This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Weird e-mail from MS regarding my account security info

#1SlimeSwayzePosted 10/7/2013 8:29:11 PM
I just got an e-mail from MS that said the following:

Microsoft account
Security info confirmation
It looks like you added some security info to your Microsoft account:
Phone number: (xxx) xxx-xxxx
You can use this info to reset your password if you forget it.

It then gave me the option to cancel or confirm the new number. The thing is, it's a number I've never seen in my life. I can only imagine that the number could have been added to my account by someone who has somehow hacked into it. Has this happened to anyone else?
---
Currently Playing: Backlog mania
#2lastrockerPosted 10/7/2013 8:31:00 PM
dont click any links in the email and enter any info. it sounds like it could be someone trying to phish you.
#3SlimeSwayze(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 8:39:17 PM
lastrocker posted...
dont click any links in the email and enter any info. it sounds like it could be someone trying to phish you.

I thought of that, but I'm almost 100% positive it came from MS. It's the exact same e-mail I got from MS when I actually did change my info a few months ago. I decided to hit the "click here to cancel" option and it took me right into my actual account. I'm just worried about how someone got in there in the first place...
---
#4TheBlueStigPosted 10/7/2013 8:44:26 PM
SlimeSwayze posted...
lastrocker posted...

I thought of that, but I'm almost 100% positive it came from MS. It's the exact same e-mail I got from MS when I actually did change my info a few months ago. I decided to hit the "click here to cancel" option and it took me right into my actual account. I'm just worried about how someone got in there in the first place...

It doesn't matter what it looks like, don't click any links and don't enter any information, because there's a dozen ways to make a page look like something when it's not.

Exit out of the email and go directly to your profile on xbox.com and change your password and security proofs.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#5DoukouPosted 10/7/2013 8:45:39 PM
You need to get a better phone number then XXX-xxx-xxxx
---
Don't read this sig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18EvifsO8VA
#6Gunvalkyrie2Posted 10/7/2013 8:45:40 PM
ive been getting this too..
---
This is a message board to express opinions, idiot.
#7Gunvalkyrie2Posted 10/7/2013 8:46:33 PM
in my case they keep trying to get me to add additional security measures
---
This is a message board to express opinions, idiot.
#8SlimeSwayze(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 8:58:29 PM
Wow. Nevermind. It definitely came from MS, but it took me a while to realize it was my girlfriend's phone number. I guess she had to input her number to access Hulu or some other video service on my 360. I'm not sure why she had to do that, but oh well. Mystery solved and lesson learned. In an era where you just click on someone's name in your phone to call them, it is still beneficial to know their actual number!
---
#9darkharePosted 10/8/2013 10:49:24 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
lastrocker posted...

go right ahead and give your info away, maybe you'll learn a lesson cause ppl telling you not to do it sure the hell isnt convincing you.

---
The future of Console Gaming, are the gamers. vote with your $!
#10SlimeSwayze(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 11:00:29 AM
darkhare posted...
SlimeSwayze posted...
lastrocker posted...

go right ahead and give your info away, maybe you'll learn a lesson cause ppl telling you not to do it sure the hell isnt convincing you.

I appreciate your concern, but like I said in my prior post, the e-mail came directly from MS. I got the e-mail because my gf added her number to my account. Not everything is a scam, my man.
---