This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone who doesn't usually like post apocolyptic games wnjoy fall out?

#1LightbornePosted 10/20/2013 6:19:05 PM
Hi all I'm looking for a western rpg to play, I enjoyed skyrim but the neutral to evil choices annoyed me. I thought about the witcher 2 but I guess that's another heavy morally grey line game with no good guy choices without crazy consequences.

My wife had kingdoms of amalur for a while, and I loved it at first but it got boring fast. Its just really shallow for an rpg after a while more flash then depth.

I did try my friends fallout 3 and I found the world intere sting and even though I love sci fi or fantasy it wasn't generic however I didn't play it long enough and I am concerned if I can play a good character and make a difference and if the game would be to depressing.

I loved bioshock 1 and 2 as rpgs and of course I enjoyed oblivion and skyrim and loved the me series as well as the da series.

So I guess my main question is would I enjoy the fallout series based on my likes? And is either of thr fallouts sci fi? Like weapons, perks and storyline?

Thanks all.

I feel limited with rpgs for console as I don't have a good pc.
#2GrimKusanagiPosted 10/20/2013 6:56:33 PM
Probably. Energy Weapons, Power Armor, Robots, Giant Robots, Mutants, Aliens, ect,.. It can be very scifi if thats how you want to play it. I prefer regular guns which can cut down on the scifi element some.

You will definitely want to start with Fallout 3 and get the Game of The Year Edition. It's dirt cheap and you get all of the DLC which your gonna want. In the Mothership Zeta DLC you actually get abducted by aliens.

Also if you want scifi rpgs I'll recommend Mass Effect(straight up scifi) and Star Ocean The Last Hope(a combo of Scifi and Fantasy).

Now people are gonna ***** about Star Ocean cause it's a Jrpg. Ignore them it's a good and solid rpg.
---
GT: GrimKusanagi / Current Playing: Dragon's Dogma
Pawn: Lashara / Mage
#3Hucast9Posted 10/20/2013 7:08:28 PM
I think that you may enjoy Fallout 3. My favorite thing about it is the random encounters where things happen unexpectedly. Definitely pick it up.
#4oasisbeyondPosted 10/20/2013 7:12:43 PM
Do you love losing yourself in games? Yes? Then it's for you. If you don't spend hours and hours playing it won't be your cup of tea. Awesome game, it's all about the crazy random things that make it great.
#50TiamaT0Posted 10/20/2013 8:28:23 PM
Fallout 3 was my favorite game of this gen. You could easily put over 100+ hours into it, and still not find everything on it's huge map...
---
Myths, Lies and complete stupidity barely scratch the surface of your ignorance.
#6vigorm0rtisPosted 10/20/2013 8:33:16 PM
Lightborne posted...
if I can play a good character and make a difference and if the game would be to depressing.

Yeah, you can play a good guy, and it's typically rewarded. You have a 'reputation' in the game depending on how you behave, and it influences how people react to you and in some cases, what missions you can take and who you can associate with.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF http://i.imgur.com/D9R0iaQ.gif
#7Lightborne(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 9:17:04 PM
Well which fallout should I get based off.my.tastes? There both the same price3 goty is 18 used and new Vegas ultimate edition is 18 and I love loosing myself.

Thanks for the encouragement all.
#8oasisbeyondPosted 10/20/2013 9:25:32 PM
3 was made by the better team. I played over 60 hours. Vegas, I fell a sleep on the first quest where I needed to find a flower or something and it was impossible to find as it was glitched. :)
#9DiscernPosted 10/20/2013 10:00:29 PM
3 plays better without as many glitches, but I prefer New Vegas' writing and story better. Also, I liked the Mojave more than the Capital Wastleand, but that's probably just me.

I will say I liked the music in 3 a bit better than NV though.
---
GT- Discern88
#10vigorm0rtisPosted 10/20/2013 10:53:04 PM
As posted above, NV has better writing but is glitchier. It also has a 'hardcore' mode, if that appeals to you. Personally, I preferred 3 to NV. I liked the old DC setting to the New Vegas setting.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF http://i.imgur.com/D9R0iaQ.gif