This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When did game development get so sloppy?

#1Knight_Rider_3KPosted 10/29/2013 11:43:47 PM
3 new games that run like crap.

GTA V: Online is an absolute mess (well documented won't waste your time)

Batman Origins: Just can't be played for 10 mins without freezing

Assassins Creed Black Flag: Servers are down so I can't even redeem content to get started (why not use the redeem code on the dash like everyone else, instead of having to redeem in game.)

Do developers not use testers anymore? Do these testers just suck? Can I get paid for testing these games for these companies?
---
GTA V Online Crew: Black Mask Empire
#2desert_santaPosted 10/30/2013 12:28:54 AM
Don't know about GTA since I do not game online. But considering how many millions of gamers bought the game and tried to log onto the servers simultaneously......no surprise they had problems. It is my only 360 game where the console does not run silently after having installed.

Only played 45 minutes of Arkham Origins. No freezing but I did experience a one second slowdown or screen tear during two cutscenes.

Preordered Black Flag on the wii u and that got delayed here so.......
#3GamerguymassPosted 10/30/2013 12:41:44 AM
This generation pretty much. Since online is the big thing now developers basically half ass their programming and bug testing to shove the game out the door and then fix it after. A big part of this is so they can then release the DLC that they took out of the original game and charge 10-15 dollars for that extra four to five hours of content. The fact that even years later all this DLC is the same price as when it first came out shows how greedy they are. Pretty pathetic when a game is 20 dollars or less brand new and yet the DLC for it is 30-50 dollars still.
---
Now Playing: "The Hunt for the Two Missing Nintendo 64 Games"
An expansion came out, but I'm still a third of the way through!
#4Dragon NexusPosted 10/30/2013 5:01:22 AM
I think it was around 1977 when the Atari 2600 came out. It might have been earlier though.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#5CyricsServantPosted 10/30/2013 5:09:39 AM(edited)
Knight_Rider_3K posted...
Do developers not use testers anymore?

They do, but unfortunately just because testers identify serious issues that doesn't mean publishers are willing to deviate from a game's release schedule.

Gamerguymass posted...
This generation pretty much. Since online is the big thing now developers basically half ass their programming and bug testing to shove the game out the door and then fix it after.

This. It was an issue for some PC games before this gen, but for the same exact reason Gamerguymass stated. Games can be easily patched after release. That's why you get games like Fallout New Vegas; just to refresh everyone's recollection, the 360 version of the game launched with a very annoying and common save corruption issue which didn't get patched for over a month.
#6SunDevil77Posted 10/30/2013 5:34:58 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
I think it was around 1977 when the Atari 2600 came out. It might have been earlier though.

---
Hell, it's about time.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#7kryllion007Posted 10/30/2013 6:06:28 AM
CyricsServant posted...
They do, but unfortunately just because testers identify serious issues that doesn't mean publishers are willing to deviate from a game's release schedule.

Also every single thing you do to a game's code has the potential to cause a bug somewhere. It's why non-crash and meltdown your harddrive bugs often times get left alone. Because trying to fix something small could set back bug fixing and testing days if it spawns some monster save corruptor.
#8AWarAmp84Posted 10/30/2013 6:12:08 AM
The moment developers realized that were able to fix a game after its release is the moment they got sloppy. Gamers have become game testers.
---
Before you comment on one of my posts, please research the Dunning-Kruger effect. Best game of all time: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Gamefaqs mods are a joke.
#9TimeShinigamiPosted 10/30/2013 6:13:37 AM
When Publishers got powerful enough to have complete control. No longer can a Dev Studio make a stand, or at least not with everybody getting fired. See Infinity Ward/Respawn.

Also, this is why Microsoft made patches so stupidly expensive. The idea was to prevent console games being rushed out, buggy as hell, and then being patched. It was a really big (justified) fear when the Xbox 1 came out, and this was to try and head off the pass, so to speak. Now it hurts us more then them, as Publishers will simply put out a game and refuse to patch it (Fez, Mass Effect 3's MP bugs, etc.).
---
Not changing this sig until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
GT- ShinigamiOfTime
#10ACHEEKSMALLOYPosted 10/30/2013 6:21:38 AM
Knight_Rider_3K posted...
Do developers not use testers anymore? Do these testers just suck? Can I get paid for testing these games for these companies?

2 of your issues are server related which arent tested by game testers. The only way to truly test a game like that is to run an open beta to see server strain but that costs money so many companies dont.
---
Gamertag: ALMIGHTY CHEEKS
http://www.youtube.com/ALMIGHTYCHEEKS