This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you think were the most "Important" titles this generation?

#1o5pr3yPosted 9/19/2013 1:46:43 AM
I mean Important as in Ocarina of Time, Deus Ex, Metal gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Morrowind, etc.

Games that paved the way or defined a certain aspect or genre and have a timeless quality about them.

List your opinion and why you believe it's important.
---
GT: Samikaze707
#2OverburdenedPosted 9/19/2013 1:56:56 AM
Skate series. Opened up a whole new world of skateboarding games, controls were unique, made you appreciate each trick you were doing (especially the 3rd game with its hardcore mode). Give us Skate 4 now!.

Call of duty 4. After owning an original xbox and playing ghost recon 2 (awesome game by the way) my brother got a 360 and this game, I was amazed at how good it was.

Rockstar in general, each title they release is so well polished.
---
Obliteration never felt so divine._
Crappy spelling due to my iPod.
#3sonic51489Posted 9/19/2013 2:05:55 AM
Lost Odyssey
Showed me that JRPG's can still be done right in the correct hands.
---
Rikkka66: It's such a pain chasing after a burning medic while screaming "Come back! I need to blow you!" into the mic.
#4flame030191Posted 9/19/2013 2:21:48 AM
Call of Duty 4.

It took the basis of online-oriented console FPS and added more depth in the form of level up, custom loadouts, challenges, and replay value (in the form of prestige). Many games later adapted to this, showing CoD4 (while maybe not inventing such practices) paved the way for shooters this gen.

Oblivion

When this generation of systems released, it was well known to be powerful, but Oblivion really set the power into motion. It showed amazing visuals, deep lore, tons of content, refined gameplay, new abilities, etc on a very large scale.

Nothing else really comes to mind. Everyone else either played safe or didn't really pave the way for others in any notable way, that I can think of.
---
PSN ID: armyflame (formerly Troll_Face_Flame) X360 gamertag: That Guy Flame
Call of Duty 2 is still the best of the series.
#5o5pr3y(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 2:33:15 AM
I'd have to agree with pretty much everything posted so far.

As much as I dislike CoD, you have to give credit where it is due, and "Modern Warfare" really did bring in a ton of new gamers and bought about a more accessible side to gaming.

The "Mass Effect" and "Witcher" series for me both stand out for the way they've developed and honed the whole moral choice gameplay mechanic. Before it just dictated what your character looked like but with these games is altered the entire story line.
---
GT: Samikaze707
#6TimeShinigamiPosted 9/19/2013 3:14:16 AM
Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising for almost perfecting Character Action Games.

Deadly Premonition for proving that quirky, outside the box, games can succeed, even if they're mechanically broken.

ME 3 for its insanely addictive MP, that a TON of games will be following soon (looking at you BF 3).
---
Not changing this sig until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
GT- ShinigamiOfTime
#7Bac0n01Posted 9/19/2013 3:19:18 AM
Call of Duty 4 ushered in a whole new era of FPS's.
Bioshock. Too many reasons to list them all.
---
Fact: Every single episode of every TV show ever needs more Londo and G'Kar.
# of people who agree:
#8oasisbeyondPosted 9/19/2013 4:35:21 AM(edited)
Tomb Raider. It's dark, gritty, plays like butter, runs like butter, one of the most gory games this gen and it has still 18 years later the best female lead. Not a lot of female leads survive in this industry but she somehow did. It's my re4 of this gen, just top notch in all forms. The only thing needs improving bigger temples, more puzzles... Part 2? We will see.
#9joegt123Posted 9/19/2013 4:40:33 AM
oasisbeyond posted...
one of the most gory games this gen

...You're kidding, right?
---
"It was not for quiet complacence he was given the name of 'Thunder God'."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)
#10SunDevil77Posted 9/19/2013 5:07:56 AM
Halo 3
GTA V/Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us
Bioshock
Super Mario Galaxy
Wii Sports
Minecraft
Skyrim
Mass Effect

All did some pretty important things for the industry.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539