This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Torchlight 1/2 vs. Diablo 3

#11Dragon NexusPosted 10/8/2013 5:51:56 PM
foodeater4 posted...
Diablo 3 on console at the moment is best.

Once the auction house goes away on the PC version, then it wins on all platforms.

People seem to misunderstand the AH.
On its own it's a good idea. the problem came from the in-game drops being lowered to push people into the AH. That's not the AH's fault, that's the fault of the fools programming lousy drops. I don't see how removing the AH helps that, they still need to impliment the Loot 2.0 system, and I don't see why we can't have better loot *and* an auction house.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#12jay2101Posted 10/8/2013 5:57:06 PM
Torchlight 2 held my attention more than Diablo 3

But i like using a mouse and keyboard
#13infinitexxPosted 10/8/2013 6:06:57 PM
darkhare posted...
dungeon crawl hybrid, as the evolution of a dungeon crawl is tower defense.

What.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.
#14DieMyBridePosted 10/8/2013 6:16:44 PM
If your computer can run Torchlight 2, then get that. Otherwise get Diablo 3 on console.
#15shawnmckPosted 10/8/2013 7:53:47 PM(edited)
Dragon Nexus posted...
foodeater4 posted...
Diablo 3 on console at the moment is best.

Once the auction house goes away on the PC version, then it wins on all platforms.

People seem to misunderstand the AH.
On its own it's a good idea. the problem came from the in-game drops being lowered to push people into the AH. That's not the AH's fault, that's the fault of the fools programming lousy drops. I don't see how removing the AH helps that, they still need to impliment the Loot 2.0 system, and I don't see why we can't have better loot *and* an auction house.

^ The console version of Diablo 3 has an improved loot system over the PC version.

And yes, the AH was a terrible idea, because it encouraged the Developer & Publisher to get greedy. Not to mention the entire skill system (or lack thereof) was built around the idea of the AH, as it changed the nature of the loot (armor & weapons) that are completely different than that of previous Diablo games. The whole concept was to make everything focused around weapons & armor, which can be sold for real cash money, of which the Developer & Publisher gets a cut off of every sale.

People complain about the game design and skill system for a reason...and it's because they were developed around the idea of the AH.
Not to mention that a vast majority of Diablo 3's PC fanbase agree that the AH was a piss-poor idea.
If it wasn't, then why are they getting rid of it ?
Heck, even the Developer themselves (Blizzard) finally came out and said that it was a mistake, which is why they are phasing it out. Problem is that it won't solve the problem completely because the entire game was designed around the concept of using the AH.
It was a scam from the get-go.

Any time you try to implement a monetary system into a game, then it changes the way the game plays & functions.
Just look at Dead Space 3...EA wanted the Developer to change things so that they could justify a weapon crafting system so that the player could use real money to buy materials & weapon parts...how did that work out..?
Now imagine if they released a version of the game that took it out and allowed you to find all the parts in the environment and among corpses more...it would end up being more enjoyable.
Except that some of the design will still be different as a result and can't be changed. Thus the game will still have issues.

Diablo 3 is still a good game, but there is a reason why the vast majority consider it a mere shadow of it's former self...and it all stems from the implementation & concept of the AH.
The only reason why it is even worth getting for consoles is because there isn't really much else like it on consoles.

Blizzard & Activision pretty much squandered a lot of the love that fans have for the series...the next Diablo game will NOT be a stellar seller because of it.
Same thing with EA & Dead Space.
You start pissing off the fan base and they (we) are not so easy to forgive & forget.
#16JackBurton85Posted 10/8/2013 7:50:47 PM
I hate the graphicaly style/look of torchlight. Diablo 3 isn't perfect in that regard either, but it still feels more dark, monsters look far cooler and meaner.
#17TenzhiPosted 10/8/2013 9:44:12 PM
Has Torchlight 2 come out on the 360? If not, I'd say Diablo 3 is the best option of those three games. The first Torchlight may have been a contender with co-op, so I imagine its sequel would be great were it conveniently on the console and controlled with a handy-dandy controller rather than ye olde cumbersome mouse and keyboard.

darkhare posted...
dungeon crawl hybrid, as the evolution of a dungeon crawl is tower defense.

No. At best, analogically speaking, tower defense is the flip-side of a dungeon crawl.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#18lostnumberwarPosted 10/8/2013 10:10:28 PM(edited)
A full game would definitely be better than only 1/2 of a game.
---
These are words, please enjoy them.