This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need some help with decidng on a new TV.

#1mohomadPosted 10/22/2013 2:59:52 PM
Hey guys I've been looking to get a new tv and have decided for now on these two from Amazon. They'll mostly be used for gaming and watching tv. They're both from Samsung and say 60Hz but one is 1080p and the other 720p. Will there be any noticeable difference between them when I'm playing a game or watching a show? If anyone has any other suggestions on a tv I should look for they would be welcome.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074FGNJ6

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078LSTWU
---
{3DS:0430-9159-6793} Pokemon Y:Genome
Psychic Safari: Espur, Drowzee, Girafarig
#2djwagonPosted 10/22/2013 4:10:16 PM
pm archizzy or secondhand1.you will get more help with them .then here
---
when I was here before I went by the screen name IMPORTER1..
#3BuyersRemorse55Posted 10/22/2013 4:21:46 PM
I would definatly look for a TV that's 1080p. Especially since the new consoles will start having games in 1080p. Not sure if the one you linked would be good or not, but I feel fetting a 720 would be wasteful since 1080p tvs have already been around for many years.
#4barrysshoesPosted 10/23/2013 2:34:22 AM
Anything but Panasonic for gaming. Input lag is so bad that I switched back to playing on my SDTV. Either get a Samsung or Vizio.
#5The_Dark_Slay3rPosted 10/23/2013 2:53:11 AM
That's crazy talk. Most people would recommend a Panasonic Plasma for gaming, unless you have a boatload of cash laying around.
#6barrysshoesPosted 10/23/2013 3:49:23 AM
The_Dark_Slay3r posted...
That's crazy talk. Most people would recommend a Panasonic Plasma for gaming, unless you have a boatload of cash laying around.

I've never heard of one person recommending a Panasonic as the best gaming tv. Literally every gaming/tv junkie I know all say that Panasonics are the worst due to issues with input lag.
#7xninjagrrlPosted 10/23/2013 4:31:25 AM
barrysshoes posted...
Anything but Panasonic for gaming. Input lag is so bad that I switched back to playing on my SDTV. Either get a Samsung or Vizio.

Really? Panasonic plasmas have the best response time, no lag. I would not touch a Panny LED or LCD though. In fact, plasmas generally are better for gaming since they have no input lag. Plus, they dont make everything you watch on tv have that fake soap opera home video camera look. My friend's new top o the line Samsung LED does this, it cant be turned off, and it is so annoying. It's quite nice to sports though.
---
Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.
#8barrysshoesPosted 10/23/2013 5:07:45 AM
xninjagrrl posted...
barrysshoes posted...

Really? Panasonic plasmas have the best response time, no lag. I would not touch a Panny LED or LCD though.

Even when I have my Panasonic plasma in "game mode", the lag is awful. *presses up on control stick to aim...waits 0.3 seconds...aiming icon moves on tv*. Been the same thing with every Panasonic I've, and my friends, have gamed on. Never experienced or seen this issue with Samsungs or Vizios.

Aside from gaming, Panasonics are the best imo.
#9DiScOrD tHe LuNaTiCPosted 10/23/2013 7:00:06 AM
TC that first one is very similar to the one I have(except I have the model without wi-fi). It's never given me a second's trouble and the picture quality is exceptional.
---
"Jon Jones and Bendo just slaying mother f***ers in the name of the lord" -- MICHALECOLE
#10secondhand1Posted 10/23/2013 8:02:11 AM
xninjagrrl posted...
barrysshoes posted...

Really? Panasonic plasmas have the best response time, no lag. I would not touch a Panny LED or LCD though. In fact, plasmas generally are better for gaming since they have no input lag. Plus, they dont make everything you watch on tv have that fake soap opera home video camera look. My friend's new top o the line Samsung LED does this, it cant be turned off, and it is so annoying. It's quite nice to sports though.

Let's clear a couple things up:

Response time is not the same thing as input lag. The former measures the time it takes for pixels to change from peak black to peak white and back again. The latter is the time it takes from when you push a button on an input device to the action being represented on the screen. All digital displays have input lag to some degree. You won't find one that is completely lag-free.

But here's the rub: There is no industry standard measurement for input lag, and everyone perceives it differently, so any numbers you see should be taken with a generous helping of salt.

As far as what's better for gaming, LCD or plasma (or DLP or CRT, for that matter), that's subjective. Not everyone desires the same performance. Some folks like motion smoothing. It makes my eyes vomit. But I'm not those people and if that makes them love their tv, then I'm all about it. Displays tend to perform equally across mediums You're not going to find one that is great for movies, but sucks for games. It either performs well, or it doesn't. Which is why I would always make sure it's a great tv first. If it's just gaming performance you're after, get a monitor.

What is objective, is that a plasma will outperform an LCD 8 days a week. It's simply the nature of the tech. Response time(!) and the ability to produce deeper blacks - which is the essence of contrast and in turn the essence of PQ. Much like moisture is the essence of wetness and wetness is the essence of beauty - is just inherently better on a plasma. Until, of course, you start getting into the 4, 5, 6k range, then that line becomes thinner.

That's not to say LCDs are crap, because they're not. One should always first determine how the set will be used, where it will reside and how much money can be thrown at it. Working within those constraints should net you a display you are happy with.
---
I don't row.