This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you ever take advantage of multiple save slots when playing a game?

#1HappyBullPosted 10/22/2013 10:29:51 PM
Honestly I never do and im not sure why lol. I just try to be as careful as possible to not screw up and have to start the entire game over from scratch or something. I think it may be a ocd thing; 1 game, 1 save file. :P

I guess this question mostly applies towards rpgs though as I cant see most other genres even needing the option for it.
#2NeVaRmoorePosted 10/22/2013 10:41:17 PM
I do for some games. But really only for parts that I just want to quickly re experience in a subsequent playthrough.
#3GuideToTheDarkPosted 10/22/2013 10:52:15 PM(edited)
Only when there are multiple different run types I can do, but this hasn't happened in a while. Last time was in a last-gen Hitman game.

Oh, and the Dark Brotherhood mansion quest in Oblivion.
---
Creating an engine that generates fun is high art.
#4scoobydoobydontPosted 10/23/2013 1:52:54 AM
I always do a new save slot whenever the option is present. I never rewrite over an old save unless forced. I'll even change save devices if I can to maximize saves, like for instance G-Force (yes, the kids game) I had max saves on three separate devices.

Also, in save anywhere games (Bethesda, Bioware, etc) I will save constantly. Finished a mission? Save. Started a mission? Save. Half way through a mission? Save. Halfway on the way to a mission? Save. I have no shame in "abusing" save anywhere, I wish every game had it.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png
#5FiyunPosted 10/23/2013 2:04:02 AM
I rather use them than standing there looking like a fool because I can't roll back due to poor choices.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/trashknight
#6simonbelmont2Posted 10/23/2013 2:05:31 AM
I will use multiple slots quite often as I find it safer that way, if you hit a glitch or bug you can just reload an earlier save. In Bethesda games (Elder Scrolls or Fallout) it also helps you manage different characters.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#7DougEInstructorPosted 10/23/2013 2:51:38 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8cifer520Posted 10/23/2013 3:50:39 AM
Nope. If I make a mistake I have to deal with it and I wouldn't have it any other way. That's the way games are designed to be played. If you make everything perfect in the first playthrough may as well toss the disc in the trash when you're done, no reason to ever play again except for that bout of nostalgia you'll get 2 or 3 years down the road.
#9dtmrPosted 10/23/2013 3:59:19 AM
cifer520 posted...
Nope. If I make a mistake I have to deal with it and I wouldn't have it any other way. That's the way games are designed to be played. If you make everything perfect in the first playthrough may as well toss the disc in the trash when you're done, no reason to ever play again except for that bout of nostalgia you'll get 2 or 3 years down the road.

If the game is designed to allow multiple saves, then that's the way the game is designed to be played.
---
Lakitu is a jerk. He lives in a cloud and throws AIDS at decent, hardworking Americans.
#10infinitexxPosted 10/23/2013 4:02:53 AM
Whenever it is an option, ofc. Even if you're of the mindset that you aren't going to chance any decisions you make, bugs and corruption are a thing, and not taking steps to protect yourself from them is stupid.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.