This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do generic hard drives work well?

#1Capocci007ASFPosted 10/29/2013 1:51:40 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Disk-Drive-Microsoft-Xbox-Slim/dp/B004L8XEGY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I need a hard drive to play Battlefield and was wondering If these cheap ones work well. Anyone have experience with them?
---
Go JETS GO!
Atlanta Falcons and Winnipeg Jets
#2beautifuldreamsPosted 10/29/2013 2:53:30 PM
i wouldn't recommend going 20gb, after formatting, only 13.9gb are available
---
nyuuuuuuuuu~
#3GrimKusanagiPosted 10/29/2013 2:58:45 PM
Mine works great. Actually I have far fewer errors and glitches than most people do with official HDD's. But atleast get a 40GB.
---
GT: GrimKusanagi / Current Playing: Dragon's Dogma
Pawn: Lashara / Mage
#4singhellotakuPosted 10/30/2013 2:24:11 AM
definitely stay away from the 20, BF3's various texture packs and dlc and so on monopolize a hefty 40gb of my hd all by themselves.
#5TheBlueStigPosted 10/30/2013 7:18:53 AM
Stay away from unofficial HDD's, they're not worth the risk of losing all your data, the slower data speeds, and the risk of getting banned and losing everything you bought digitally because you're using an illegally flashed counterfeit drive.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#6TheMuffinPosted 10/30/2013 8:31:57 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
Stay away from unofficial HDD's, they're not worth the risk of losing all your data, the slower data speeds, and the risk of getting banned and losing everything you bought digitally because you're using an illegally flashed counterfeit drive.

You keep spouting this but you don't understand what you're saying. All drives including aftermarket ones are Seagate 5200RPM laptop drives. They all read and write at the same speeds.
---
JascoD~ He said black ops 2, not Battlefield 3. CoD can be played at the same time you're making a sandwich.
#7TheBlueStigPosted 10/30/2013 9:10:12 AM
TheMuffin posted...
TheBlueStig posted...

You keep spouting this but you don't understand what you're saying. All drives including aftermarket ones are Seagate 5200RPM laptop drives. They all read and write at the same speeds.

From the official XBox forum moderators....."there are no supported 3rd party drives".....they can all get you banned.

Plus, there's the plain and simple fact that there are HDD's that run SLOWER than 5200rpm, usually counterfeit pieces of monkeys*** from China spammed all over ebay and Amazon and other places that don't police 3rd party sellers. Those are the ones that people end up with that end up losing all their saves or taking way longer to load games from.
---
#8fiasco86Posted 10/30/2013 10:21:24 AM(edited)
TheBlueStig posted...
From the official XBox forum moderators....."there are no supported 3rd party drives"

Ever heard of conflict of interests?

TheBlueStig posted...
Plus, there's the plain and simple fact that there are HDD's that run SLOWER than 5200rpm, usually counterfeit pieces of monkeys*** from China spammed all over ebay and Amazon and other places that don't police 3rd party sellers.

From Wikipedia:
The Xbox 360 uses standard 2.5" SATA hard disk drives (HDDs) held within custom enclosures...The hard drives themselves are manufactured by various companies, including Fujitsu, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi and Western Digital.

There's nothing special about the 360 HDD. It's just a standard SATA drive in a custom case. Anyone who gets their hands on a couple pieces of plastic and the firmware can make a 360 compatible hard drive that is virtually identical to an official drive (generally with the exception of the emulation software for original Xbox games).

TheBlueStig posted...
Those are the ones that people end up with that end up losing all their saves or taking way longer to load games from.

In about 2 years of being fairly active on this board, the only person I've seen whining about 3rd party hard drive problems has been you, and you've never used a 3rd party drive.

Additionally, the HDD that came with my 360s failed. I replaced it with a generic drive and had no problems.
---
Game Conquerors Top 100 Games of All Time
http://www.youtube.com/IveConqueredThatGame
#9MertensCWPosted 10/30/2013 8:02:15 PM
fiasco86 posted...

In about 2 years of being fairly active on this board, the only person I've seen whining about 3rd party hard drive problems has been you, and you've never used a 3rd party drive.

Additionally, the HDD that came with my 360s failed. I replaced it with a generic drive and had no problems.

Lol, true. Bluestig is the only person who i've seen complain about them.
One would think if they had failed and resulted in so many bans, we'd have read many complaints/warnings about them.
---
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.
#10TheBlueStigPosted 10/30/2013 8:18:16 PM
Since most of you don't pay attention to jack s***, you don't bother seeing the long list of topics that have been on this board over the last 2 years about lost saves, failed HDD's, and system bans, most of which was traced back to 3rd party HDD's that were either counterfeit pieces of chinese s*** that failed a few months after purchase, or they were illegally flashed to play XBox Originals which is what caused the ban.
---