are against the Terms of Service, but I've yet to see hard proof that anyone's been banned solely for having an unofficial hard drive - putting modded content on it, hacking, DVD drive flashing, etc., yes, but never for a simple HDD swap alone. They'd run the risk of driving players to systems where you're allowed to use whatever memory you want, and too many customers are unaware of the fact that their HDDs might not be official - it's backlash that they don't want.

As a rule of thumb, ignore anything Stig posts.
---
XBL: RandomTag529 | Steam/PSN: FEGuy | 3DS FC: 2466-1889-8046
NES|SNES|PSX|N64|GC|X360|Wii|PS3|PC|GB|GBC|GBA|DS|PSP|Lite|3DS|Xperia Play|Vita|3DS XL
#6AmazingDany(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 11:48:59 AM
Monoculus posted...
I said this in another thread recently, but I took the 320GB WD drive out of a new laptop I got at the end of 2011, set it up for use with the 360, flashed the BC partition from my official 60GB drive, stuck it in the 60GB's enclosure, and it's worked fine since. Plays all the Xbox games my old drive did, never had any read or write issues, haven't been banned by MS.

USB sticks might be a tad cheaper than a 120GB or 250GB drive, but speed varies and there's something like a 32 or 64GB limit and it's pretty dumb.

Technically, unofficial drives are against the Terms of Service, but I've yet to see hard proof that anyone's been banned solely for having an unofficial hard drive - putting modded content on it, hacking, DVD drive flashing, etc., yes, but never for a simple HDD swap alone. They'd run the risk of driving players to systems where you're allowed to use whatever memory you want, and too many customers are unaware of the fact that their HDDs might not be official - it's backlash that they don't want.

As a rule of thumb, ignore anything Stig posts.

Thx. Who made that stig guy GF hall monitor anyway? (he he)
#7MrSherm619Posted 9/17/2013 12:13:58 PM
I have a 320 gb hard drive I installed about a year ago. Never had any problems
---
GT:MrSherm619
DS ID: 2498330671
#8smashthesmurfsPosted 9/17/2013 1:00:35 PM
I got a 120 gb one fake I guess you would say and it's worked fine for over a year.
---
GT: papa cashwads