This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pretty sure this is illegal but can someone clarify?

#1DVentPosted 9/18/2013 12:38:24 PM
I am pretty sure I know the answer to this already but figured I would ask anyways and since it sort of pertains to the XBOX 360 maybe someone can enlighten me. If I previously paid 60 dollars for a retail game at a store played it on my XBOX 360 doesn't that mean I bought the license and not the actual media it came on? So if you were to download it if it was available on PC and install it without buying the PC version, why is it illegal?
---
XBOX 360 GT - DVent360
#2TheBlueStigPosted 9/18/2013 12:40:34 PM
There's a different license for each version of the game, that's why you can't buy the 360 version of a game, then pirate the PC version.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#3DVent(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 12:43:27 PM
Also the reason why I ask for example is when I worked in IT for a school district we would buy 20 licenses of a piece of software for a lab - most software companies didn't care if a PC died and we re-installed it to another PC as long as we re-registered the license either through their server or over the phone. Most terms of service I ever read for PC software specifically stated they were granting use of their license and not the actual physical media. Same thing goes with triple play movie bundles where you get a Blu-Ray, DVD and digital copy for like 50 dollars - they don't care what the system is you are playing it on whether a stand-alone player, videogame system, PC or tablet.
---
XBOX 360 GT - DVent360
#4DVent(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 12:45:47 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
There's a different license for each version of the game, that's why you can't buy the 360 version of a game, then pirate the PC version.

So you are paying for the architecture of the code? I could understand if there were obvious differences like a standard game and a game of the year edition, or expanded DLC or content but if it is the same as far as that goes, just doesn't seem to make logical sense but then again I guess most laws don't.
---
XBOX 360 GT - DVent360
#5TheBlueStigPosted 9/18/2013 12:50:50 PM
DVent posted...
TheBlueStig posted...

So you are paying for the architecture of the code? I could understand if there were obvious differences like a standard game and a game of the year edition, or expanded DLC or content but if it is the same as far as that goes, just doesn't seem to make logical sense but then again I guess most laws don't.

You're still pirating the PC version of the game, which means it's still ILLEGAL.

Just because you bought one version of the game does NOT mean you get all the other versions free, it never has and never will.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#6G2584Posted 9/18/2013 12:56:28 PM
DVent posted...
Same thing goes with triple play movie bundles where you get a Blu-Ray, DVD and digital copy for like 50 dollars

You should stop shopping where you buy them for $50.
---
Let's share a tall cup of Jesus.
#7glassghost0Posted 9/18/2013 1:00:36 PM
I find it a little bit unsettling that you worked in an IT department and don't understand why this isn't allowed
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#8sonic51489Posted 9/18/2013 1:10:09 PM
You bought the license to play it on a particular system not all of them.
---
Rikkka66: It's such a pain chasing after a burning medic while screaming "Come back! I need to blow you!" into the mic.
#9shawnmckPosted 9/18/2013 1:26:36 PM
When you buy a product, you are basically buying the companies permission to use said item.
Lets say you buy a copy of a book...you are within your legal right to do whatever you want with the book (read it, burn it, re-sell it, whatever).
If you just down-load the copy illegally, then you haven't given the company any money.
Your money is payment for the companies hard work and intellectual property.

When you pirate software (a game) then you are not giving the company any money.
And it is nothing like buying used, since the copy was originally bought new at some point.

When you buy a car, you fill out the paperwork and you are authorized to drive that particular car (each car has a vin number & a license plate)...but it doesn't grant you the authority to drive someone else's car of the same year, make, and model.

Items paid for generally consist of two things...a product, or a service.
When you are buying software, you are basically buying intellectual property, which is basically a product.
Whenever you are gaining said product or service, it is generally viewed that it must be paid for in some fashion. To do otherwise is considered theft.

But again, I want to stress that illegally down-loading something off the net is considered piracy, and is not the same thing as buying something used. Some people can't make that distinction and consider anything bought used to be like theft, but they are wrong. The law is very clear on this matter, because of the First-Sale-Doctrine, which considers anything that was initially paid for to be the property of said owner.
When you illegally down-load something off the net, it was never purchased by anyone at any time, therefore it is theft.

However, some companies make it so that you are basically renting their product, and thus make you pay to renew said agreement with monthly or yearly dues. They can get away with this because of the nature of the product and the terms & conditions of use.
Here is where you start to get into muddy waters.
#10Matt_Man_2004Posted 9/18/2013 1:27:11 PM
It's illegal but not immoral really