This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone who doesn't usually like post apocolyptic games wnjoy fall out?

#31gr8twhtePosted 10/21/2013 12:46:30 PM
GuideToTheDark posted...
Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns in a wasteland, and some interface improvements.

You should be in sales.

I'm about 270 hours in Oblivion and loving it! Looks like I'm off to Wally-World...
#32Lightborne(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 1:01:53 PM
NakedSnake1986 posted...
TC, if playing as good or evil that dramatically affects the story is important, then by all mean Fallout NV WINS BY A LONG SHOT. Not one thing you do bad nor good in Fallout 3 affects anything but a few lines of dialogue and certain characters who can be your sidekick. In New Vegas, EVERYTHING you do plays affect in how missions play out and what type of characters you will meet.

Fallout 3 has a better setting and vanilla story, New Vegas has a much improved first person shooter system (aim down sights) and much better DLC but the setting is boring and the strip is a HUGE LETDOWN.

I'd say get New Vegas first because Fallout 3 is better but the lack of Aim down Sights in Fallout 3 really hurts it from a gameplay standpoint as the free aim shooting is extremely clunky.

Thanks for the info but I'm not interested in forced morally grey to evil choices so no fallout nv for me. What most don't realize its how the story is told is what makes it good regardless of how vanilla of a perspective people will put on it.
#33Halo_ForeverPosted 10/21/2013 11:25:44 PM(edited)
Lightborne posted...
Hi all I'm looking for a western rpg to play, I enjoyed skyrim but the neutral to evil choices annoyed me. I thought about the witcher 2 but I guess that's another heavy morally grey line game with no good guy choices without crazy consequences.

I'd say skip the Witcher in that case, Geralt stays his hand about 100 times too many in those games and it is pretty damn annoying to play as a result if you have the inclinations that I think you have. It is the sort of thing I can accept in a novel, but which I find very frustrating in an RPG.

I did try my friends fallout 3 and I found the world intere sting and even though I love sci fi or fantasy it wasn't generic however I didn't play it long enough and I am concerned if I can play a good character and make a difference and if the game would be to depressing.

You can play a good character there, though you might have too stoop into Pay Evil Unto Evil at times (some of the people in the world went past redemption a long time ago). It might be tough at times, since the selfless hero approach in the Wastes can be rather costly (e.g. declining a reward will often lead to no reward being given). The world itself is pretty ****ed up but there are still good people there.

So I guess my main question is would I enjoy the fallout series based on my likes? And is either of thr fallouts sci fi? Like weapons, perks and storyline?

It is retro post-apocalyptic based on the visions people had in the 50s, e.g. atomic power is pretty much perfected, there are robots and such but e.g. general electronics are basic on vacuum tubes.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#34NovaLevossidaPosted 10/21/2013 11:28:25 PM
I don't typically enjoy that setting, but I made it through Fallout 3 and liked it. However, that was enough for me, and I haven't felt inclined to play New Vegas.
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL
#35Lightborne(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 12:47:18 AM
Halo_Forever posted...
Lightborne posted...
Hi all I'm looking for a western rpg to play, I enjoyed skyrim but the neutral to evil choices annoyed me. I thought about the witcher 2 but I guess that's another heavy morally grey line game with no good guy choices without crazy consequences.

I'd say skip the Witcher in that case, Geralt stays his hand about 100 times too many in those games and it is pretty damn annoying to play as a result if you have the inclinations that I think you have. It is the sort of thing I can accept in a novel, but which I find very frustrating in an RPG.

I did try my friends fallout 3 and I found the world intere sting and even though I love sci fi or fantasy it wasn't generic however I didn't play it long enough and I am concerned if I can play a good character and make a difference and if the game would be to depressing.

You can play a good character there, though you might have too stoop into Pay Evil Unto Evil at times (some of the people in the world went past redemption a long time ago). It might be tough at times, since the selfless hero approach in the Wastes can be rather costly (e.g. declining a reward will often lead to no reward being given). The world itself is pretty ****ed up but there are still good people there.

So I guess my main question is would I enjoy the fallout series based on my likes? And is either of thr fallouts sci fi? Like weapons, perks and storyline?

It is retro post-apocalyptic based on the visions people had in the 50s, e.g. atomic power is pretty much perfected, there are robots and such but e.g. general electronics are basic on vacuum tubes.

Thanks for the info, yea it doesnt look like theres much of a choice on consoles for my tastes.
#36omega1110Posted 10/22/2013 7:15:34 AM(edited)
Lightborne posted...

Ok I do have 3 questions about fallout 3, if I want to steal from jerks in the game how badly does it effect karma? Is there a a thieves guild and what are the most fun builds where I'm not forced to uee vats all the time?

Don't know about the first two questions, but as far not using VATS if you focus on a particular type of gun and get your stats up for it you can do well free aiming. Thats what I did when I played and I only had to use VATS when I was really outnumbered or facing enemies that were a bit strong compared to the level of my character.

You can actually play as a good guy and not just sorta evil versus super scumbag. From what I recall you can go either squeaky clean to foulest scum of the earth, not sure if there is a whole lot of middle ground. Only played thru one time so I can't comment on how much moral choices actually effect the outcome of anything.

I also second the recommendation on the Mass Effect Triology you can play a good character with variations in some case, a few times you get options that are being good and nice or being good but mean/hard edge at the some. The ending to 3 wasn't great but I think it got blown out of proportion.

Star Ocean, uhm I would say avoid, not because its a jrpg(I only recently got into western rpgs I came up on jrpgs ever since FF3 on SNES), but because I personally just don't think it is all that good. I actually love the Star Ocean series but I could not get into The Last Hope. I will say that it has a decent combat system, very different from most jrpgs..

---
" I thought you were going to fight alone; I
said come alone...I didn't say anything about me." G.O.B.
#37Lightborne(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 1:51:39 PM
omega1110 posted...
Lightborne posted...

Ok I do have 3 questions about fallout 3, if I want to steal from jerks in the game how badly does it effect karma? Is there a a thieves guild and what are the most fun builds where I'm not forced to uee vats all the time?

Don't know about the first two questions, but as far not using VATS if you focus on a particular type of gun and get your stats up for it you can do well free aiming. Thats what I did when I played and I only had to use VATS when I was really outnumbered or facing enemies that were a bit strong compared to the level of my character.

You can actually play as a good guy and not just sorta evil versus super scumbag. From what I recall you can go either squeaky clean to foulest scum of the earth, not sure if there is a whole lot of middle ground. Only played thru one time so I can't comment on how much moral choices actually effect the outcome of anything.

I also second the recommendation on the Mass Effect Triology you can play a good character with variations in some case, a few times you get options that are being good and nice or being good but mean/hard edge at the some. The ending to 3 wasn't great but I think it got blown out of proportion.

Star Ocean, uhm I would say avoid, not because its a jrpg(I only recently got into western rpgs I came up on jrpgs ever since FF3 on SNES), but because I personally just don't think it is all that good. I actually love the Star Ocean series but I could not get into The Last Hope. I will say that it has a decent combat system, very different from most jrpgs..

Ive actually played all 3 but I couldn't finish 3 it just was to different from my favorite which is the original and in my opinion its a true rpg compared to others. But I've been cosidering picking up the trilogy but I want al the dlc and wish they had ultimate editions for each.
#38BuyersRemorse55Posted 10/22/2013 4:30:48 PM
TC, the fallout fanbase is very split on what game is better, FO3 or New Vegas. If you like exploration more, FO3 is the better choice. IF you like Roleplay and decisions more, then NV might be better.

I enjoyed FO3 a lot better. So maybe pick up FO3 first since it came out first, then when you get to new vegas youll enjoy some of the upgrades in that game more.

Or just buy the game where the setting interests you more.
#39Lightborne(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 9:01:57 PM(edited)
BuyersRemorse55 posted...
TC, the fallout fanbase is very split on what game is better, FO3 or New Vegas. If you like exploration more, FO3 is the better choice. IF you like Roleplay and decisions more, then NV might be better.

I enjoyed FO3 a lot better. So maybe pick up FO3 first since it came out first, then when you get to new vegas youll enjoy some of the upgrades in that game more.

Or just buy the game where the setting interests you more.

I picked up fallout 3 goty with the new sly cooper today,I honestly did not like the environments from nv from.the trailers and 3 looks way more sci fi and unique to me and I do prefer exploration.