This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Physical vs. Digital

#31shawnmckPosted 9/23/2013 9:48:49 PM
I just wanted to comment that as long as the option for both digital & physical are present, then I'm happy.
Problem is that way too many pro-digital people want it forced onto the rest of us, and that is gonna be met with severe resistance because more than half the populations DOESN'T want it.

Leave it as an option, and let people decide which one to buy.
Microsoft tried to force it, and it bit them on the ass.
#32shawnmckPosted 9/23/2013 9:58:09 PM(edited)
And those of you who think that you can keep a digital copy as a viable option for just as long as a physical copy...yeah, good luck with that.
Data becomes corrupted, devices fail, servers get shut down, digital data gets revoked by Publisher, and etc. Then you are SoL.
Whereas if my NES, PS1, Xbox, Gamecube, etc, etc fail...I just go onto ebay and get another of the countless used consoles and I am back in business.
But you try it the digital way, and see how that works out for you.

Not to mention that I can give away or let others borrow my games and consoles to whomever I want, or even re-sell them on ebay myself to some other gamer that wants to get it for the first time or replace a lost or broken copy.
CAN'T do that with digital.
#33ShuraYukihimePosted 9/23/2013 9:57:45 PM
shawnmck posted...
I just wanted to comment that as long as the option for both digital & physical are present, then I'm happy.
Problem is that way too many pro-digital people want it forced onto the rest of us, and that is gonna be met with severe resistance because more than half the populations DOESN'T want it.

Leave it as an option, and let people decide which one to buy.
Microsoft tried to force it, and it bit them on the ass.

I want both as an option. I just don't want one to "hold back" the other.
---
I'm searching the city for sci fi wasabi.
#34shawnmckPosted 9/23/2013 10:16:21 PM(edited)
ShuraYukihime posted...

^ How is one "holding the other back" ?
Oh wait, it ISN'T.

That is just BS rhetoric used by the pro-digital crowd to force digital down everyone;'s throat by acting like physical is somehow bullying digital, when it ISN'T.
The only thing holding back digital are the crappy phone-lines, caps on down-loads, and the greedy companies that want to nickel and dime the consumer. (oh yeah, and the people who DON'T want it in the first place)
But it ain't physical media.

And let's look at how digital was affected by the blow-back from angry consumers who didn't want digital forced onto them by Microsoft...
The Xbone was going to force digital...there was so much public outrage that MS had to change it.
Does that mean that you can't buy any & all games digital if you wanted to ?
No, it just means that there are now TWO options.
So I fail to see how one is preventing the other or "holding it back."

If you want digital, there is NOTHING preventing you from getting it.
Physical media CAN'T prevent anyone from buying digital, nor can it hold it back.
STOP spreading lies and propaganda nonsense.

It is exactly I I said...there are pro-digital people who want to force digital down everyone's throat.
They see physical media "holding back" digital in the sense that if people are gonna be able to buy physical, then they will do so...which means fewer digital sales...which is a very convoluted way of thinking, but that's how some in the digital movement think.
They want to eliminate physical as a viable means of buying games in order to prop up digital.
And the only way they can accomplish this is by trashing physical and forcing digital whether people want it or not.

Just keep it optional.
WTF is the problem ?
#35ShuraYukihimePosted 9/23/2013 10:29:42 PM
shawnmck posted...
ShuraYukihime posted...

^ How is one "holding the other back" ?
Oh wait, it ISN'T.

That is just BS rhetoric used by the pro-digital crowd to force digital down everyone;'s throat by acting like physical is somehow bullying digital, when it ISN'T.
The only thing holding back digital are the crappy phone-lines, caps on down-loads, and the greedy companies that want to nickel and dime the consumer. (oh yeah, and the people who DON'T want it in the first place)
But it ain't physical media.

And let's look at how digital was affected by the blow-back from angry consumers who didn't want digital forced onto them by Microsoft...
The Xbone was going to force digital...there was so much public outrage that MS had to change it.
Does that mean that you can't buy any & all games digital if you wanted to ?
No, it just means that there are now TWO options.
So I fail to see how one is preventing the other or "holding it back."

If you want digital, there is NOTHING preventing you from getting it.
Physical media CAN'T prevent anyone from buying digital, nor can it hold it back.
STOP spreading lies and propaganda nonsense.

It is exactly I I said...there are pro-digital people who want to force digital down everyone's throat.
They see physical media "holding back" digital in the sense that if people are gonna be able to buy physical, then they will do so...which means fewer digital sales...which is a very convoluted way of thinking, but that's how some in the digital movement think.
They want to eliminate physical as a viable means of buying games in order to prop up digital.
And the only way they can accomplish this is by trashing physical and forcing digital whether people want it or not.

Just keep it optional.
WTF is the problem ?

No I feel the anti-digital people are holding back digital. I never said one was holding the other back. I said I didn't want one to hold the other back.

XB1 was taking steps towards making their service more like Steam. Which would have been a good thing in many ways. People lost their minds and now none of those steps are being taken.

I'm not trashing physical. I'm not forcing digital. Sorry if you can't see that.
---
#36TheBlueStigPosted 9/23/2013 10:49:46 PM
ShuraYukihime posted...
No I feel the anti-digital people are holding back digital. I never said one was holding the other back. I said I didn't want one to hold the other back.

XB1 was taking steps towards making their service more like Steam. Which would have been a good thing in many ways. People lost their minds and now none of those steps are being taken.

I'm not trashing physical. I'm not forcing digital. Sorry if you can't see that.

Contradiction Much?

You claim you're not forcing digital, but also claim that anti-digital people are holding digital back, so you really do want it forced on those who don't want it.

And you need to do some research on what MS wanted for the X-Bone

1. No used games without ridonkulous restrictions and forced full price double payments.

2. Kinect 2.0 always on and always watching and listening and could never be turned off (the system originally wouldn't start without it).

3. The ability to restrict content based on the number of people in the room at the time because Kinect 2.0 was watching and using facial recognition on everyone in the room.

4. Germany's Federal Data Protection Commissioner called the X-Bone a "monitoring device" and wasn't going to let it in the country if they kept everything intact.

Here's a clue for you, Steam can still add hardcopy games to it's list, even if they're used, but Microsoft wanted to kill off the Used market, so it wasn't trying to be like Steam at all.

The people who DON'T want digital forced on them want it kept as an OPTION, but people like you don't want hardcopies anymore because you think people who like them are trying to hold digital back, but you're delusional.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#37ShuraYukihimePosted 9/23/2013 10:59:36 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
ShuraYukihime posted...

Contradiction Much?

You claim you're not forcing digital, but also claim that anti-digital people are holding digital back, so you really do want it forced on those who don't want it.

And you need to do some research on what MS wanted for the X-Bone

1. No used games without ridonkulous restrictions and forced full price double payments.

2. Kinect 2.0 always on and always watching and listening and could never be turned off (the system originally wouldn't start without it).

3. The ability to restrict content based on the number of people in the room at the time because Kinect 2.0 was watching and using facial recognition on everyone in the room.

4. Germany's Federal Data Protection Commissioner called the X-Bone a "monitoring device" and wasn't going to let it in the country if they kept everything intact.

Here's a clue for you, Steam can still add hardcopy games to it's list, even if they're used, but Microsoft wanted to kill off the Used market, so it wasn't trying to be like Steam at all.

The people who DON'T want digital forced on them want it kept as an OPTION, but people like you don't want hardcopies anymore because you think people who like them are trying to hold digital back, but you're delusional.

You continue to cherry pick your "arguments".

The XB1 would have allowed physical discs. They could also be installed and would no longer need the disc.
---
#38HMXTaylor_LeePosted 9/23/2013 11:24:22 PM
Physical.

The MWR does not allow us to use our own Xbox's (but we can use Hard Drives, go figure) in their facilities, so I can't play Borderlands 2 that I downloaded with a friend.

I hate DRM and it's dependence on internet connectivity.
#39TheBlueStigPosted 9/23/2013 11:24:47 PM
ShuraYukihime posted...

The XB1 would have allowed physical discs. They could also be installed and would no longer need the disc.

Not without paying FULL RETAIL PRICE to add the used game to a second account.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#40ShuraYukihimePosted 9/23/2013 11:26:16 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
ShuraYukihime posted...

Not without paying FULL RETAIL PRICE to add the used game to a second account.

Ignoring the ability to share your library with a group.

Does Steam allow you to add used physical discs?
---