This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you think were the most "Important" titles this generation?

#21Carribean_CoolPosted 9/19/2013 7:39:48 AM
Darksiders series

Team Fortress 2

Red Dead Redemption

Forza 4

Borderlands series
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#22SkilzMCPosted 9/19/2013 8:51:03 AM
Spec Ops: The Line
Bioshock Infinite
Fallout 3
Red Dead Redemption/GTA V
---
"I wanted to buy a candle holder but the store didn't have one, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC
#23WinternovaPosted 9/19/2013 9:02:00 AM
Mass Effect Trilogy
NHL 14
Bioshock
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 3
Skyrim
Heavy Rain
XCom:Enemy Unknown
Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#24glassghost0Posted 9/19/2013 10:13:49 AM(edited)
-Assassin's Creed
-Batman Arkham Asylum
-BioShock
-Call of Duty 4
-Oblivion
-Fallout 3
-Gears of War
-Left 4 Dead
-Mass Effect
-Portal
-Rock Band
-MGS4
-The Last of Us

Edit: How could I forget about The Walking Dead and Minecraft
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#25EvilCactusPosted 9/19/2013 10:12:25 AM
Call of Duty 4 - standardized multiplayer progression, cinematic linear storytelling
Gears of War - popularized cover system, established online multiplayer on 360
Bioshock - mature themes in gaming, morality, deconstruction of game tropes
Portal - dark humor, storytelling by level design
Braid - pushed artistic indie games into mainstream
Fallout: New Vegas - nonlinear story progression in sandbox world
Mass Effect - combining elements from RPGs and action games, popularized voiced dialogue choices
XCOM Enemy Unknown - revived turn-based strategy
The Walking Dead - awareness of adventure genre, episodic format
Mark of the Ninja - reconstruction of stealth genre
---
sig here
#26GawdDawgsPosted 9/19/2013 12:44:27 PM
I love how most of the replies in this topic are simply "games you thought were awesome" and not at all what the TC is asking.

Darksiders? Deadly Premonition? Seriously?

When i think of this question, I think of genre defining games that everyone else tries to copy by banking on that originals success. Games like Zelda, GTA 3, and Halo.

In my opinion, some examples from this gen, whether I like them or not, are COD 4, Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War, Uncharted, Mass Effect, and Bioshock.
---
It does not matter where we go. It is not the destination that matters...it is the journey.
#27OverburdenedPosted 9/19/2013 1:21:49 PM
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
Overburdened posted...
Skate series. Opened up a whole new world of skateboarding games, controls were unique, made you appreciate each trick you were doing (especially the 3rd game with its hardcore mode). Give us Skate 4 now!.

Call of duty 4. After owning an original xbox and playing ghost recon 2 (awesome game by the way) my brother got a 360 and this game, I was amazed at how good it was.

Rockstar in general, each title they release is so well polished.

lol

lol

lol

I see you laughing out loud. Yet everyone else's posts are the same as mine pretty much.

Rofl hahaha lol.
---
Obliteration never felt so divine._
Crappy spelling due to my iPod.
#28o5pr3y(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 6:28:56 PM
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
Overburdened posted...

lol

lol

lol

What games do you feel actually affected the industry then?

Like I said in my post, as much as I dislike the Call of Duty series, it's undeniable that it had a tremendous impact on the industry.
---
GT: Samikaze707
#29MR_SorenPosted 9/19/2013 6:59:27 PM
Net Shark posted...
Blizzard proved with D3 they can make an awesome console game. Hope this is just the beginning for Bliz in the console biz. :)

Lost Vikings, Rock N Roll Racing, Blackthorne... They proved their ability to make great console games a long time ago.

Topic:

Catherine - If nothing else, it proved that there was demand for games featuring stories/themes beyond the typical action hero fare.

Dark Souls - Demonstrated that classic game design principles can be melded with modern technology and a 3D environment.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Proved that there is still demand for a well-produced tactics game.

Akai Katana - The first release for the North American branch of Rising Star Games. Unfortunately, despite the quality of the arcade port, console-exclusive modes, packaging, and localization, the game sold very poorly. If this game was successful, it could have led the way for a lot of niche, and often exclusive, Japanese games to reach North America.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#30davepescPosted 9/19/2013 7:30:04 PM
oasisbeyond posted...
You're kidding, right? Compared to the other top games this gen... TR is pretty gory. It was inspired by the Descent.

That's what I was thinking during the scenes in the underground, where they "break" the new recruits.
---
"**** you'll thats all you mofos know how to do iss pick on people cause there typeing **** this site" DarkAssAssIn051