This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you feel about the growing open world trend in gaming

#1SkilzMCPosted 10/8/2013 1:01:51 PM
I personally don't like it, for the most part it's just a way to feign replay value.

When done well it can be really great, but I still find that a strong linear experience is better than a free flowing open world. The only games I've played that truly EMBRACE the open world experience are Bethseda games like Fallout 3 and Skyrim, they actually take full advantage of the open world with interesting side quests that don't feel extraneous. I think those are great, but for the most part I'm hoping this fad slowly dies away and only the best open world developers keep it going.
---
"I wanted to buy a candle holder but the store didn't have one, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC
#2AWarAmp84Posted 10/8/2013 1:12:53 PM
I don't really care much for them anymore. I just don't have as much time as I used to and I find most open world games to be drawn out and the storylines suffer because of it. A few months ago I tried to get back into Skyrim and got bored surprisingly fast.
---
Before you comment on one of my posts, please research the Dunning-Kruger effect. Best game of all time: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Gamefaqs mods are a joke.
#3foodeater4Posted 10/8/2013 1:15:11 PM(edited)
I don't think its a trend, its just something game designers have always wanted to do, but couldn't in earlier game generations due to the hardware limitations.

Overall though TC, I do find most single player open world games boring. The only ones I really sunk a lot of hours into was Fallout 3 and FONV. Exploring a futuristic world kinda based on the real world was a lot more interesting to me then exploring a make believe place like Skyrim.

Bottom line is, I know what I like, and I know I don't like single player open word games very much. I enjoy a game with a more focused story like a Mass Effect or Dragon Age or Deus Ex: HR.

That being said I do try and keep an open mind and if something comes out that looks really interesting I wll definatly at least give it a rental and see if it leads to a purchase.

But besides the above mentioned Fallout games, I did not any open world games this gen that I have tried and I tried a lot of them.
#4shawnmckPosted 10/8/2013 1:23:08 PM(edited)
I don't see the big deal...
If you don't like it, then DON'T buy them.
Seriously, what is the problem ?

It's not like they are preventing other types of games from being made.
There are still plenty of FPS, TPS, RPG, etc, etc.
One extra open-world sandbox game does not equate to fewer games of other types.
#5SkilzMC(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 1:33:06 PM
shawnmck posted...
I don't see the big deal...
If you don't like it, then DON'T buy them.
Seriously, what is the problem ?

It's not like they are preventing other types of games from being made.
There are still plenty of FPS, TPS, RPG, etc, etc.
One extra open-world sandbox game does not equate to fewer games of other types.

Because open world transcends genre restrictions, Far Cry 3, open world FPS. GTA V, open world TPS. I loved the GTA V story but a good half the time, if I wanted to get to a mission I would just call a cab because I find little joy in constantly traversing the open world.
---
"I wanted to buy a candle holder but the store didn't have one, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC
#6namewitheldPosted 10/8/2013 1:36:17 PM
Just Cause 2 is an example of a good open world. Because the nuts and bolts gameplay is fantastic. Most games miss this key point. Open world isnt a license to skimp on gameplay - its the opposite - without structure the games dead unless getting from A - B is fun in and of itself.
#7JamanjaxPosted 10/8/2013 1:38:45 PM
I hate it. They hardly ever live up to any of the series they attempt to emulate (any R* series, or Saint's Row for example).

I don't have nearly as much time for open world games nowadays, so I'd prefer devs create more focused experiences, and leave non-linear affairs to those who have been doing them, and doing them well.
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#8SkilzMC(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 4:02:48 PM
namewitheld posted...
Just Cause 2 is an example of a good open world. Because the nuts and bolts gameplay is fantastic. Most games miss this key point. Open world isnt a license to skimp on gameplay - its the opposite - without structure the games dead unless getting from A - B is fun in and of itself.

Exactly, an open world is just a chore if the traversal isn't enjoyable.
---
- GT Skillz MC
#9MR_SorenPosted 10/9/2013 8:10:48 AM
Dislike overall. There is usually excessive walking that dilutes the gameplay. They also feel less focused and are sometimes more like playgrounds than games.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
Blog: http://www.red-grenade.com
#10simonbelmont2Posted 10/9/2013 8:14:15 AM
I like open world games but they can suffer from needless padding.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him