This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you ever take advantage of multiple save slots when playing a game?

#11vigorm0rtisPosted 10/23/2013 5:02:55 AM
Depends on the game.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF http://i.imgur.com/D9R0iaQ.gif
#12lightfighterPosted 10/23/2013 5:06:34 AM
I always do when playing buggy games...like Skyrim.
I'm a little OCD about quests being unable to be completed.
#13cifer520Posted 10/23/2013 5:10:59 AM
dtmr posted...
cifer520 posted...
Nope. If I make a mistake I have to deal with it and I wouldn't have it any other way. That's the way games are designed to be played. If you make everything perfect in the first playthrough may as well toss the disc in the trash when you're done, no reason to ever play again except for that bout of nostalgia you'll get 2 or 3 years down the road.

If the game is designed to allow multiple saves, then that's the way the game is designed to be played.

If a game is designed to allow multiple saves, it's because the dev took a precaution in case more than one person in the customer's household wants to play the game.
#14simonbelmont2Posted 10/23/2013 5:16:12 AM
cifer520 posted...
dtmr posted...
cifer520 posted...
Nope. If I make a mistake I have to deal with it and I wouldn't have it any other way. That's the way games are designed to be played. If you make everything perfect in the first playthrough may as well toss the disc in the trash when you're done, no reason to ever play again except for that bout of nostalgia you'll get 2 or 3 years down the road.

If the game is designed to allow multiple saves, then that's the way the game is designed to be played.

If a game is designed to allow multiple saves, it's because the dev took a precaution in case more than one person in the customer's household wants to play the game.

Yeah, but multiple saving is also a nice safeguard against save corruption or game breaking bugs. It would be unwise to play a game like Skyrim for example without using the multiple save feature.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#15cifer520Posted 10/23/2013 5:41:18 AM
That's an exception, doing multiple saves because of a notorious game. But for the most part it's just another thing that gamers have turned into an exploit. Think about it from the developer's pov, why go through all that effort to design a challenging and intentionally confusing experience?
#16JoboHotepPosted 10/23/2013 5:46:08 AM
infinitexx posted...
Whenever it is an option, ofc. Even if you're of the mindset that you aren't going to chance any decisions you make, bugs and corruption are a thing, and not taking steps to protect yourself from them is stupid.

^^^ This. Though I don't usually use more than 2-4 slots unless I want a slot for a certain event/part of the story.
---
If I don't meet you no more in this world then uh, I'll meet ya on the next one..And don't be late- Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child
#17simonbelmont2Posted 10/23/2013 5:48:21 AM
cifer520 posted...
That's an exception, doing multiple saves because of a notorious game. But for the most part it's just another thing that gamers have turned into an exploit. Think about it from the developer's pov, why go through all that effort to design a challenging and intentionally confusing experience?

I don't think it's an exception but it depends on the player's experiences. Personally I've always treated is a safeguard against bugs and not merely an exploit to undo bad decisions. Also if some players do see it as an exploit then that's fine too, there is nothing wrong with it.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#18Killah PriestPosted 10/23/2013 6:30:05 AM
I save so often and in different spots I use up all slots or end up with like 300 save games.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#19MacDofGlasgowPosted 10/23/2013 6:33:20 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
I always do a new save slot whenever the option is present. I never rewrite over an old save unless forced. I'll even change save devices if I can to maximize saves, like for instance G-Force (yes, the kids game) I had max saves on three separate devices.

Also, in save anywhere games (Bethesda, Bioware, etc) I will save constantly. Finished a mission? Save. Started a mission? Save. Half way through a mission? Save. Halfway on the way to a mission? Save. I have no shame in "abusing" save anywhere, I wish every game had it.

I'm pretty much the same. Oblivion and Skyrim along with Fallout 3 take up a huge proportion of my hard drive, even after I have deleted quite a few.
---
Backlog (6): Blue Dragon, Sacred 2, Risen, Mind Jack, X3, Dungeon Siege 3
#20omega1110Posted 10/23/2013 6:39:40 AM
I use multiple saves slots whenever I can, sometimes just as a backup in big open world games where glitches can be frequent, sometimes to see how different scenarios play out depending on a choice I make without having to play thru the whole game again, and sometimes just to show something I thought was cool to a friend later on.
---
" I thought you were going to fight alone; I
said come alone...I didn't say anything about me." G.O.B.