This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I bother with Bioshock 2?

#1fiasco86Posted 9/24/2013 10:47:07 AM
I finally got around to playing Bioshock about a year ago. I've had this game in my backlog ever since (I already own it), but now I'm wondering if I should just forget about it. I liked Bioshock, but when I finished it I was ready to be done with it, and I'm not super excited about the prospect of another game that's essentially the same thing but without excellent narrative (from what I've heard). Bioshock's gameplay was rather weak, and the only thing that really kept me going was the atmosphere and narrative. I think I've had my fill of that already, so am I right in thinking I should skip Bioshock 2?

Additionally, I'm a completionist, so by starting it there would be a constant pull to play all the way through and earn all the achievements, which also would introduce the annoyance of DLC achievements that I either have to pay more to get, or accept the incomplete game on my record.
---
Game Conquerors Top 100 Games of All Time
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBdvbVOHRybalW-7GExzgqbbBf1bGVV3L
#2simonbelmont2Posted 9/24/2013 10:56:28 AM
It sounds like you might get bored with Bioshock 2, you should probably skip it.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#3pothocketPosted 9/24/2013 11:04:41 AM
For what it's worth, Bioshock 2 has the weakest narrative but strongest gameplay of the 3 bio games.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#4JamanjaxPosted 9/24/2013 11:05:40 AM
And for so many complaints about the narrative, it's pretty damn good.
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#5simonbelmont2Posted 9/24/2013 11:08:54 AM
Yeah, personally I felt the gameplay in Bioshock 2 was the best in the series and the story is alright.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#6Arucard05Posted 9/24/2013 11:11:37 AM
Sounds like you should skip it.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Now celebrating one year of irrelevance.
#7fiasco86(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 11:11:45 AM
Hmm...maybe I'll just hang onto it then and see if someday I get the urge.
---
Game Conquerors Top 100 Games of All Time
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBdvbVOHRybalW-7GExzgqbbBf1bGVV3L
#8Dark_SpiretPosted 9/24/2013 11:24:45 AM
2's combat is much better and while its narrative isnt as strong, i felt its pacing was better. By 2/3rds in the first game i kinda just wanted it to be over since the narrative basically blew its load by the half way point and it felt like the rest was just filler. 2 basically does the opposite. it shows an overly familiar settings, but by the last third of the game it just ratchets up the situations, story and pacing to imo a much better ending. I also felt the father-daughter aspect to be much more touching even if it doesnt have that OMGWTF moment (for the most part).

2 is still my favorite in the series.
---
Currently playing: Shadow Warrior Redux - Parasite Eve 2
#9thecougPosted 9/24/2013 11:33:27 AM
fiasco86 posted...
I finally got around to playing Bioshock about a year ago. I've had this game in my backlog ever since (I already own it), but now I'm wondering if I should just forget about it. I liked Bioshock, but when I finished it I was ready to be done with it, and I'm not super excited about the prospect of another game that's essentially the same thing but without excellent narrative (from what I've heard). Bioshock's gameplay was rather weak, and the only thing that really kept me going was the atmosphere and narrative. I think I've had my fill of that already, so am I right in thinking I should skip Bioshock 2?

Additionally, I'm a completionist, so by starting it there would be a constant pull to play all the way through and earn all the achievements, which also would introduce the annoyance of DLC achievements that I either have to pay more to get, or accept the incomplete game on my record.

I'm in the exact same boat. I bought the Ultimate Rapture Edition that came with BS 1 & 2 and I don't think I could see myself playing through the second one.
---
The Coug abides.
XBL Gamertag: TheC0ug | Currently Playing: BioShock, State of Decay
#10GawdDawgsPosted 9/24/2013 11:48:05 AM
it sat in my backlog for awhile, but I thoroughly enjoyed it when I finally got to it. The game gets a completely unjust bad rep on this board because everyone puts the first game on such a high pedestal, and for that I consider 2 an underrated gem. I think it's absolutely worth playing, but if you got bored with the first, either wait or give it a pass.
---
It does not matter where we go. It is not the destination that matters...it is the journey.