This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Driving in GTA 4, why is it so bad?

#61aj4x94Posted 10/17/2013 1:24:42 PM
It's the entire reason I took taxis whenever I could. The worst part is that the cars didn't even feel realistic when driving them.
---
Playing: Hotline Miami, System Shock 2, GTA V, Siren Blood Curse, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus, Splinter Cell Blacklist
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94
#62namewitheldPosted 10/17/2013 1:47:41 PM(edited)
TheBlueStig posted...

No, I didn't, I said SIM RACING GAME, of which there are many on the PC that get the physics FAR more accurate than GTA did. There's even a handling mod for the PC version of GTA-4 that FIXES all the handling issues.

When the makers of the god damned game say that the cars handle like a boat, it's time for all the fanboys to shut the f*** up.

No sim has come close to accurately portraying car physics. The number crunching involved for such things is insane. The best anyone can do is give a realistic ' feel ' something GTA IV does well.

R* are VERY good at making the customer feel special ( needs ). Do you think they thought cars handles like boats* ? Or that their community managers told them that was what people thought?

Ill say it again - instead of adapting people piss-moaned untill they got what they wanted - child friendly driving physics. Fine w/e you people suck at things that require a modicum of thought but dont bloody pretend the driving physics were inherently ' flawed '.

* Da **** does that even MEAN?
#63thekozmicpigPosted 10/17/2013 4:25:37 PM
aj4x94 posted...
It's the entire reason I took taxis whenever I could. The worst part is that the cars didn't even feel realistic when driving them.

I will say this though, they feel like a weirdly accurate exaggeration.

I know that say, the Cadillac Fleetwood (Emperor) isn't that floaty and wallowy, but dammit, you kinda imagine it would drive that way. You'd imagine a muscle car to spin out all the time, and it does. Supercars? Crazy grip. Buses and large trucks? Impossible to turn and stop.

GTA4 captures the whole "This is what you think how cars would drive". Is it realistic? No. Never. No way. But dammit, when I saw the Cavelcade, it handled EXACTLY how I expected it too.

Is it good? Honestly, probably not. But I got used to it after a while and didn't hate it.
---
Feels like the depths of hell were unleashed upon my ass. - nivlac_rebuats
#64Dragon NexusPosted 10/17/2013 4:48:43 PM
Arucard05 posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
Well it's possible for something to be bad and enjoyable...

But bad is a judgement call in the first place. It's possible to think it's bad but still enjoy it, but not for it to be bad and still enjoy it.

Eh, I disagree with that.
I have played a few games I can agree are actually bad but nontheless I still gained some amount of enjoyment from them.
Surely if what you say is true, the opposite must also be true. That if you think a game's good you can dislike it but if a game *is* good, you can't not enjoy it.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#65squidney2k1Posted 10/17/2013 5:04:20 PM
1. Find a secluded 4-lane intersection.
2. Turn left at 25 mph from center/left turn lane.
3. Report your findings here.

*pro-tip: You are wrong, and everyone from auto-makers, to physics majors, to national transportation & safety board, to CalTrans will happily tell you why.

Seriously, most gamers have absolutely no clue as to what equates to "realistic" driving physics.
---
Xbox One games looked more impressive...but I wish they were on the PS4. **** you Microsoft! \m/ (O_o) \m/
#66CKnightPosted 10/17/2013 6:44:07 PM
thekozmicpig posted...
aj4x94 posted...

I will say this though, they feel like a weirdly accurate exaggeration.

I know that say, the Cadillac Fleetwood (Emperor) isn't that floaty and wallowy, but dammit, you kinda imagine it would drive that way. You'd imagine a muscle car to spin out all the time, and it does. Supercars? Crazy grip. Buses and large trucks? Impossible to turn and stop.

GTA4 captures the whole "This is what you think how cars would drive". Is it realistic? No. Never. No way. But dammit, when I saw the Cavelcade, it handled EXACTLY how I expected it too.

Is it good? Honestly, probably not. But I got used to it after a while and didn't hate it.

Well said. I would also add that most muscle cars today aren't as out of control on the back end as some games make them out to be. But when you hop inside a GTA4 muscle car(which if not mistaken are all based on old school) that back end swings out like you "think" it should.
#67TheBlueStigPosted 10/17/2013 7:06:41 PM
This whole line of "nobody knows what real car physics feels like" is 100% pure unadulterated BULLS*** ! ! !

It sounds like that line comes from little kids who've never driven a real car yet.

You could find the real life counterpart to damn near every car in every GTA game, and when you drive the real thing, there's no way in hell that the REAL cars have anywhere near as much body lean as their GTA counterpart, not even the damn SUV's.

So everybody who claims the driving in GTA-4 has any amount of realism to it, just stop, you're only making yourself look underaged and uneducated when it comes to real cars.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#68glassghost0Posted 10/17/2013 7:19:49 PM
The driving in 4 was fine, jesus christ people.

Move on to 5 and quit crying.

And people probably are/were bad at it. Learn to drive the cars and you wouldn't have a problem. Same damn thing with flying in 4 and 5, never seen so many people say how hard it is to fly aircraft in 5 yet it's f****** easy.
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#69TheBlueStigPosted 10/17/2013 7:26:44 PM
glassghost0 posted...
The driving in 4 was fine, jesus christ people.

Move on to 5 and quit crying.

And people probably are/were bad at it. Learn to drive the cars and you wouldn't have a problem. Same damn thing with flying in 4 and 5, never seen so many people say how hard it is to fly aircraft in 5 yet it's f****** easy.

Flying in 4 was the same as 3, VC, SA, and both the GTA Stories games on PSP. It wasn't hard at all.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#70Arucard05Posted 10/17/2013 7:27:28 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Arucard05 posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
Well it's possible for something to be bad and enjoyable...

But bad is a judgement call in the first place. It's possible to think it's bad but still enjoy it, but not for it to be bad and still enjoy it.

Eh, I disagree with that.
I have played a few games I can agree are actually bad but nontheless I still gained some amount of enjoyment from them.
Surely if what you say is true, the opposite must also be true. That if you think a game's good you can dislike it but if a game *is* good, you can't not enjoy it.

My point was merely that no game is good or is bad, we can only think it is. And the same is true of the driving in GTA IV.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
It's better than bad.