This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is really the difference between WRPGs and JRPGS?

#1xcvsfdPosted 10/8/2013 9:18:18 PM
I've never exactly understood why people usually differentiate them.
---
KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNN
#2WinternovaPosted 10/8/2013 9:37:15 PM
WRPGs (formerly known as Computer RPGs) usually have a larger amount of freedom in character creation and in the gameplay.

JRPGs (formerly known as Console RPGS) usually have pre-named characters, less freedom in character stat building, and a linear story.

WRPGs are closer to their pen-and-paper kin and JRPGs are the bastard cousin of the family that people sometimes invite over for dinner.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#3JirynPosted 10/8/2013 9:51:04 PM
Sort of like the person said above.
WRPGS = Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc etc.
Stuff based on pen and paper rpgs and the ilk.. made to make you become part of the world, with lots of exploration and stat building of your character. You're given much more freedom

JRPGS = Final Fantasy, Dragon QUest, etc
More rigid and combat is usually turn based. The story is a strict linear path with very little side quests and exploration but there is some, and other things to do. Your characters and classes are pre-made for you and you have almost no say in how they develope.. just if you use them in your party or not.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#4wolfwingPosted 10/8/2013 9:54:22 PM
It's been changing, but as said above, though to give my own concise feeling.

WRPG were always about charecter development, creating a unique charecter, the story is secondary or not really there. Sure there is some, but it's more about the journey and such.

JRPG's while have some games with limited charecter development tend to focus more on story and creating a narrative.

I like both styles because they have good points and bad, some times I like a game witha cohesive story, other times I just like making a random charecter like in Fallout or Elderscrolls and creating my own story.
---
Currently playing GW2/Asura's Wrath/Dragon Age: Origins/Monster Hunter ultimate.
#5JirynPosted 10/8/2013 9:56:23 PM
wolfwing posted...

WRPG were always about charecter development, creating a unique charecter, the story is secondary or not really there. Sure there is some, but it's more about the journey and such.

JRPG's while have some games with limited charecter development tend to focus more on story and creating a narrative.

I like both styles because they have good points and bad, some times I like a game witha cohesive story, other times I just like making a random charecter like in Fallout or Elderscrolls and creating my own story.

I guess
JRPGS = The Story
WRPGS = The Journey
=)
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#6wolfwingPosted 10/8/2013 10:02:55 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
wolfwing posted...

I guess
JRPGS = The Story
WRPGS = The Journey
=)

I thought that, but there is alot of JRPG's that have good stories along the way...but I guess works :>
---
Currently playing GW2/Asura's Wrath/Dragon Age: Origins/Monster Hunter ultimate.
#7JirynPosted 10/8/2013 10:21:58 PM
wolfwing posted...
Marblesbunbun posted...
wolfwing posted...

I guess
JRPGS = The Story
WRPGS = The Journey
=)

I thought that, but there is alot of JRPG's that have good stories along the way...but I guess works :>

True but it's the primary plot that drives it while WRPGS are more about the subplots and side quests.
---
#8grimmdaddyPosted 10/9/2013 3:03:21 AM
what are the rpg's called were you have to win in a certain amount of turns? I HATE those
#9hijokaidenPosted 10/9/2013 3:13:46 AM
WRPG = Role Playing Game

JRPG = Interactive Anime
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#10The_RaterPosted 10/9/2013 4:27:33 AM
JRPG's have better stats system and mechanics + plus a light hearted story.
WRPG's have better choices that opens up to more replay value instead of grinding for hours on + more mature story.

Kinda weaker on the WRPG side since I haven't played much compared to JRPGs, but that's my observation so far.