This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you feel about the growing open world trend in gaming

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. How do you feel about the growing open world trend in gaming
2 years ago#1
I personally don't like it, for the most part it's just a way to feign replay value.

When done well it can be really great, but I still find that a strong linear experience is better than a free flowing open world. The only games I've played that truly EMBRACE the open world experience are Bethseda games like Fallout 3 and Skyrim, they actually take full advantage of the open world with interesting side quests that don't feel extraneous. I think those are great, but for the most part I'm hoping this fad slowly dies away and only the best open world developers keep it going.
---
"I wanted to buy a candle holder but the store didn't have one, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC
2 years ago#2
I don't really care much for them anymore. I just don't have as much time as I used to and I find most open world games to be drawn out and the storylines suffer because of it. A few months ago I tried to get back into Skyrim and got bored surprisingly fast.
---
Before you comment on one of my posts, please research the Dunning-Kruger effect. Best game of all time: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Gamefaqs mods are a joke.
2 years ago#3
I don't think its a trend, its just something game designers have always wanted to do, but couldn't in earlier game generations due to the hardware limitations.

Overall though TC, I do find most single player open world games boring. The only ones I really sunk a lot of hours into was Fallout 3 and FONV. Exploring a futuristic world kinda based on the real world was a lot more interesting to me then exploring a make believe place like Skyrim.

Bottom line is, I know what I like, and I know I don't like single player open word games very much. I enjoy a game with a more focused story like a Mass Effect or Dragon Age or Deus Ex: HR.

That being said I do try and keep an open mind and if something comes out that looks really interesting I wll definatly at least give it a rental and see if it leads to a purchase.

But besides the above mentioned Fallout games, I did not any open world games this gen that I have tried and I tried a lot of them.
2 years ago#4
I don't see the big deal...
If you don't like it, then DON'T buy them.
Seriously, what is the problem ?

It's not like they are preventing other types of games from being made.
There are still plenty of FPS, TPS, RPG, etc, etc.
One extra open-world sandbox game does not equate to fewer games of other types.
2 years ago#5
shawnmck posted...
I don't see the big deal...
If you don't like it, then DON'T buy them.
Seriously, what is the problem ?

It's not like they are preventing other types of games from being made.
There are still plenty of FPS, TPS, RPG, etc, etc.
One extra open-world sandbox game does not equate to fewer games of other types.

Because open world transcends genre restrictions, Far Cry 3, open world FPS. GTA V, open world TPS. I loved the GTA V story but a good half the time, if I wanted to get to a mission I would just call a cab because I find little joy in constantly traversing the open world.
---
"I wanted to buy a candle holder but the store didn't have one, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC
2 years ago#6
Just Cause 2 is an example of a good open world. Because the nuts and bolts gameplay is fantastic. Most games miss this key point. Open world isnt a license to skimp on gameplay - its the opposite - without structure the games dead unless getting from A - B is fun in and of itself.
2 years ago#7
I hate it. They hardly ever live up to any of the series they attempt to emulate (any R* series, or Saint's Row for example).

I don't have nearly as much time for open world games nowadays, so I'd prefer devs create more focused experiences, and leave non-linear affairs to those who have been doing them, and doing them well.
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
2 years ago#8
namewitheld posted...
Just Cause 2 is an example of a good open world. Because the nuts and bolts gameplay is fantastic. Most games miss this key point. Open world isnt a license to skimp on gameplay - its the opposite - without structure the games dead unless getting from A - B is fun in and of itself.

Exactly, an open world is just a chore if the traversal isn't enjoyable.
---
- GT Skillz MC
2 years ago#9
Dislike overall. There is usually excessive walking that dilutes the gameplay. They also feel less focused and are sometimes more like playgrounds than games.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
Blog: http://www.red-grenade.com
2 years ago#10
I like open world games but they can suffer from needless padding.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. How do you feel about the growing open world trend in gaming

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived